The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Intentional Foul and Throw In (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98513-intentional-foul-throw.html)

The_Rookie Tue Oct 14, 2014 02:06pm

Intentional Foul and Throw In

Trying to get my arms around 2 different scenarios:

1) B1 commits intentional foul on A1 with a 2 handed shove in the back that results in A1 crashing into the wall behind basket.

2) B1 slaps the wrist of A1 on the throw- in underneath the basket resulting in an intentional foul.

In the above after the FTs..does Team A have a designated spot throw in or can they run the line?

Toren Tue Oct 14, 2014 02:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 941666)
Trying to get my arms around 2 different scenarios:

1) B1 commits intentional foul on A1 with a 2 handed shove in the back that results in A1 crashing into the wall behind basket.

2) B1 slaps the wrist of A1 on the throw- in underneath the basket resulting in an intentional foul.

In the above after the FTs..does Team A have a designated spot throw in or can they run the line?

If they had the endline priviledge before the foul, they retain it after the foul.

APG Tue Oct 14, 2014 02:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 941668)
If they had the endline priviledge before the foul, they retain it after the foul.

Assuming NFHS, that's only true if the foul is a common foul. The scenario presented will always result in a designated spot throw-in after the FTs.

bob jenkins Tue Oct 14, 2014 02:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 941668)

That is true under NCAAW rules, but not under FED rules.

bballref3966 Tue Oct 14, 2014 03:02pm

Retaining the end line privilege only applies for a common foul. I should know, I missed a similar question on my association exam last year. :rolleyes:

And if I see a scenario like #1, I'm calling it flagrant.

Toren Tue Oct 14, 2014 03:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 941675)
Assuming NFHS, that's only true if the foul is a common foul. The scenario presented will always result in a designated spot throw-in after the FTs.

Thanks for the clarification. That seems to go clearly against the intent of that rule. Taking away the endline priviledge seems to help out the team who committed the foul.

Anyone have a rationale?

Camron Rust Tue Oct 14, 2014 03:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 941681)
Thanks for the clarification. That seems to go clearly against the intent of that rule. Taking away the endline priviledge seems to help out the team who committed the foul.

Anyone have a rationale?

The FTs for the IF/Flagrant in combination with the possession are considered to be enough of a penalty/compensation. Getting those 2 extra points is worth far more than being able to run the line.

In other cases, the endline run is retained because the the throwin is the only compensation for the infraction. The loss of the running privileges would be the only real effect, a benefit for the team committing the infraction instead of a penalty.

Freddy Tue Oct 14, 2014 04:18pm

Wow

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 941681)

Anyone have a rationale?

7.5.7D reiterates what has been correctly stated above. No rationale here. In fact, this is another one of those "Ten Rules I Don't Think are Fair." That's two this week that have come up here.

BillyMac Tue Oct 14, 2014 05:53pm

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 941686)
7.5.7D.

7.5.7 SITUATION D: Team A scores a field goal. B1 picks up the ball and steps
out of bounds at the end line to prepare for a throw-in. Before the throw-in is
completed, A2 is called for an intentional (or flagrant) foul on B3 near the end
line. RULING: B3 would shoot the two free throws for the intentional (or flagrant)
foul with the lane cleared. Team B will then have a designated spot throw-in on
the end line. (7-5-4b)

Toren Wed Oct 15, 2014 09:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 941690)
completed, A2 is called for an intentional (or flagrant) foul on B3 near the end
line. RULING: B3 would shoot the two free throws for the intentional (or flagrant)
the end line. (7-5-4b)

Thanks BillyMac.

I don't agree, but they don't pay me for my opinion. :D

Raymond Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 941690)
the end line. (7-5-4b)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 941709)
Thanks BillyMac.

I don't agree, but they don't pay me for my opinion. :D

Once the offense has been given an opportunity to score (2 free throws), there is no need to run the end line. The defense no longer has gained an advantage with the foul.

On a common foul, not allowing the offense to run the end line would give the defense an advantage in fouling.