The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Clever Ruse (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98390-clever-ruse.html)

Kansas Ref Mon Sep 15, 2014 09:08am

Clever Ruse

Was working a youth (8th grade boys) game on Sat., score was 45(team A)- 44 (team B), time left = 45 secs. Team A had ball and all during game they were feeding this really talented big kid the ball down low (i.e., kid could really execute the drop step and spin moves in the post; but was a poor defensive player and had 4 fouls). Team B calls time out and just prior to play resuming, a guard from Team B comes over to me (mind you I am in the trail position now) and tells me "mr. referee watch me I'm going to draw a charge foul on the center). I said "OK". So when play resumes the Team A throws ball into the post, big kid Team A drop steps and the guard on Team B "flops". Team A wins by 5 pts.
*I guess the coach of Team B told the kid to tell me that he was going to draw a charge. I am soooooo glad my crew member in the lead position did NOT buy into the flop!
*Coaches always working the angles---:)

bob jenkins Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:45am

?????

AremRed Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 940134)
?????

TL;DR: Coach A wants to foul out other teams best player (Player B1). Coach A tells Player A1 player to draw a charge on Player B1, but tell the official first so he can expect it. Player A1 tells wrong official, primary official doesn't bite on the flop.

Kansas Ref Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 940134)
?????

*are you saying you did not comprehend my post OR are you questioning the stratagem of the Teams?

bob jenkins Mon Sep 15, 2014 01:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kansas Ref (Post 940146)
*are you saying you did not comprehend my post OR are you questioning the stratagem of the Teams?

I didn't quite understand the point of the post. I didn't see a question; I don't think it was a "clever ruse"; players and coaches have been known to tell an official to watch for something that they are about to run; ...

edit: I also don't mean that to sound as curmudgeonly as it might. I'm just trying to clarify if there's something for me to learn, or something for us to address.

JRutledge Mon Sep 15, 2014 01:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kansas Ref (Post 940146)

I was a little confused as well. Coaches try to tell us what to call or tell us what they are doing all the time. That is nothing new to many of us that have been out there for some time. Actually I am surprised when a coach does not try to influence what we call in some way or inventive way.

Peace

Kansas Ref Mon Sep 15, 2014 01:53pm

ahhh OK, fellow refs: actually it's the first time it has happened to me in such a --shall I say--direct manner. Nevertheless, I can see that most of you did comprehend the intent of post.
I must confess, I did find it amusing tho that the kid was being "put up to"--however, he was telling the wrong ref;)
Thanks.

Toren Mon Sep 15, 2014 02:34pm

I thought you were going to go into how Team B can take a timeout when Team A has the ball. Now that is a clever ruse.

BatteryPowered Mon Sep 15, 2014 02:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 940157)
I thought you were going to go into how Team B can take a timeout when Team A has the ball. Now that is a clever ruse.

I'm thinking maybe a dead ball...but I could be wrong.

bob jenkins Mon Sep 15, 2014 03:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BatteryPowered (Post 940159)
I'm thinking maybe a dead ball...but I could be wrong.

Can a team "have" a dead ball?

and, I think you're giving the kids way too much credit if you think they should know which official will be responsible for a potential charge play. Heck, if you saw the flop then you would also have seen any foul and it's likely (in my mind's eye) that it would be such a play that you should go get it if your partner didn't.

BatteryPowered Mon Sep 15, 2014 03:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 940160)
Can a team "have" a dead ball?

and, I think you're giving the kids way too much credit if you think they should know which official will be responsible for a potential charge play. Heck, if you saw the flop then you would also have seen any foul and it's likely (in my mind's eye) that it would be such a play that you should go get it if your partner didn't.

I didn't say team A "had" a dead ball...I said maybe there WAS a dead ball. :D

And I agree...many kids at the high school level wouldn't know which official to tell, much less a junior high kid.

Coach Bill Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kansas Ref (Post 940130)
Was working a youth (8th grade boys) game on Sat., score was 45(team A)- 44 (team B), time left = 45 secs. Team A had ball and all during game they were feeding this really talented big kid the ball down low (i.e., kid could really execute the drop step and spin moves in the post; but was a poor defensive player and had 4 fouls). Team B calls time out and just prior to play resuming, a guard from Team B comes over to me (mind you I am in the trail position now) and tells me "mr. referee watch me I'm going to draw a charge foul on the center). I said "OK". So when play resumes the Team A throws ball into the post, big kid Team A drop steps and the guard on Team B "flops". Team A wins by 5 pts.
*I guess the coach of Team B told the kid to tell me that he was going to draw a charge. I am soooooo glad my crew member in the lead position did NOT buy into the flop!
*Coaches always working the angles---:)

Coach waits all game to make an adjustment and that's what he comes up with? Have the guard cover their talented big man, and hope he commits a charge?

Kansas Ref Tue Sep 16, 2014 01:31pm

you know how those coaches are always working the angles--can't blame them though, I'd prolly do the same if I (Heaven-forbid :o) was ever a hoops coach!

Adam Tue Sep 16, 2014 02:23pm

Coaches who intentionally tell their kids to cheat aren't working the angles, they're cheating. They can call it "working the angles," but it's deceitful and cheating.

MD Longhorn Tue Sep 16, 2014 03:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 940210)
Coaches who intentionally tell their kids to cheat aren't working the angles, they're cheating. They can call it "working the angles," but it's deceitful and cheating.

Maybe he wasn't teaching him to cheat. maybe he told the kid to go in there, guard the behemoth and take a charge ... and the kid either didn't know how to or was afraid to get too close.