The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Freedom of Movement 10-6-12 (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98465-freedom-movement-10-6-12-a.html)

just another ref Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:30pm

We had a little one day clinic/camp deal today and the clinician/rules guy said he had conferred with our head state guy on this issue and that our interpretation is to be multiple touches while the defender is actively engaged with the ballhandler.

Touch......back way off........step up and touch again= nothing automatic

Camron Rust Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 942406)
We had a little one day clinic/camp deal today and the clinician/rules guy said he had conferred with our head state guy on this issue and that our interpretation is to be multiple touches while the defender is actively engaged with the ballhandler.

Touch......back way off........step up and touch again= nothing automatic

Even though I have debated this point on the other side from the perspective of what the rules actually say, I'm hoping that is the way it eventually works out.

Something like...two touches while the defender continuously stays within a closely guarded distance.

just another ref Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 942407)
Even though I have debated this point on the other side from the perspective if what the rules actually say, I'm hoping that is the way it eventually works out.

Something like...two touches while the defender continuously stays with a closely distance.

I asked the question "Is time a factor?" He said that yes it was but 15 seconds was the longest it could be anyway, 10 in the backcourt 5 closely guarded. I didn't mention the fact that one could lose his LGP and still be close enough to touch because I think I got the point he was making and, like you, I think it is reasonable.

bob jenkins Sun Oct 26, 2014 08:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 942412)
I asked the question "Is time a factor?" He said that yes it was but 15 seconds was the longest it could be anyway, 10 in the backcourt 5 closely guarded. I didn't mention the fact that one could lose his LGP and still be close enough to touch because I think I got the point he was making and, like you, I think it is reasonable.

PLus, it could be 10 in the back court and (almost) 10 in the front court if the player dribbles across for 5 seconds and then holds the ball for 5 seconds.

Even in the just FC it coul be (almost) 15 for hold-dribble-hold

TimTaylor Sun Oct 26, 2014 09:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 942407)
Even though I have debated this point on the other side from the perspective of what the rules actually say, I'm hoping that is the way it eventually works out.

Something like...two touches while the defender continuously stays within a closely guarded distance.

I agree Cam. Keeping it within the scope of the same defensive encounter makes the most sense to me - hope it settles out that way. Maybe this question needs to get booted to our SRI so we can get a clear interpretation.

Camron Rust Sun Oct 26, 2014 03:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 942417)
PLus, it could be 10 in the back court and (almost) 10 in the front court if the player dribbles across for 5 seconds and then holds the ball for 5 seconds.

Even in the just FC it coul be (almost) 15 for hold-dribble-hold

Even 25 is possible....just short of ten holding the ball straddling the division line then pivoting into the frontcourt for 5+5+5 more.

Rob1968 Tue Oct 28, 2014 09:23am

I talked with our Assignor/Interpreter last night, after our Rules Clinic. I told him about the discussion, here, regarding 10-12, multiple touches. I told him about the idea of a closely-guarded situation being a possible guideline.
He ended our discussion by saying that the concept seems reasonable, and that will be the interpretation in our state.
The only concern I have from our discussion, is that when I introduced the subject, he seemed to have had no idea that it could be an issue. Hopefully, the disemination of that interpretation will be forthcoming.
We'll see how it plays out. We're still 4 weeks away from our HS season, although fall leagues are in full swing.

Raymond Tue Oct 28, 2014 09:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 942509)
I talked with our Assignor/Interpreter last night, after our Rules Clinic. I told him about the discussion, here, regarding 10-12, multiple touches. I told him about the idea of a closely-guarded situation being a possible guideline.
He ended our discussion by saying that the concept seems reasonable, and that will be the interpretation in our state.....

Does he have a say in your state's rules interpretations?

Rob1968 Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 942512)
Does he have a say in your state's rules interpretations?

Yes, he works for the State High School Activities Assn., and is their voice regarding any interpretations.

bob jenkins Wed Oct 29, 2014 07:42am

Heard here last night:

One touch may or may not be a foul, depending on if it affects RSBQ.

The second touch by the same defender in the same "guarding situation" (I think that's the wording used -- meaning the max 15 seconds of the closely guarded counts, if in the FC) is automatic. Two hands, extended arm bar, one hand left on are also automatics.

JRutledge Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:30am

Well had another meeting tonight where this issue was discussed. Basically there is no such "second touch" automatic fouls for the situation that we were discussing here. RSBQ was referenced several times and I will likely get the PowerPoint and show what was stated from the IHSA people.

As I said, the NCAAW interpretation does not apply here and never was intended to be.

Peace