The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Proper application for correctable error? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98832-proper-application-correctable-error.html)

bainsey Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:29pm

Proper application for correctable error?

Let's say A-1 is shooting one free throw. A-2 steps into the lane before the release, but the T doesn't catch it (two man crew), and the free throw is good.

B takes the ensuing the throw-in, and gets to the division line when the new T has a "wait a minute" moment, and blows his whistle. He calls his partner over and quietly discusses whether A-2 stepped in. Definite knowledge is offered, and the new L cancels the basket.

While this is definitely within the time frame of a correctable error, is this a proper application of it? Aren't correctable errors more about what should have been -- or haven't been -- assessed?

Raymond Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:32pm

CE rules are for errors in awarding or not awarding free throws or points. Missing a violation does not fall under that category.

j51969 Fri Dec 12, 2014 02:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 946644)
Let's say A-1 is shooting one free throw. A-2 steps into the lane before the release, but the T doesn't catch it (two man crew), and the free throw is good.

B takes the ensuing the throw-in, and gets to the division line when the new T has a "wait a minute" moment, and blows his whistle. He calls his partner over and quietly discusses whether A-2 stepped in. Definite knowledge is offered, and the new L cancels the basket.

While this is definitely within the time frame of a correctable error, is this a proper application of it? Aren't correctable errors more about what should have been -- or haven't been -- assessed?

Sound to me like you missed it twice. If the other official was 100% sure A-2 violated they should have blown it dead as soon as the T didn't get it. Once B secured the ball for the inbound you are eating that one.

La Rikardo Fri Dec 12, 2014 02:35pm

My gut feeling is that once the officials allow the ball to become live for B's throw-in, their opportunity to call the violation by A2 is passed. However, I can't find a rule reference that explicitly puts a deadline on when the officials are allowed to make or change a judgment call. Any guidance?

frezer11 Fri Dec 12, 2014 02:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by La Rikardo (Post 946666)
My gut feeling is that once the officials allow the ball to become live for B's throw-in, their opportunity to call the violation by A2 is passed. However, I can't find a rule reference that explicitly puts a deadline on when the officials are allowed to make or change a judgment call. Any guidance?

I would say even before the ball becomes live, if you wait even so long as to after the ball goes through the hoop, you're probably too late, simply because of the problems a late whistle in this scenario would cause. Similar to if you were to wait on a last second, half court shot that was NOT released before the horn, if you wait until it goes in to make the call, you're going to be causing yourself problems. Either get it right away, or they got away with one

Nevadaref Fri Dec 12, 2014 02:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by La Rikardo (Post 946666)

Same as if A1 had traveled while making a lay-up. You have to make the call when it happens, not after the opponent advances the ball to half-court.

AremRed Fri Dec 12, 2014 03:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by j51969 (Post 946663)
Sound to me like you missed it twice. If the other official was 100% sure A-2 violated they should have blown it dead as soon as the T didn't get it. Once B secured the ball for the inbound you are eating that one.

It wasn't the other official, it was the primary (Trail) official who saw it, missed it, then had a "oh I missed that, I should correct it" moment.

La Rikardo Fri Dec 12, 2014 03:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 946668)
I would say even before the ball becomes live, if you wait even so long as to after the ball goes through the hoop, you're probably too late, simply because of the problems a late whistle in this scenario would cause. Similar to if you were to wait on a last second, half court shot that was NOT released before the horn, if you wait until it goes in to make the call, you're going to be causing yourself problems. Either get it right away, or they got away with one

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 946669)
Same as if A1 had traveled while making a lay-up. You have to make the call when it happens, not after the opponent advances the ball to half-court.

I certainly agree, and I don't think I'd ever make a call more than a second after I observe it, I'm just wondering if there's a rule reference that forbids the officials making or changing a decision after some defined deadline.

JRutledge Fri Dec 12, 2014 03:51pm

There are 5 correctable errors in Rule 2-10, this is not one of them.
  1. Failure to Award a merited FT
  2. Awarding an unmerited FT
  3. Permitting a wrong player to attempt a FT
  4. Attempting a FT at the wrong basket
  5. Erroneously counting or canceling a score

Peace

BillyMac Fri Dec 12, 2014 05:16pm

Show Me The Hand ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 946681)
There are 5 correctable errors in Rule 2-10, this is not one of them.
  1. Failure to Award a merited FT
  2. Awarding an unmerited FT
  3. Permitting a wrong player to attempt a FT
  4. Attempting a FT at the wrong basket
  5. Erroneously counting or canceling a score

And all, but one, are about free throws.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7534/1...c66a889c_m.jpg

BigCat Fri Dec 12, 2014 06:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 946687)
And all, but one, are about free throws.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7534/1...c66a889c_m.jpg

your HAND picture contains the following statement. this was on our test...

"ALL errors must be corrected before the second live ball"

its just not true. example--player fouled shooting a 3. wrong player goes to the line. that is the error. you bounce him the ball for first FT(live ball)....second FT(second live ball)...third free throw(3rd live ball)...

clock has not run so you can still correct the error...which is why rule says it must be corrected during the first dead ball after the clock has started..the question on the test did not say whether the clock was running or not. ALL errors do not have to be corrected before the second live ball...

sorry to bring that up here. actually, its Billy's fault for the drawing.

bainsey Fri Dec 12, 2014 09:16pm

Why is the wrong player on the middle finger?

BillyMac Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:01pm

Year Of The Cat (Al Stewart, 1976)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 946692)
your HAND picture contains the following statement. this was on our test..."ALL errors must be corrected before the second live ball" its just not true. ..which is why rule says it must be corrected during the first dead ball after the clock has started...

BigCat is correct:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3117/3...1520c5cc_m.jpg

bob jenkins Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:16pm

I'm all for pictures, but the "hand" doesn't really seem to add anything to this discussion for remembering correctable errors, at least to me.

BillyMac Sat Dec 13, 2014 08:51am

It Can Also Be Made Into A Knuckle Sandwich ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 946710)
I'm all for pictures, but the "hand" doesn't really seem to add anything to this discussion for remembering correctable errors, at least to me.

IAABO believes that it's an easy way (for beginning officials) to remember that there are only five correctable errors, and that four of them, the four fingers, have to do with free throws, whereas the fifth, the thumb, is about canceling, or counting, in error, a score.

Unfortunately, as Big Cat pointed out, IAABO could have done a better job with labeling.

With the exception of the poor labeling, I believe that it's a pretty good mnemonic device.