The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 10, 2014, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

1. Travel.

2. Maybe a T or just conversation depending on prior events

3. Block....forward movement never stopped....didn't get his torso to the spot first.

4. Charge
Old Wed Dec 10, 2014, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
1. If you pause it around 29 seconds you can see the dribble ends with a pivot foot down, therefore this IS a travel, but really tough to see live.

2. Context matters here. I don't see the taunt being significant enough in and of itself to be a T, but it could be in context.

3. Charge

4. Charge
1. The only time you can definitively tell this is a travel is at the :29 mark of the video. I have no problem with a no call there as it is basically impossible for the Trail to tell when the ball was truly gathered and the Slot has many things to be looking for as he had just rotated.

2. I am ok with a T or not depending on what has led up to this.

3. Block ~ I don't think he was done moving forward (to establish his LGP) until after the offensive player leaves the floor.

4. Charge ~ This is the only play I actually saw on TV and when it happened I was amazed with the block call. I wonder if he was trying to match a call(s) from earlier......
Old Wed Dec 10, 2014, 02:44pm

1) Travel
2) Depends on tone of game to that point. Good either way (T or no T)
3) PC
4) PC
Old Thu Dec 11, 2014, 02:58pm
(Something hilarious)

1. Don't know.
2. T
3. Block
4. PC
Old Thu Dec 11, 2014, 04:42pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington View Post
4. Charge ~ This is the only play I actually saw on TV and when it happened I was amazed with the block call. I wonder if he was trying to match a call(s) from earlier......

How many actually do this?

I think this is an example of what happens when you try.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Dec 11, 2014, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

1. Travel
2. T
3. PC
4. PC
Old Thu Dec 11, 2014, 10:30pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
How many actually do this?.
I do.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2014, 10:41pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I do.

So the line "I had a play similar to this and called it a block so now I call this one a block" runs through your mind?

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Dec 11, 2014, 10:58pm
AremRed

Quote:
So the line "I had a play similar to this and called it a block so now I call this one a block" runs through your mind?
Yes.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2014, 11:02pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Yes.
If the plays are truly similar I would think this would take care of itself, and if they're not similar....

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Dec 11, 2014, 11:05pm
AremRed

Quote:
If the plays are truly similar I would think this would take care of itself, and if they're not similar....
We're talking about close plays only. I am not saying call an obvious charge a block because your partner effed one up at the other end.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2014, 11:09pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
We're talking about close plays only. I am not saying call an obvious charge a block because your partner effed one up at the other end.
I would hope not. But even very similar plays can fall on opposite sides of the line. I prefer to call each on its own merit.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Dec 12, 2014, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

1. By rule travel, but very hard to pickup in live action.
2. Depends on context. Really liked how they handled situation assuming nothing else had gone on prior.
3. PC but could be moving slightly forward prior to contact. Not splitting hairs though
4. PC and obvious. Don't know how he went Block.

Just an add on, Play 3: defender doesn't have to get out of the RA to take the charge but still does which makes this play a little tougher to call because he's moving forward.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2014, 01:17pm
In Time Out

I thought that was a great move on the non-travel call. Maybe technically by rule it is a travel, but on those tough calls like that if I see a HS player make a good play like that, using the jump shot and pivot to step through I'm letting it go unless I can tell for sure it was a travel which you can't here without the replay. That's just good basketball.

3 Charge
4. I thought block in real-time as well. And again when I stopped it at 5 seconds. The offensive player is trying the euro step and I see the defender's legs to his right on the dash marks but then he moves them to the side, too late for the charge. Good call by the ref.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2014, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
I thought that was a great move on the non-travel call. Maybe technically by rule it is a travel, but on those tough calls like that if I see a HS player make a good play like that, using the jump shot and pivot to step through I'm letting it go unless I can tell for sure it was a travel which you can't here without the replay. That's just good basketball.

3 Charge
4. I thought block in real-time as well. And again when I stopped it at 5 seconds. The offensive player is trying the euro step and I see the defender's legs to his right on the dash marks but then he moves them to the side, too late for the charge. Good call by the ref.
Maybe it is because this (jump stop) is an area I have been working on to get better but I have a clear travel. Also, this approach (in red) has always bothered me. A player commits a foul/violation according to the rule but you think it is still makes for good basketball so you let it go. How is one official sticking it to one team "good basketball"? If a player travels...call the travel. Would you count a basket from mid-court to win the game even though it was after time expired? I mean, after all...it was only a second.