The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Eastern Michigan-Michigan Backcourt Violation? (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98809-eastern-michigan-michigan-backcourt-violation-video.html)

TriggerMN Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:06pm

Eastern Michigan-Michigan Backcourt Violation? (Video)

Last 10 seconds of the game. Michigan has team control in the front court. Team control is never lost, Michigan is last to touch in the frontcourt and first to touch in the backcourt. Why isn't this play a backcourt violation?

Raymond Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:49pm

Because they were losing. :D

APG Wed Dec 10, 2014 04:13am

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/-YMRlxif800" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

AremRed Wed Dec 10, 2014 08:18am

No violation, green touches it last before it enters the backcourt.

bob jenkins Wed Dec 10, 2014 08:45am

I'm kind of surprised the official did not give the "tip" signal.

Raymond Wed Dec 10, 2014 08:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriggerMN (Post 946277)
Last 10 seconds of the game. Michigan has team control in the front court. Team control is never lost, Michigan is last to touch in the frontcourt and first to touch in the backcourt. Why isn't this play a backcourt violation?

Because Michigan was not the last to touch.

La Rikardo Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:04am

The last angle pretty clearly shows that EMU touched the ball last in the frontcourt, but that's tough to see from the main angle and probably tough to see if you're C. Even so, if C isn't planning to call the potential violation, he's got to give the tip signal. Otherwise he looks like he has no clue.

Rob1968 Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:53am

So, is the "tip signal" required, or optional/additional, at the NCAA level?

youngump Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by La Rikardo (Post 946317)
The last angle pretty clearly shows that EMU touched the ball last in the frontcourt, but that's tough to see from the main angle and probably tough to see if you're C. Even so, if C isn't planning to call the potential violation, he's got to give the tip signal. Otherwise he looks like he has no clue.

Pretty clearly is a strong statement. I'm not seeing what you are. Are you saying EMU touched it after the bat by Michigan or that the bat missed?

JRutledge Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:05pm

It looks like a good no-call.

It certainly was not obvious that Michigan touched the ball last. I would rather call this like anything when it is obvious.

Peace

La Rikardo Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngump (Post 946327)
Pretty clearly is a strong statement. I'm not seeing what you are. Are you saying EMU touched it after the bat by Michigan or that the bat missed?

I'm not seeing a bat by Michigan. I'm seeing the EMU player try to grab the ball from the Michigan player's hands but failing to gain control himself and sending the ball into the Michigan backcourt. But from the original angle I'd have no idea who touched it last, and that angle isn't too different from C's look.

jeschmit Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 946320)
So, is the "tip signal" required, or optional/additional, at the NCAA level?

Optional/additional... widely used though.

Camron Rust Wed Dec 10, 2014 01:10pm

From the video, i can't tell, with any degree of certainty, who touched it last. Must go with the call/non-call as made.

There was a time where green clearly touched it but there was a moment just after that where gold may or may not have touched it....can't tell.

Sharpshooternes Wed Dec 10, 2014 05:15pm

And just for discussion sake, if emu does gain possession (posession change) briefly and then the ball gets popped out by michigan into the BC it would also not be a BC. Must be aware of shot clock and a reset or not.