The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 10, 2014, 05:33pm
C'mon man!!

Hair retention and headbands

Is there a difference between hair retention devices and head bands? It is common to see around these parts girls that have different colored rubber bands or hair elastics. They also wear really thin maybe .5 inches headbands that encircle the head for hair retention not sweat control. Is there a difference?

Also, just heard about one of our officials making a big stink about pink head bands for cancer awareness. She was right by rule but what do you all do?
Old Wed Dec 10, 2014, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 3-5-4-b and d
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Dec 10, 2014, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

The NFHS clarified the definition of a headband a couple of years ago. Were you officiating then?

I directly asked the Nevada state association about pink items in support of cancer and was told that they are all ok. That is a good ruling as it doesn't put the game officials in the position of seeming heartless.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2014, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

I'd allow pink and say I thought it was beige if questioned.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2014, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I'd allow pink and say I thought it was beige if questioned.
Being anything other than truthful and honest is a very poor idea for a game official.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2014, 11:02pm
Administrator

Hair retention! Is this some new medical break through for us bald guys?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Dec 11, 2014, 04:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I directly asked the Nevada state association about pink items in support of cancer and was told that they are all ok. That is a good ruling as it doesn't put the game officials in the position of seeming heartless.
I wish all states would do this. I had to be the heartless guy twice in the same season two years ago. In NY we have "pink month" just as the NCAA does so the girls can do whatever they want - within the rules - in regards to this in February. I had to tell the same kid in two separate January games she couldn't wear her pink head band that was a tribute to her mother who was a survivor.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Dec 11, 2014, 07:26am
Esteemed Forum Member

Easy Peasey Lemon Squeezy ...

If it goes around hair, then it's a hair control device (ponytail holders), and does not fall under any color restrictions.

It it goes around the head (even prewrap) then it's a headband, and does fall under color restrictions.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 11, 2014, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

From Kansas High School Assoc.

HEADBANDS VS. HAIR CONTROL DEVICES
Headbands go around the entire head and include items such as: elastic strips, elastic bands, pre-wrap, moisture-absorbing terry cloth, other similar items. Headbands do not have knots in them – cloth with a knot in the back tied around the head is illegal. Headbands must be worn on the forehead/crown, be nonabrasive, unadorned, and a maximum of 2 inches. The colors permitted for headbands and wristbands are white, black, beige, or a school color. Only one headband may be worn by each player. If more than one player is wearing a headband or wristband they all must be wearing the same color, although they may be a different style. Only one school or manufacturer logo is permitted. Head decorations (like ribbons) are prohibited.
Ponytail holders are considered hair control devices and do not come under the restrictions of color, maximum size, logo restrictions and team uniformity. Hair control devices just go around hair – not the head.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2014, 05:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Oh, Give Me A Home Where The Buffalo Roam ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
From Kansas High School Assoc. ... Headbands do not have knots in them – cloth with a knot in the back tied around the head is illegal ... The colors permitted for headbands and wristbands are white, black, beige, or a school color ... Head decorations (like ribbons) are prohibited.
A few questions.

What's the problem with a piece of cloth, of a legal color, being tied around the head with a knot? Prewrap can be tied in a knot, right?

Kansas is still using "school color" instead of the predominate color of the uniform jersey?

Why can't ribbons be used as a hair control device, as a ribbon tied in an knot being used as a ponytail holder? In this specific case, the ribbon is not being used as a decoration, but as a method of controlling hair.

Yet another great example of "When in Rome ...".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 12, 2014, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Too Far...

Are you telling me that there are some of you that actually enforce the rule to the letter regarding pink headbands for cancer awareness in a high school game? I have to say that I personally find that going a bit too far as does our organization. Yes a rule is a rule but really.....we have teams that wear pink uniforms to bring awareness. We wear pink whistles to help promote awareness. Sometimes you just have to be a human being and not a robot when officiating.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2014, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCAAREF View Post
Are you telling me that there are some of you that actually enforce the rule to the letter regarding pink headbands for cancer awareness in a high school game? I have to say that I personally find that going a bit too far as does our organization. Yes a rule is a rule but really.....we have teams that wear pink uniforms to bring awareness. We wear pink whistles to help promote awareness. Sometimes you just have to be a human being and not a robot when officiating.
We have a whole month here where the state association allows teams to wear pink. Wear it then.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Dec 12, 2014, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Headbands? Hair retention devices? I see no headbands or hair retention devices.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Dec 12, 2014, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCAAREF View Post

"Coach (or AD), you cleared this with the state, right?"

Just like the "this is for medical reasons" question for sleeves in years past.
Old Sat Dec 13, 2014, 12:35am
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I wish all states would do this. I had to be the heartless guy twice in the same season two years ago. In NY we have "pink month" just as the NCAA does so the girls can do whatever they want - within the rules - in regards to this in February. I had to tell the same kid in two separate January games she couldn't wear her pink head band that was a tribute to her mother who was a survivor.
At our last association meetings, the MHSAA person who conducted our rules change session announced that advance approval is no longer needed in our state for tribute games (military, cancer, etc) where teams wear special uniforms, provided all other uniform rules are met.

Extrapolating, it would follow that in our state, a player could wear a pink head band since it matched the predominant color of the uniform (assuming they wore the customary pink color for breast cancer).

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball