The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 31, 2003, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

How many of you are mentoring a young official or officials? And what do you try to do for that official (i.e go to their games, talk to them about game situations, take them to your games, etc. etc)?

Next is there any written or unwritten rule of thumb as to how many mentors you can have?
Old Sun Aug 31, 2003, 04:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Are you talking about an organized program with your associations, or are you talking about mentoring on your own?

Because the latter, I have brought a couple of guys into officiating. And all I do is talk to them periodically about what to expect and what not to expect. I usually let them call me and ask questions when they feel free. One of these guys does two sports, so I see him at meetings until the basketball season. I even had a fellow official take me under his wing and teach me the right way. I partnered up with him often and did my first varsity games with him during my first season. He is one of my best friends in the world to this day, even with the fact he moved away. I would talk to him every day and hang out (we both were in college when we met) all the time when he lived in Illinois. But that was what happen with me. I think the more friends you are, the better of a mentor you can be or have. I have a few guys that I talk to about all kinds of things dealing with officiating. When I tell them something, it stays with them. And I think that is the best way to go. So if the person being mentored complains about an assignor or another official, the person being givin the information should not run with that info in any way. They just might be complaining about something they have yet to realize and will learn in time.

Just be a friend. That is the best advice I can give.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 31, 2003, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I've had two official mentors in my officiating career. I had one my first year of officiating and I got another one during my third. I think you should collect as many mentors as you feel necessary to accomplish your goals. Tiger Woods still uses Butch Harmon so why can't you still use a mentor at your stage of developement. You may have to change mentors based on your goals as I did, but you still should have one.

Since the area that I moved to does not have an official mentoring program, I do not have a mentee. That saying. It is the responsibility of the mentee not the mentor to initiate the the instruction. They should work some scrimmages or Junior High games together. Maybe rec league. But then I think that two or three times a season, they should work it out where the mentee is calling the subvarsity contest where the mentor is calling the varsity. This way they can watch each other work. How they interact with a diffent partner. How they cover the floor. If possible, review game film. I sent videos to my mentor from time to time for his comments.

What I am saying is to be a good mentor, just be available, open and honest.
Old Mon Sep 01, 2003, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
And I would add, "BE POSITIVE!!" If the mentee is open to instruction, a positive approach is going to net the best results. If the mentee is not really open, all the harshness and berating in the world aren't going to help at all.
Old Mon Sep 01, 2003, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Red face This is a great time to sharpen your own tools

I have found that working with people makes me think a lot more. I have been working with a newer official this summer and we have both improved our game tremendously. We worked on keeping double whisles to a minimum. That was a good start as it blended into other important areas like mechanics and coverage area.

On the other hand, I have found that some more experienced officials sometimes give bad advice. Mechanics change, rules change, and sometimes they stay with what they have known for years.

We have some people with our chapter that do come to games and give excellant advice to all of us.
Old Mon Sep 01, 2003, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
And I would add, "BE POSITIVE!!" If the mentee is open to instruction, a positive approach is going to net the best results. If the mentee is not really open, all the harshness and berating in the world aren't going to help at all.
The other side of being positive. It keeps the young man around. Nobody wants to be with a group of negative people.