The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 02, 2014, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Coach adds time before tip

We are on time and clock is under 5 minutes and running before opening tip. Partner and I observe home team's head coach at the table, then notice the clock has been reset to 10:00 min. I went to the table and asked coach what's up. She said "Its my home game, I can decide when it starts. I want my kids to have some more warm-up time." Turns out their pre-game meal arrived late and threw them off. Middle school, so we didn't press the issue. My question: If this was a varsity game and coach pulled this, would you allow him to reset the clock? If you approved the added time and visiting coach had a problem with it, would it change how you proceed?
Old Tue Dec 02, 2014, 11:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I wouldn't push too hard, but there'd be an email to my assigner at half time.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2014, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Was this the first game? Or second game of a doubleheader? Reason I ask is pretty much every middle school I work has specific league rules: The standard in my area is 10 minutes between games. Even if this was the first game I'd still be hard pressed to allow it. Our leagues around here expect games to start on time. My first move would be to find the AD or person in charge.

Depending on the coaches tone when she said that to you, she might be getting a stern warning before the game even started. In fact, I know a few officials that would have started the game with 2 free throws and a seatbelt on the coach if she was not so nice about it
Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 08:26am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Whitten View Post
..."Its my home game, I can decide when it starts. I want my kids to have some more warm-up time." ...
Me: No problem coach, but in the future could you please show some basic consideration and inform the officiating crew? Thanks.

And yes, I would say it just like that, if that was the tone of her original statement.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Dec 03, 2014 at 08:36am.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 08:36am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Me: No problem coach, but in the future could you please show some basic consideration and inform the officiating crew? Thanks.

And yes, I would say it just like that.
No kidding, especially when I heard: "It's my home game, I can decide when it starts". Depends on the tone I guess but that sounds straight up inconsiderate.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

If the officials are on the floor, the officials have jurisdiction and the coach DOES NOT get to decide when the game starts.

I'm not saying I wouldn't work with the coach (a pre-game meal for MS? Really?), but I'm not letting the coach change the time arbitrarily.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Whitten View Post
She said "Its my home game, I can decide when it starts. I want my kids to have some more warm-up time."
"Actually coach, the AD's mutually agreed to a start time (or time between games) and have signed a contract to that effect. Additionally, my contract also specified the start time. Now, I don't mind if you want to modify that agreement, but we should clear it with the other coach first."

I believe all inter-scholastic sports in Ohio have these contest contracts between schools. MMV in other areas.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 10:27am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
(a pre-game meal for MS? Really?)
The meal was coffee and donuts so they could practice their dunking.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 11:38am
TODO: creative title here

Hmmm... I can't say I've ever had that situation arise.

I have had game starts delayed before, but that's usually a "visiting team arrived late due to traffic/bad weather and needs time to warm up" type of situation. And when that happens (it is Minnesota, after all), I don't get too worked up about it. I'd rather have a game start 10 minutes late with a full warm up than start on time and have someone injured because they didn't have a proper warm up opportunity.

Usually the conversation goes like this: "Coach (of the home team), when they get here, we'll give them enough time to warm up before we tip off" "Ok".
(when the visiting coach arrives): "Coach, we'll give you 10 (8, whatever) minutes to warm up, and then we'll get started." "Sounds good to me/We'll be ready in XX minutes" "Ok, then".

Occasionally, if it's a non-varsity game, we'll end up shortening the periods to attempt to get things back on schedule.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
The meal was coffee and donuts so they could practice their dunking.
I'm really glad I had put down my coffee before I read this one . . .