The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Gonzaga vs. SMU Backcourt Violation? (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98662-gonzaga-vs-smu-backcourt-violation-video.html)

Sharpshooternes Tue Nov 18, 2014 04:15pm

Gonzaga vs. SMU Backcourt Violation? (Video)

I think they missed this call.

APG Wed Nov 19, 2014 04:51am

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/CEbys6SO04c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SNIPERBBB Wed Nov 19, 2014 06:46am

Bit of a hairsplitter here. If you give the first touch by A11 after the shot player control for that bad attempt of a dribble, you then have the ball apparently touching the division line, A11 leaps from from FC towards the BC, gathers, when the BC violation triggers, and throws the ball back to the FC, just prior to landing BC.

If you do not give PC/TC to A on that dribble attempt, that is a legal play.

AremRed Wed Nov 19, 2014 07:43am

No violation.

JRutledge Wed Nov 19, 2014 08:38am

I do not have a violation here. He never controlled the ball after the try.

Peace

bob jenkins Wed Nov 19, 2014 08:42am

My guess -- the official didn't recognize that it was a try and TC ended.

Camron Rust Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:42pm

Agree. TC ended on the release...no PC/TC established before the ball went to the BC. No violation.

There could be any number of reasons it was called incorrectly.
1. The official thought the block occurred before the ball was released.
2. The official judged that the offensive player did have control on the first touch after the block.
3. The official doesn't quite understand the backcourt rule (not all that far fetched).
4. The official just reacted without thinking about it.

Sharpshooternes Wed Nov 19, 2014 04:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 944102)
Agree. TC ended on the release...no PC/TC established before the ball went to the BC. No violation.

There could be any number of reasons it was called incorrectly.
1. The official thought the block occurred before the ball was released.
2. The official judged that the offensive player did have control on the first touch after the block.
3. The official doesn't quite understand the backcourt rule (not all that far fetched).
4. The official just reacted without thinking about it.

Just listened to the crew on this game talk about the play. The calling official said it was number 4. He didn't think about it being a blocked shot and realizing there was no longer team control. They missed and admitted as much. They didn't realize until after the game and he got a text message from a buddy.

so cal lurker Wed Nov 19, 2014 04:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 944121)
Just listened to the crew on this game talk about the play. The calling official said it was number 4. He didn't think about it being a blocked shot and realizing there was no longer team control. They missed and admitted as much. They didn't realize until after the game and he got a text message from a buddy.

So assume this was your game, and you made the same error. And during a time out before the ball was inbounded, the coach then said, "hey, that can't be -- there was a shot, so there was no team control and there can't be a BC violation!" What would you do/say?

SC Official Wed Nov 19, 2014 04:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 944125)
So assume this was your game, and you made the same error. And during a time out before the ball was inbounded, the coach then said, "hey, that can't be -- there was a shot, so there was no team control and there can't be a BC violation!" What would you do/say?

"Coach, in my judgment, he controlled the ball prior to it going to the backcourt."

Camron Rust Wed Nov 19, 2014 05:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 944125)

I would go talk it over with my partners and correct the call if we/I decide it was incorrect. There is no reason to knowingly get the rule wrong when you can still get it right. It doesn't do us any good to stick with a bad call we know is bad or to lie about it. All that does us undermine our credibility.

I'd only say was SC_Official suggested if that was the reason I actually called it.

BryanV21 Wed Nov 19, 2014 09:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 944135)
I would go talk it over with my partners and correct the call if we/I decide it was incorrect. There is no reason to knowingly get the rule wrong when you can still get it right. It doesn't do us any good to stick with a bad call we know is bad or to lie about it. All that does us undermine our credibility.

I'd only say was SC_Official suggested if that was the reason I actually called it.

So before starting the throw-in for the BC violation, say that it was an inadvertent whistle and give SMU a throw-in at the POI?

BigCat Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 944149)
So before starting the throw-in for the BC violation, say that it was an inadvertent whistle and give SMU a throw-in at the POI?

As Camron said I would tell coaches a mistake was made. That There was no team control by Smu in the front court after the shot. It was not a violation for their player to be the first to touch/ control it in the backcourt. There should have been no whistle--when that happens the ball is given to the team who was in control when the whistle blew. Here the Smu player had controlled the ball before the whistle when he threw it to front court. Their ball...

Others may shorten it but when we change something because of a rule we need to be able to explain the rule, what happened and what we're going to do now about it. Imo.

Adam Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 944150)
As Camron said I would tell coaches a mistake was made. That There was no team control by Smu in the front court after the shot. It was not a violation for their player to be the first to touch/ control it in the backcourt. There should have been no whistle--when that happens the ball is given to the team who was in control when the whistle blew. Here the Smu player had controlled the ball before the whistle when he threw it to front court. Their ball...

Others may shorten it but when we change something because of a rule we need to be able to explain the rule, what happened and what we're going to do now about it. Imo.

I've done something similar, when my partner called a travel from the trail position when a shooter caught her own airball in front of me at lead (2 man game). I chatted with him to make sure I knew what he was calling, then we reversed the call. B coach wanted an explanation, and other than questioning me for reversing the call (I should have let my partner make the announcement), he was fine. He already knew the rule anyway. :)

Adam Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 944127)
"Coach, in my judgment, he controlled the ball prior to it going to the backcourt."

I'm with Camron. No way I'm saying this unless I believed it. If the coach makes a valid rules point and we know it, make the change if it's not too late. If it's too late, admit you kicked it.

That's going to be much more effective than doubling down.