The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Suffering from withdrawal symtoms. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98792-suffering-withdrawal-symtoms.html)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Dec 07, 2014 05:34pm

Suffering from withdrawal symtoms.

Most of you know of my position with regard to guarding and screening (aka block/charge).

Mark, Jr., and I have officiated three JrHS doubleheaders and I have also officiated a girls' JV game yesterday afternoon, and:

I have yet to call a charge this season. I am starting to go through withdrawal. I can't remember that last time I have gone this long without a charge call. I have had Team Control Fouls in my games and one Player Control Foul but it was not a CHARGE!!

MTD, Sr.

Mark Padgett Sun Dec 07, 2014 06:29pm

Maybe you should contact these guys?

http://www.chargesyndrome.org/images/logo.png

Mregor Mon Dec 08, 2014 02:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 945971)
Most of you know of my position with regard to guarding and screening (aka block/charge).

Mark, Jr., and I have officiated three JrHS doubleheaders and I have also officiated a girls' JV game yesterday afternoon, and:

I have yet to call a charge this season. I am starting to go through withdrawal. I can't remember that last time I have gone this long without a charge call. I have had Team Control Fouls in my games and one Player Control Foul but it was not a CHARGE!!

MTD, Sr.

We had 8 in boys varsity on Friday. 2-man. Each called 4.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:42am

Boys' FR game last night and still no charge.

MTD, Sr.

Welpe Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:06am

I haven't called a game in nearly two years...tell me about withdrawl...

Mark Padgett Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 946178)
Boys' FR game last night and still no charge.

MTD, Sr.

This guy might help.

http://letsmakerobots.com/files/fiel...r_Battery.png?

AremRed Tue Dec 09, 2014 05:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 946186)

How come?

scrounge Tue Dec 09, 2014 09:31pm

Third game of the year (not counting scrimmages), 8th grade boys, 2 charges...

On the second, he turns to his bench with his hands up and the "What the #@#@" look, his coach yells at him while motioning "you threw your elbow into him, I told you not to do that!". Indeed.

Freddy Tue Dec 09, 2014 09:59pm

No Withdrawl Here. Overdosing.

Early season GV tonight. Crew got 3 TC fouls and 9 PC fouls. They just wouldn't stop barreling down the middle of the lane.

BktBallRef Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 946186)

Tonight, in one quarter, I called a...

...spot throw-in violation,
...violation when thrower didn't step completely OOB,
...BC violation after B1 batted the ball, A1 batted the ball still in his FC and recovered it in his BC.

Trifecta! :D

just another ref Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 946268)
...BC violation after B1 batted the ball, A1 batted the ball still in his FC and recovered it in his BC.

This is certainly in the running for call most likely to turn the whole building against you.

"THE DEFENSE TOUCHED IT!!!!!"

Welpe Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 946253)
How come?

Combination of having little kids and a more demanding job (especially this time of year). Something had to give and basketball was it. I'm hoping it's only temporary.

Rich1 Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:57pm

Ahead of the curve...

I have had at peasy 1 per week this season including 2 tonight. However, most are not the dramatic bowl 'em over type, usually a bump or push off before the shot. Defender gets displaced but not knocked down hard.

A side question to this: I have had a few no calls this season when A1 & B1 have very slight contact followed by B1 falling back as if charged. I let this go because the contact did not cause him to fall (but not a full flop) and the shot was not affected. However, two old vets told me that I should hit that on B1 to knock off the falls tothe floor and because B1 is now laying in the lane which rstricts A1's ability to rebound. My gake is that B1 has a right tothstspot on the floor and I'm not calling fouls for incidental contact just because one player falls down. What are your philosophies on this? How do you call these bump and falls?

just another ref Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich1 (Post 946275)
I have had at peasy 1 per week this season including 2 tonight. However, most are not the dramatic bowl 'em over type, usually a bump or push off before the shot. Defender gets displaced but not knocked down hard.

A side question to this: I have had a few no calls this season when A1 & B1 have very slight contact followed by B1 falling back as if charged. I let this go because the contact did not cause him to fall (but not a full flop) and the shot was not affected. However, two old vets told me that I should hit that on B1 to knock off the falls tothe floor and because B1 is now laying in the lane which rstricts A1's ability to rebound. My gake is that B1 has a right tothstspot on the floor and I'm not calling fouls for incidental contact just because one player falls down. What are your philosophies on this? How do you call these bump and falls?

Perhaps too much emphasis on falling. You can have a foul when nobody falls. You can have a no call when somebody does fall. And yes, it is not that uncommon for the foul to be on the one who fell.

Did one player actually displace the other causing that player to be put at a disadvantage?

BktBallRef Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 946269)
This is certainly in the running for call most likely to turn the whole building against you.

"THE DEFENSE TOUCHED IT!!!!!"

Oh yeah. "Coach, your guy touched it last in the frontcourt and first in the backcourt. That's a violation."