The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   A single timer and a single scorer (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98780-single-timer-single-scorer.html)

Scratch85 Fri Dec 05, 2014 03:38pm

A single timer and a single scorer

The above phrase is part of test question. Will some of you who are more fluent in NFHS ambiguity help me understand what it means?

Is it one single person acting as both timer and scorer? Or is two separate individuals with a possible reference to their marital status?

bob jenkins Fri Dec 05, 2014 03:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch85 (Post 945764)
The above phrase is part of test question. Will some of you who are more fluent in NFHS ambiguity help me understand what it means?

Is it one single person acting as both timer and scorer? Or is two separate individuals with a possible reference to their marital status?

I'd have to see it in context but my guess would be that they are asking about rule 2-1

OKREF Fri Dec 05, 2014 03:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch85 (Post 945764)

One person keeping the book, and running the clock

Scratch85 Fri Dec 05, 2014 04:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 945765)
I'd have to see it in context but my guess would be that they are asking about rule 2-1

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 945768)
One person keeping the book, and running the clock

Context: A single timer and a single scorer may be used if they are trained personnel and acceptable to the referee.

Would you both agree that it means "One person keeping the book, and running the clock."?

bob jenkins Fri Dec 05, 2014 04:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch85 (Post 945769)
Context: A single timer and a single scorer may be used if they are trained personnel and acceptable to the referee.

Would you both agree that it means "One person keeping the book, and running the clock."?

Is that on a current year's test? The wording was in the book several years ago, but is not there now.

Scratch85 Fri Dec 05, 2014 04:11pm

On this year's Part II.

Camron Rust Fri Dec 05, 2014 05:00pm

Quote:

No. It is referring to two people...one for each job.

OKREF Fri Dec 05, 2014 05:05pm

Quote:

I believe that's what I said.

OKREF Fri Dec 05, 2014 05:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 945774)
No. It is referring to two people...one for each job.

I read that question as one person doing both jobs

bob jenkins Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 945771)
Is that on a current year's test? The wording was in the book several years ago, but is not there now.

I went into my attic and pulled out the 2002 -2003 book. 2-1-1: "The officials shall be a referee and an umpire or a referee and two umpires who shall be assisted by two timers and by two scorers. A single timer and a single scorer may be used if they are trained personnel acceptable to the referee."

By 2009 -2010 that wording was gone (I didn't check anywhere in between.)

Note that the rule also says "The official's uniform shall be a black-and-white striped shirt, black pants, shoes and socks." No mention of a belt.

SAK Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 945804)
Note that the rule also says "The official's uniform shall be a black-and-white striped shirt, black pants, shoes and socks." No mention of a belt.

So where do I get the black and white striped pants, shoes, and belt?

Camron Rust Sat Dec 06, 2014 04:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 945777)
I read that question as one person doing both jobs

If that were a case, the word "single" wouldn't be repeated in the statement on each side of the "and". It would have to say a single timer/scorer to be a total of one person.

Bad Zebra Sat Dec 06, 2014 07:10am

Quote:

..No mention of a belt...

Couldn't resist, huh? :p

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Dec 06, 2014 09:48am

Quote:

I went into my attic and pulled out the 2002 -2003 book. 2-1-1: "The officials shall be a referee and an umpire or a referee and two umpires who shall be assisted by two timers and by two scorers. A single timer and a single scorer may be used if they are trained personnel acceptable to the referee."

By 2009 -2010 that wording was gone (I didn't check anywhere in between.)

Bob:

You must be channeling your inner Milton Berle (or is it Bob Hope), by stealing my material, ;).

MTD, Sr.

BillyMac Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:46am

Appropriate ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAK (Post 945809)
So where do I get the black and white striped pants, shoes, and belt?

Would this be better: "The official's uniform shall be a black-and-white striped shirt; black pants, shoes and socks." (semicolon replaces comma)?

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.6080...6&pid=15.1&P=0

Quote:

No mention of a belt.

So I guess that the belt can be any color. Cool. Also, I guess that officials are required to go "commando".

In the original post, the wording is not a clear as it could be. As a retired teacher, if I gave a poorly worded question, like this, on a science test, the students would be all over me if I marked it wrong. Test question writing is a science, and not everybody is good at it.