The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   basket or not? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/990-basket-not.html)

Art N Thu Oct 19, 2000 06:33pm

I think we have had this before, if so I appologise in advance...
A2 fouls B2 under the boards. Ref blows the whistle while A1's shot is in flight. Is basket good or ball dead? If good, is throw from deisgnated spot (since it was a foul) or run the baseline after a basket?

PAULK1 Thu Oct 19, 2000 09:35pm

NF: see rule book 6-7 exception 3

The ball doesn't become dead because of the foul.

If the goal is made ,or missed before the bonus B
will get the ball at the spot of the foul(score the
basket if made). If the shot is missed after the bonus is in effect B2 will shoot the bonus(score the basket if made).

rpwall Thu Oct 19, 2000 09:49pm

basket or not?

Here's my take ...

NFHS 6-7-9 says the ball remains live until the try ends. So you would count the basket and Team B would be able to run the baseline as per 7-5-7.

NCAA 6-6-1 is basically the same regarding the live ball situation, so you would count the basket. The ruling for A.R.12 under 7-5-6 specifies that team B can run the baseline.

PAULK1 Thu Oct 19, 2000 10:47pm

Art,
While in college they may make that exception
in NF they do not see NF 7-5-5 rule book or NF 7.5.2c
in the case book.

bob jenkins Fri Oct 20, 2000 08:03am

Quote:

Originally posted by PAULK1
Art,
While in college they may make that exception
in NF they do not see NF 7-5-5 rule book or NF 7.5.2c
in the case book.

Paul --

I disagree. The case you cited has the foul occurring *before the try* -- IOW, the ball became dead immediately upon the foul, and no basket was scored. Thus, in this case, the throw in is from a designated spot.

In the case that started this thread, the try was already in flight when the foul occurred. The try was good, and counts (as you pointed out in your first post in this thread). Since the basket was good, B gets to run the end-line.

See case 6.7B for an example (in this case the foul occurs during a free-throw, but that distinction doesn't matter).

PAULK1 Fri Oct 20, 2000 03:38pm

Bob,
T really doesn't matter if the ball was released before or after the foul due to continuous motion. Look at CB 7.5.5
A scores and before B has completed the throw-in A2 fouls the inbound spot is at the spot closest to the foul and B loses the right to run the endline. The NCAA revised its rules this year to correct this but NF still hasn't. The only exception I can find is after a delay warning on the defense the inbounding team may still run the endline.

fshrake Sat Oct 21, 2000 12:13am

If this was a HS game, I would count the basket and give A2 his free throw. Wether or not B could run the endline would depend on the result of the free throw. A makes it then B has the endline. Miss it and ball is still in play.

BktBallRef Sat Oct 21, 2000 01:31am

Quote:

Originally posted by fshrake
If this was a HS game, I would count the basket and give A2 his free throw. Wether or not B could run the endline would depend on the result of the free throw. A makes it then B has the endline. Miss it and ball is still in play.
Counting the basket is the correct call. But A2 fouled B2, so there are no FTs for A2.

Glenn Lampman Sat Oct 21, 2000 05:49pm

A no-brainer! Basket is good if made. If in bonus B2 shoots if not they get the ball on the end line with the right to run the line

moose69 Wed Oct 25, 2000 10:28pm

count the hoop, award one foul shot if the basket is made if the foul occured before the shooter returned to the ground.

mick Wed Oct 25, 2000 10:46pm

Are you sure?

Quote:

Originally posted by moose69
count the hoop, award one foul shot if the basket is made if the foul occured before the shooter returned to the ground.
Yo, moose69,
Reread that, why don'tcha.;)
mick

Glenn Lampman Fri Oct 27, 2000 01:20pm

basket or not

Moose69
confusion reigns.. Why would you give the shooter A1 a foul shot when A2 fouled?? The only way there is a spot throw in in this situation is if the foul occured BEFORE the shot,or After the shot, prior to the throw in, or during the throw in that results in foul shots by B, or by a foul or throw in violation by B that would cause B to lose possesion. If the basket counts, B has the right to run the end line....