The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   So you think he was being nice huh? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98304-so-you-think-he-being-nice-huh.html)

JRutledge Mon Aug 18, 2014 07:50am

So you think he was being nice huh?

How to Manipulate the Referees to Make Every Call in Your Team's Favor | Basketball For Coaches

Still funny stuff.

I am actually surprised this was not posted here. But it is really funny to me. What do you think?

Peace

Raymond Mon Aug 18, 2014 08:08am

I see the author is a fan of fantasies.

Toren Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:55am

I don't mind his points, I think some of those are great communication tips for coaches.

Not sure how he comes out with his conclusion though, he might as well have said, "If you do these 9 things, you will have a fantastic chance of seeing aliens after the game".

BryanV21 Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:08am

I don't have a real problem with this article, but it does remind me of a big pet peeve of mine.

Quote:

A couple of referee decisions can decide a basketball game.
Quote:

After all, the opposition only receives two free throws. This might be a big deal at the end of a close game, but when put into the context of a full game with all the missed shots and 50/50 calls, two free throws isn’t much.
Flip-flop?

So if a referee makes one or two bad calls during a game it's a bad thing, as it can decide a game. But a coach purposely giving the opposition two free throws (and possession, mind you... which he forgot to add), can be a good strategy?

Unreal.

Hugh Refner Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:20am

Here's a quote from the article:

Get clarification from the referee on exactly what your player is doing wrong in the referees eyes so that you can tell the player to adjust.

Here's an example of what my answer would be regarding "get clarification": "Tell your player not to commit fouls."

Rob1968 Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:48am

Coach: "You gotta make some calls at the other end!"
Me: "I will, in the 2nd half!"
Coach: "Okay!" and then he sat down, seemingly satisfied with the outcome of our conversation . . .
Asst. Coach, to me: "I'll explain it to him later . . ."

Several of the ideas in the article can't/won't have any affect on the way an official works a game. They are only comments that may contribute to the communication between the coach and official.

JRutledge Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh Refner (Post 939089)

Get clarification from the referee on exactly what your player is doing wrong in the referees eyes so that you can tell the player to adjust.

Here's an example of what my answer would be regarding "get clarification": "Tell your player not to commit fouls."

And if you tell them that, you are the bad guy. And this is the problem I have with the article. The information is fine to tell coaches how to communicate with the officials, but it is wrong to think that these things are going to get you a call or manipulate the official in getting a call.

Peace

Adam Mon Aug 18, 2014 01:02pm

Just to pile on, #8 tells me this guy doesn't coach much higher level ball at all.

JRutledge Mon Aug 18, 2014 01:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 939093)
Just to pile on, #8 tells me this guy doesn't coach much higher level ball at all.

Exactly.

Peace

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Aug 18, 2014 01:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh Refner (Post 939089)

+1

MTD, Sr.

Raymond Mon Aug 18, 2014 01:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 939093)

From #8: "...You don’t want the referee walking into your next match with a grudge against you..."

Seriously? :rolleyes:

JRutledge Mon Aug 18, 2014 01:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 939097)
From #8: "...You don’t want the referee walking into your next match with a grudge against you..."

And I guess the handshake is going to solve all of that. Laughable. :eek:

Peace

Adam Mon Aug 18, 2014 01:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 939097)

Yeah, that was part of the problem for me, too. He obviously thinks very low of the integrity of the officials he gets. The fact that they're hanging around after his games tells me all I need to know about the level of games he's working.

Welpe Mon Aug 18, 2014 02:15pm

He's missing one very important point about drawing a technical. It's half way to getting sent to the showers plus he gets seat belted. I'm sure there are coaches that get T'd up on purpose but there are some unintended consequences to the approach he's advocating.

It'd be wildly entertaining to have a coach take his advice, go way too far and get a Flagrant T. "What do you mean I'm ejected? This guy on the internet said it'd be only two shots!"

Rooster Mon Aug 18, 2014 02:44pm

Wow. Just wow. I had a feeling I should have stopped reading after the title. EVERY call, huh?