The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 02, 2014, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Louisville vs Ohio State (Video)

1:12 in 2nd half - Russell (0) for OSU shoots a jump shot just beyond the free throw line - missed but foul called by lead - replay shows no contact at all. Anybody else see this? BTW I saw nothing when viewing live.

Last edited by bucblue; Tue Dec 02, 2014 at 11:51pm.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 02:24am
Official Forum Member

Yes, it was wierd, in live action, in replay, and in slow-motion replay. Lead had to come through several players to get that one wrong . . .
And the commentators were almost left speechless . . .almost.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 08:19am
AremRed

Lead got it right. There was contact, white #3 tapped the shooter on the elbow as he slid past. Very quick and tough for C/Trail to see, but obviously effected the shot. The announcers were speechless because they didn't know what to look for, but Stephens was very emphatic pointing out who did it and what happened.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 11:37am
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Lead got it right. There was contact, white #3 tapped the shooter on the elbow as he slid past. Very quick and tough for C/Trail to see, but obviously effected the shot. The announcers were speechless because they didn't know what to look for, but Stephens was very emphatic pointing out who did it and what happened.
I didn't see it live but on reply I seen the same thing as the L. The sneaky elbow tap.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 12:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not see the contact. Maybe I am missing something. Not saying it did not happen, I just do not see an angle that I am satisfied with.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

I think the L is going to have a hard time justifying this one to his assignor. If there was any contact at all, it was very slight, not enough to warrant calling a foul in my opinion. I could be missing something too, but I just don't see it.

Now I know that I am not well versed on 3 man mechanics as I haven't done a lot, but shouldn't this be T's call all the way? I didn't like the L running out and getting it like that, especially on such marginal contact. But.. I'm not an assignor and I don't make the big bucks to call the big games, so my opinion really doesn't count for much.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refinks View Post
I think the L is going to have a hard time justifying this one to his assignor. If there was any contact at all, it was very slight, not enough to warrant calling a foul in my opinion. I could be missing something too, but I just don't see it.
If the defender does touch the shooter on the elbow here, that is always a foul. It doesn't matter if it's very slight. It doesn't take but a flick on the elbow to disrupt a shot.

As I heard in camp this summer, and BNR and attest to hearing the same thing, there's not such thing as marginal contact on the shooter.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 01:10pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by refinks View Post

Now I know that I am not well versed on 3 man mechanics as I haven't done a lot, but shouldn't this be T's call all the way? I didn't like the L running out and getting it like that, especially on such marginal contact. But.. I'm not an assignor and I don't make the big bucks to call the big games, so my opinion really doesn't count for much.

This is the C's primary and he should be the one making the call. I agree with others, even a slight tap on the shooters elbow is a foul that should be called every time. However, I don't see any contact on this play, nor does the shooter react like he was touched. Finally, on a play like this, where both the C and T have passed, I am not coming to call a foul on this play from the L. There is no way the L can be 100% confident there was a missed call here. He is reaching and guessing, and most likely got the call wrong.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

I agree, I think this is a situation where you have to trust your partners. I just don't see the contact, but the L obviously thought he saw something, I just don't see going out of your area to get this.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed. There are things that warrant going out of your primary for, but this isn't one of them, especially since the Trail and Center don't have anything.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

I think there probably was a foul, not so much from being able to see it but by the reaction of the defender. The way he yanked his hand down after he passed through tells me he was trying to not get caught. That wouldn't be enough for me to call a foul, but it is enough to believe that the lead probably did see a foul.