The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Correctable error (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99016-correctable-error.html)

Sharpshooternes Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:27pm

Correctable error

What do you do when you have a unawarded free throw at the end of the first half. Example: Team A is fouled just before end of half. It is the 7th foul but officials are told 6th. It is discovered during half time. How is play resumed? Are the freethows counted in the first half or second half? Differences in HS NCAA? Ball comes in at division line with AP arrow correct?

referee99 Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:36pm

2.10.1 situation c:

2.10.1 SITUATION C: A1 is fouled with one second remaining in the second quarter. Team A is awarded a throw-in and A1 passes the ball inbounds to A2, the horn sounds ending the quarter. As officials enter the court from the half-time intermission, the scorer informs the Referee that A1 should have been awarded one-and-one bonus situation. RULING: The error is discovered within the correctable error timeframe, and shall be corrected. A1 is awarded a one-and-one bonus situation with the lane cleared. Resume play from the point of interruption, which is an alternating-possession throw-in to start the third quarter. (2- 10-1a; 2-10-6; 5-6-2 Exception 3)

Adam Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 949505)
What do you do when you have a unawarded free throw at the end of the first half. Example: Team A is fouled just before end of half. It is the 7th foul but officials are told 6th. It is discovered during half time. How is play resumed? Are the freethows counted in the first half or second half? Differences in HS NCAA? Ball comes in at division line with AP arrow correct?

Shoot the shots at the beginning of the 3rd quarter. I'd have the shot at the team's 1st half basket, but this is hardly a point of contention for me. Yes, you'd start the 3rd quarter with an AP throw in at the division line.

frezer11 Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:38pm

Quote:

Start by shooting the 1-1 with lanes cleared, and when the first is missed or second is completed, start the second half with the arrow. Funny, I haven't had a correctable error in about 10 years, but I had almost the same thing happen in December, only ours was discovered just before the 4th quarter. We screwed it up though and started the 4th with a 1-1, occupied lanes, and played the result

BryanV21 Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:41pm

Quote:

The error can be corrected, as the allowable time for such hasn't passed. Now, it would be part of the first half, as it can't carry over into the second. That means you should do the following...

1. wait until the team's come out, and explain the error to both coaches.

2. Shoot the 1-and-1 free throws with the lanes clear, since there's no time on the clock. If one or both are hit, those points shall be recorded as being scored in the first half.

3. Since there was no time left in the half, it doesn't matter if the shooter hits both free throws, in which case Team B would have gotten the ball. Play is resumed as it normally would be for the second half, meaning we go to the AP arrow.

La Rikardo Sat Jan 10, 2015 07:31pm

Since the second quarter did not end, there should be an intermission following the completion of the free throw(s)! :D

Nevadaref Sat Jan 10, 2015 07:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 949513)
The error can be corrected, as the allowable time for such hasn't passed. Now, it would be part of the first half, as it can't carry over into the second. That means you should do the following...

1. wait until the team's come out, and explain the error to both coaches.

2. Shoot the 1-and-1 free throws with the lanes clear, since there's no time on the clock. If one or both are hit, those points shall be recorded as being scored in the first half.

3. Since there was no time left in the half, it doesn't matter if the shooter hits both free throws, in which case Team B would have gotten the ball. Play is resumed as it normally would be for the second half, meaning we go to the AP arrow.

All very nice in theory, but do you have a rule citation for your thesis that a correctable error cannot carry-over from one period to the next?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 949560)
All very nice in theory, but do you have a rule citation for your thesis that a correctable error cannot carry-over from one period to the next?

I can't remember off hand which rule it is but no penalty can carry over to another period. It has been like that for over 45 years.

MTD, Sr.

frezer11 Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 949601)
I can't remember off hand which rule it is but not penalty can carry over to another period. It has been like that for over 45 years.

MTD, Sr.

Huh?????? Never heard this. The correctable error (2-10) rule specifically states when you are able to correct an error, and no mention is made about not being able to carry over to another period.

frezer11 Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 949560)

I don't think he implied that they can't?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 949607)
Huh?????? Never heard this. The correctable error (2-10) rule specifically states when you are able to correct an error, and no mention is made about not being able to carry over to another period.

What I meant that the FTs for the CE are considered part of the Period in which they should have been attempted.

A good example of a penalty not carrying over to the next period is B1 committing a IPF against A1 just before the Signal sound to end the First Quarter (NFHS) and First Half (NCAA M & W); and for the sake of disucssion we will assume the game is a game being player under NFHS Rules. The Team B has the AP Arrow. A1 will attempt two FTs with the FT Lane cleared before the one minute period between the First and Second Quarter. Team A will not receive the ball for a TI nearest the sport of B1's IPF to start the Second Quarter, but Team B will receive the ball at the Division Line opposite the Scorer's Table per the AP Arrow to start the Second Quarter.

MTD, Sr.

frezer11 Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 949612)
What I meant that the FTs for the CE are considered part of the Period in which they should have been attempted.

A good example of a penalty not carrying over to the next period is B1 committing a IPF against A1 just before the Signal sound to end the First Quarter (NFHS) and First Half (NCAA M & W); and for the sake of disucssion we will assume the game is a game being player under NFHS Rules. The Team B has the AP Arrow. A1 will attempt two FTs with the FT Lane cleared before the one minute period between the First and Second Quarter. Team A will not receive the ball for a TI nearest the sport of B1's IPF to start the Second Quarter, but Team B will receive the ball at the Division Line opposite the Scorer's Table per the AP Arrow to start the Second Quarter.

MTD, Sr.

Got ya. Based on your previous posts on this forum, that seemed out of place, to the point where I then starting questioning my own knowledge!!

just another ref Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 949601)
I can't remember off hand which rule it is but no penalty can carry over to another period. It has been like that for over 45 years.

MTD, Sr.

5-6-2 exceptions 3: No penalty or part of a penalty carries over from one quarter or extra period to the next, except when a correctable error, as in 2-10 is rectified.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 949612)

MTD, Sr.

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 949616)
5-6-2 exceptions 3: No penalty or part of a penalty carries over from one quarter or extra period to the next, except when a correctable error, as in 2-10 is rectified.

NFHS R5-S6-A2, Exception 3 really means that the penalty (meaning FTs but excluding TIs) for a CE can be applied in the next Period if the CE Time Limit has not expired.

Lets tweak the play that I described above. For some reason the Game Officials fell asleep and forgot to award A1 his/her two FTs until immediately after Team B had inbounded the AP TI to start the Second Quarter. A1 would attempt his two FTs but Team B would receive the Ball for a TI nearest the spot of the ball when the Officials stopped play to administer A1 his two FTs. Team A would not receive the Ball for a TI after A1's FTs as part of the Penalty for B1's IPF at the end of the First Quarter.

MTD, Sr.

just another ref Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 949618)
NFHS R5-S6-A2, Exception 3 really means that the penalty (meaning FTs but excluding TIs) for a CE can be applied in the next Period if the CE Time Limit has not expired.

Right. As opposed to what YOU said.

Quote:

NO penalty may carry over.......