The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   N.C. State/Purdue (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98755-n-c-state-purdue-video.html)

refinks Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:32pm

N.C. State/Purdue (Video)

I'm hoping someone can upload the video once the game is over, but at about the 14:30 mark (give or take) of the second half, N.C. State player beaten badly down low. Purdue players goes for lay-up, N.C. state player gives what looked to be a clear 2 hand shove in the back. Officials called the foul, then went to monitor to review it, but stayed with a common foul.

To me, this is about as clear of a flagrant 1 as you can get. Anybody see anything that might have caused the crew to stick with a common foul?

Raymond Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:04pm

John Adams just sent out a bulletin criticizing officials for not properly ruling some FF1 & 2 plays.

That said, I have not seen the play in question.

westneat Wed Dec 03, 2014 08:05am

I would also like to see someone comment on the play noted in this article:

ACC Basketball: Strange ruling costs N.C. State a chance to tie Purdue - Fayetteville Observer: ACC Basketball

I don't work NCAA, but it sounds like the rule quoted is meant to apply to loose balls. His teammate is still holding the ball when he comes back in bounds, so he wouldn't be "first to touch".

Raymond Wed Dec 03, 2014 08:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by westneat (Post 945377)
I would also like to see someone comment on the play noted in this article:

ACC Basketball: Strange ruling costs N.C. State a chance to tie Purdue - Fayetteville Observer: ACC Basketball

I don't work NCAA, but it sounds like the rule quoted is meant to apply to loose balls. His teammate is still holding the ball when he comes back in bounds, so he wouldn't be "first to touch".

That's a pretty basic NCAA rule. If you go OOB of your own volition, you cannot catch the first pass after you return.

AremRed Wed Dec 03, 2014 08:38am

Here's the NC State-Clemson video from the article, would you call this?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AAo0d2lvPx0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Raymond Wed Dec 03, 2014 08:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 945383)
Here's the NC State-Clemson video from the article, would you call this?

Nope, not that one.

bob jenkins Wed Dec 03, 2014 09:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 945385)
Nope, not that one.

Not disagreeing, but why not?

westneat Wed Dec 03, 2014 09:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 945378)
That's a pretty basic NCAA rule. If you go OOB of your own volition, you cannot catch the first pass after you return.

Thanks!

Raymond Wed Dec 03, 2014 09:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 945387)
Not disagreeing, but why not?

The contact from the defender.

APG Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by refinks (Post 945359)
I'm hoping someone can upload the video once the game is over, but at about the 14:30 mark (give or take) of the second half, N.C. State player beaten badly down low. Purdue players goes for lay-up, N.C. state player gives what looked to be a clear 2 hand shove in the back.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/UTiNtC5k07U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Camron Rust Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by refinks (Post 945359)
I'm hoping someone can upload the video once the game is over, but at about the 14:30 mark (give or take) of the second half, N.C. State player beaten badly down low. Purdue players goes for lay-up, N.C. state player gives what looked to be a clear 2 hand shove in the back. Officials called the foul, then went to monitor to review it, but stayed with a common foul.

To me, this is about as clear of a flagrant 1 as you can get. Anybody see anything that might have caused the crew to stick with a common foul?

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 945444)
<iframe width="425" height="240" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/UTiNtC5k07U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

By definition, that is an Intentional/F1 but it is often called an common.

refinks Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:27pm

So then I guess I'm missing something, why would an official go common foul on that instead of the correct rule which would be an intentional/F1? To me that is a clear cut and dry textbook intentional/F1 every time, but it sounds like it isn't called that way, I'm just wondering why.

At the level I work, I can guarantee if I didn't call that an intentional foul, I'd be hearing from my assignor and probably losing games.

JRutledge Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:40pm

No I would not call this intentional or FF1. This is marginal for those classifications at best.

Peace

refinks Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:45pm

JRutledge,

How do you consider this marginal? We have a clear 2 hand shove in the back, and no attempt to play the ball. So I'm curious as to why you consider this to be marginal. To me it's a no-brainer, especially at the high school and lower level.

so cal lurker Wed Dec 03, 2014 01:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 945378)

This is a rule differene from fed, isn't it? As I understand NFHS as long as you re-establish in bounds all is good, right?