The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   End of Game Clock- Rule vs GM (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98877-end-game-clock-rule-vs-gm.html)

wyo96 Thu Dec 18, 2014 04:10pm

End of Game Clock- Rule vs GM

Girls Varsity, 7.2 sec left in 4th, home (H) team down by 11. (30-19, neither side is scoring much)

H1 has ball on side line for throw in. H1 throws ball, and V1 slaps it, ball bounces inbounds and goes back out, will be Home ball again. All of this happens bang-bang. So fast that the administering official never chopped the clock.

Clock does not start, so 7.2 still on clock.

No one on the crew has definite knowledge, just that the clock did not start/stop. All agree that it SHOULD have started. (would any on you have definite knowledge in this situation)

What do you do?

1; Nothing, no definite knowledge.
2: Have timer start/stop clock quick so "reaction time" goes off. (.3 to .4 sec I would guess)_
3: Nothing, Game management dictates this is not critical, so play on.

Is your answer different in a 2 point game? (Game Management?)
Is it different if 6:25 is left on the clock?

MD Longhorn Thu Dec 18, 2014 04:13pm

You can only take time off the clock (or put it back on) if you have definite knowledge. I don't see how this would be possible in the scenario you posted.

Raymond Thu Dec 18, 2014 04:15pm

I have a college supervisor who says in his games we are to take 0.3 off the clock in such situations.

Adam Thu Dec 18, 2014 04:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyo96 (Post 947384)
Girls Varsity, 7.2 sec left in 4th, home (H) team down by 11. (30-19, neither side is scoring much)

H1 has ball on side line for throw in. H1 throws ball, and V1 slaps it, ball bounces inbounds and goes back out, will be Home ball again. All of this happens bang-bang. So fast that the administering official never chopped the clock.

Clock does not start, so 7.2 still on clock.

No one on the crew has definite knowledge, just that the clock did not start/stop. All agree that it SHOULD have started. (would any on you have definite knowledge in this situation)

What do you do?

1; Nothing, no definite knowledge.
2: Have timer start/stop clock quick so "reaction time" goes off. (.3 to .4 sec I would guess)_
3: Nothing, Game management dictates this is not critical, so play on.

Is your answer different in a 2 point game? (Game Management?)
Is it different if 6:25 is left on the clock?

You'll spend more time trying to correct the clock than you would just letting it play out. I'm not worrying about this regardless of the circumstances (score or time left).

BatteryPowered Thu Dec 18, 2014 04:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 947387)
You'll spend more time trying to correct the clock than you would just letting it play out. I'm not worrying about this regardless of the circumstances (score or time left).

Amen!!!

Even in varsity games at some schools in our area we are elated when we go an entire game with the clock starting and stopping properly in normal situations. It would take some of these operators a good 15 minutes to figure out how to take 0.3 off the clock.

Play on...

BigCat Thu Dec 18, 2014 05:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 947386)
I have a college supervisor who says in his games we are to take 0.3 off the clock in such situations.

we dont do that but ive heard about it. where does it come from? the .3 rule says player cant possess ball and shoot if .3 or less left. that doesnt really mean every touch in bounds always takes up at least .3. maybe it does...i just havnt seen anything saying that...

APG Thu Dec 18, 2014 07:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 947394)
we dont do that but ive heard about it. where does it come from? the .3 rule says player cant possess ball and shoot if .3 or less left. that doesnt really mean every touch in bounds always takes up at least .3. maybe it does...i just havnt seen anything saying that...

It comes from the NBA rule that mandates that a ball legally touched inbounds must result in at least .3 coming off the clock (well at least if no reply is being used...replay can go back and take only .2 or .1 off the clock).

AremRed Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:16pm

Worked a Varsity game last year that was a 2 point game in the final minute. Winning team was inbounding near the division line with about 7.5 seconds left, defender immediately slapped ball out of bounds. I'm C tableside. I look at the clock, no time had come off. Winning coach behind me starts screaming to take time off. I tell him we didn't have definite knowledge, etc. and can't take time off. I turn back to the court and here comes Trail (also the R) across the court straight to the timer where he takes off .3 seconds. Not sure if the losing coach called the assignor but I'd like to hear how that conversation went.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 947386)

BNR:

What NCAA Rule does your college supervisor use to defend his position?

MTD, Sr.

Raymond Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 947441)
BNR:

What NCAA Rule does your college supervisor use to defend his position?

MTD, Sr.

See APG's response above...We didn't question it, so he had no need to defend it.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 947444)
See APG's response above...I didn't question it.

Rhetrical question: How can a college supervisor apply and NBA/WNBA rule to the college game?

MTD, Sr.

Raymond Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 947445)
Rhetrical question: How can a college supervisor apply and NBA/WNBA rule to the college game?

MTD, Sr.

Rhetorical answer.:p

AremRed Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 947446)

Rhetrical* :D

AremRed Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 947445)

MTD, Sr.

I think you'll have to ask his supervisor on that one Mark.

Adam Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 947446)

Ad hominem retort.