The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Dribble (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98669-dribble.html)

Valley Man Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:10am

Dribble

B1 picks up their dribble and the official starts the 5 second count since A1 is within legal guarding position.* When B1 thinks a 5 second violation is about to be called, B1 intentionally throws the ball off B2’s leg who is standing near by, then B1 retrieves the ball and starts dribbling again. The ball is not tipped by A1.

Raymond Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:16am

B1 relinquished PC, the ball legally touched another player, and B1 gains PC.

So what's is your question?

(Would the question be any different if B2 had tapped the ball with her hand, instead of the ball hitting her leg?)

BigCat Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valley Man (Post 944087)
B1 picks up their dribble and the official starts the 5 second count since A1 is within legal guarding position.* When B1 thinks a 5 second violation is about to be called, B1 intentionally throws the ball off B2’s leg who is standing near by, then B1 retrieves the ball and starts dribbling again. The ball is not tipped by A1.

Legal. Rule says player can dribble again after he loses control because of a pass or fumble which is touched by another player.
The reason he is passing it off B2 leg isn't relevant. imo

Rob1968 Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 944090)
Legal. Rule says player can dribble again after he loses control because of a pass or fumble which is touched by another player.
The reason he is passing it off B2 leg isn't relevant. imo

Supporting reference -(I just happened to be in my books at the moment.)

9-5-3 . . . A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended, unless it is after he/she has lost control because of:
ART. 3 . . . A pass or fumble which has then touched, or been touched by, another player.

zm1283 Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valley Man (Post 944087)

I'm nitpicking, but legal guarding position has nothing to do with the six foot distance for a 5-second count to begin.

AremRed Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:08pm

Legal by rule. It can be easy to get caught up in legality vs. morality sometimes :)

BigCat Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 944094)
I'm nitpicking, but legal guarding position has nothing to do with the six foot distance for a 5-second count to begin.

Yeah, i think in context of his question you have satisfied the definition of "nitpicking." :) it happens from time to time.

Adam Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 944095)
Legal by rule. It can be easy to get caught up in legality vs. morality sometimes :)

Yeah, she may burn in hell for it, but I'm not blowing my whistle. She can take it up with her maker.

Valley Man Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:28pm

I thought that was the answer "no violation". I was worried I had missed something.