The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 08, 2000, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

I've used Shape-Up and they look great. My concern with such things is that it should prevent or limit how much the shoes breath. I don't think regular paste wax does that.

I've been told to use a mix of Fortune 2000 (Formula 2000?) and paste wax, several coats, buffed out in between. Have not yet looked for that product, but it is suppose to be available in shoe stores.

BTW, our association requires the high-gloss look.

[Edited by Richard Ogg on Nov 9th, 2000 at 08:41 AM]
Old Wed Nov 08, 2000, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Wink SHOE SHINE

If you have not heard of Leather Luster it is the best thing on the market.You can apply it yourself,or you can send it to them and they will apply it for you, Here in my area I have a small business where I do referee shoes and I only use leather luster.But you MUST make sure the shoes or boots are leather or it will no go on correct.If you need more information regarding this product please e-mail me.

LOVE AND RESPECT
Old Wed Nov 08, 2000, 07:28pm
In Memoriam

Cool An artist at work

Quote:
Originally posted by vhslref
Just joined in and was interested in the topic. I've not used to many different types of polish, but the best thing I've used is paint. I used model car paint and gloss on my run-n-refs and it worked great. I'm looking for something different though.
Painter,
Do you use the Hi-gloss, Hi-Temp or Flat Black?
mick
Old Wed Nov 08, 2000, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Wink

A product some of the guys in the military use is KIWI "Honor Guard" it is a nice polish and looks good. I will be using it this year and can give a full report later.

Good Luck
Old Wed Nov 08, 2000, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Don,

Kiwi Honor Guard does give a first class shine but it will crack and peel. It's okay if you need a fast temporary shine but you're going to have to strip the shoes once it starts peeling.

Tony
Old Thu Nov 09, 2000, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Cool

Tony, thanks for the "tip" i end up buying a new pair of shoes every year, so a stripping job would not bother me.

Thanks Again,
Old Thu Nov 09, 2000, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Mick; the paint I use has been a hi-gloss paint. You can find it in the model car section. Next time you go to a Wal-Mart, go pick up a can. On the back it has several things you can use it on including leather.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2000, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Has anyone tried to leather luster the new balance 608's? I don't want to order it, if it is not going to work. The local officials store stopped carrying it because it would not work on the Whistles; too little leather, too much synthetic.

Looks like Converse got me again.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2000, 09:13am
In Memoriam

Cool I thought you were jokin'

Quote:
Originally posted by vhslref
Mick; the paint I use has been a hi-gloss paint. You can find it in the model car section. Next time you go to a Wal-Mart, go pick up a can. On the back it has several things you can use it on including leather.
vhslref,
I never woulda thunk it, cuz it really sounds brittle.
Thanks.
mick
Old Thu Nov 09, 2000, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
Has anyone tried to leather luster the new balance 608's? I don't want to order it, if it is not going to work. The local officials store stopped carrying it because it would not work on the Whistles; too little leather, too much synthetic.

Looks like Converse got me again.

Brian,
The shoes that you tried the leather luster was the new Converse All- Star Whistles; Right or Wrong? If right let me know because I just ordered some and I don't won't to waste money.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2000, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

I personally did not try it on the whistles. A local referee owns his own referee equipment store and used to sell Leather Luster, but stopped because no one could get the stuff to dry on the whistles. I guess LL told him it was because there is not enough real leather in it.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2000, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
I personally did not try it on the whistles. A local referee owns his own referee equipment store and used to sell Leather Luster, but stopped because no one could get the stuff to dry on the whistles. I guess LL told him it was because there is not enough real leather in it.
Brian,

I'm on my second pair of Whistles and have not had any trouble at all with Leather Luster drying. One important thing to remember is not to use it on the edges of the soles. It will be very sticky and appear to not have dried. But this part of the shoe is rubber and you should use Kiwi Edge Dressing.

The worst thing that you can do with any polishing process is get in a hurry and begin the next step before the previous step is complete. To use Leather Luster properly takes 3 to 4 days. But it's well worth it.

Tony
Old Fri Nov 10, 2000, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
[i] ... One important thing to remember is not to use it on the edges of the soles. It will be very sticky and appear to not have dried. But this part of the shoe is rubber and you should use Kiwi Edge Dressing.

The worst thing that you can do with any polishing process is get in a hurry and begin the next step before the previous step is complete. To use Leather Luster properly takes 3 to 4 days. But it's well worth it.

Tony
Tony, I agree...you must take your time, be patient while letting LL dry. I DO use LL on the rubber edge of the soles, and have not had a problem.

My drying technique (don't know if this is endoresed by the LL folks, but it works for me): My clothes dryer came with a rack that sets in place inside the drum. I simply put the wet shoes on the rack, fire up the dryer, and presto!, dry, SHINY shoes.

I dry them this way between each of about 4 or 5 thin coats of LL. The shoes look great, and scuff marks are cleaned up with a spray of Pledge and a quick wipe of a rag...

dk