Thread: MENTORING
View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 31, 2003, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I've had two official mentors in my officiating career. I had one my first year of officiating and I got another one during my third. I think you should collect as many mentors as you feel necessary to accomplish your goals. Tiger Woods still uses Butch Harmon so why can't you still use a mentor at your stage of developement. You may have to change mentors based on your goals as I did, but you still should have one.

Since the area that I moved to does not have an official mentoring program, I do not have a mentee. That saying. It is the responsibility of the mentee not the mentor to initiate the the instruction. They should work some scrimmages or Junior High games together. Maybe rec league. But then I think that two or three times a season, they should work it out where the mentee is calling the subvarsity contest where the mentor is calling the varsity. This way they can watch each other work. How they interact with a diffent partner. How they cover the floor. If possible, review game film. I sent videos to my mentor from time to time for his comments.

What I am saying is to be a good mentor, just be available, open and honest.