The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Add-on Discussion to Sleeves (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98810-add-discussion-sleeves.html)

saluki34 Wed Dec 10, 2014 01:10am

Add-on Discussion to Sleeves

Had this situation in a G-V game.

After the captains meeting where both coaches acknowledged that their players were properly/legally uniformed, I notice A1 wearing white padded leg sleeves and A2/A3 Wearing Black padded leg sleeves. I notify A-Coach and tell him someone needs to take off their sleeves, as they all have to match. He proceeds to tell me that the A1 sleeve is really a "brace" and is ok to wear. I tell him that a sleeve is not a brace and someone has to take their sleeves off to match. End of conversation. I relay the conversation to the R.

During player introductions, A-Coach approaches the R and asks about the sleeve rule. R says the same thing and that players will not be allowed to play unless they all match colors. End of conversation

A-Coach sends his 5 starters to the court to begin the game, including A1,A2,A3.
The R wacks the coach for illegal uniforms and not having his players legally equipped.

Game starts with FTs, A-Coach approaches R and states that if he would have known he would have been T'd, he would have made them change.

During the FTs for the T, A2/A3 remove their sleeves and are ready to play when we inbound the ball.

So, was the T warranted or should we have held up the game to allow the players to remove sleeves etc?

Thoughts/comments?

APG Wed Dec 10, 2014 01:16am

No the T isn't warranted (for the simple fact of the players wearing the sleeves). Sleeves are considered equipment and apparel and not the uniform. The penalty for not conforming with the restrictions in this section is the player is either not allowed in the game or is taken out of the game.

Raymond Wed Dec 10, 2014 01:18am

I believe it is only a T for illegal jerseys.

Now, if you want to say the T was for turning the game into an action-less contest, or unsporting behavior by the coach for being an a$$, I'm good with that. :D

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Dec 10, 2014 03:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 946292)
I believe it is only a T for illegal jerseys.

Now, if you want to say the T was for turning the game into an action-less contest, or unsporting behavior by the coach for being an a$$, I'm good with that. :D

BNR:

Great call.

MTD, Sr.

JetMetFan Wed Dec 10, 2014 08:01am

As was stated, no, the T isn't warranted.

Quote:

*3.5.3 SITUATION B:

Substitute A6 reports to enter the game to replace A1. A5 is wearing a beige compression sleeve on his/her arm and leg. A6 is wearing a black leg compression sleeve.

RULING: A6 is not allowed to enter because the rule requires all teammates to wear the same color sleeves. No penalty is involved. A6 simply cannot participate until the color restriction is corrected. (3-5-3)
As for this...

Quote:

Originally Posted by saluki34 (Post 946290)
I notify A-Coach and tell him someone needs to take off their sleeves

...don't tell the coach or player that a player has to take off the sleeve. Tell them they can't play if they wear it. You don't want to be in a situation where you're telling a player to remove an item that's protecting an injury.

BryanV21 Wed Dec 10, 2014 09:55am

And you can tell that coach, that per the NFHS, a brace is an item that has straps and/or hinges, or has a hole for the kneecap. Doesn't sound like the item this player was wearing fits that description.

saluki34 Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:51am

The "Brace" was nothing more than a padded knee sleeve, with no hole for kneecap or any bracing or straps.

Nevadaref Wed Dec 10, 2014 02:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 946291)
No the T isn't warranted (for the simple fact of the players wearing the sleeves). Sleeves are considered equipment and apparel and not the uniform. The penalty for not conforming with the restrictions in this section is the player is either not allowed in the game or is taken out of the game.

Correct, and as previously discussed on this forum a few days ago, the only warranted technical foul in a case involving the equipment of starters is if they delay the start of the half by more than one minute.

Sharpshooternes Wed Dec 10, 2014 04:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 946365)
Correct, and as previously discussed on this forum a few days ago, the only warranted technical foul in a case involving the equipment of starters is if they delay the start of the half by more than one minute.

Is the coach allowed to change starters without penalty to conform to the sleeve rule, for example if the players refuse to remove mismatched sleeves?

bob jenkins Wed Dec 10, 2014 05:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 946392)
Is the coach allowed to change starters without penalty to conform to the sleeve rule, for example if the players refuse to remove mismatched sleeves?

Hint: What does rule 3-2-2a say?