The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Illegal or legal screen (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98006-illegal-legal-screen-video.html)

Texref Mon Jun 02, 2014 04:48pm

Illegal or legal screen (Video)

Skylar Diggins Wiped Out By Crystal Langhorne Screen - YouTube

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/y_Ihhp5aXeA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Someone please embed. I couldn't find, albeit I didn't look too hard, the thread on how to embed directly.

Seattle storm game right at the end of the 2nd quarter if other footage available. I don't see what defender did wrong from the highlight.

SNIPERBBB Mon Jun 02, 2014 05:03pm

On second look, it could be borderline on time and distance and slightly leaning forward.

bob jenkins Mon Jun 02, 2014 07:43pm

Did she give a moving defender time and distance to avoid the screen?

Texref Mon Jun 02, 2014 07:47pm

Bob, I believe she did. I do see her "firming up" right before contact but not moving towards skylar. Howeve the angle is not the best and it's a brief clip at that.

JetMetFan Mon Jun 02, 2014 09:07pm

Illegal. The opponent needs to be able to take at least one regular step from the moment the screener legally sets the screen (in this case, when she stops moving). That didn't happen on this play.

AremRed Mon Jun 02, 2014 09:46pm

No time/distance AND the screener extends her left arm after contact.

BillyMac Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:42pm

Two Steps ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 935338)
The opponent needs to be able to take at least one regular step from the moment the screener legally sets the screen.

That's for a stationary defender. Diggins was actually a moving defender, and at the speed she was moving, she probably should have been afforded two steps.

If a blind screen is set on a stationary defender, the defender must be given one normal step to change direction and attempt to avoid contact. If a screen is set on a moving defender, the defender gets a minimum of one step and a maximum of two steps, depending on the speed and distance of the defender.

Bottom line? Illegal screen.

Raymond Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 935339)
No time/distance AND the screener extends her left arm after contact.

That's what I see also.

Camron Rust Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 935343)
That's what I see also.

If the video were just a bit more clear you might even be able to make a case for a flagrant foul for elbow contact above the shoulders.

Nevadaref Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:20pm

This clip is an example of the difference between the men's and women's games. On the men's side this a hard, but legal screen. On the women's side this will almost always be called a foul.

JetMetFan Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 935341)
That's for a stationary defender. Diggins was actually a moving defender, and at the speed she was moving, she probably should have been afforded two steps.

If a blind screen is set on a stationary defender, the defender must be given one normal step to change direction and attempt to avoid contact. If a screen is set on a moving defender, the defender gets a minimum of one step and a maximum of two steps, depending on the speed and distance of the defender.

Bottom line? Illegal screen.

Remember, I said "at least" :) . It could have been two steps/strides:

Quote:

WNBA Rule 12-B-III: "A player who sets a screen shall not...(3) assume a position so near a moving opponent she is not given the opportunity to stop and/or change direction before making illegal contact...the speed of the opponent being screened will determine what the screener's stationary position may be. This position will vary and may be one or two steps or strides from her opponent.
It's a matter of judgment but I'll agree in this case two probably would've been good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 935345)
This clip is an example of the difference between the men's and women's games. On the men's side this a hard, but legal screen. On the women's side this will almost always be called a foul.

I've seen it called in NBA games but there shouldn't be a difference. The wording in the WNBA rule book is exactly the same as that in the NBA rule book.

Nevadaref Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:30am

There is no difference in the rule, but there is certainly a difference in how the whistle is blown and the expectations of the players, coaches, and supervisors.

Pantherdreams Tue Jun 03, 2014 07:21am

I'm ok with the time and distance allowed. But I feel like the left arm extension and pop on the play that we are a little blocked out on by the camera angle until the end of the play is the deal breaker.

I've got a foul.

But if she'd just held her ground and not extended into her I'm probably ok with a no call.

JRutledge Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:31am

I call as many fouls on illegal screens as anyone, this looks legal to me. The screener is preparing for the contact and it appears no one called out the screen for the defender.

I got nothing. And I think the fact that this is a women's game is why this was called. The defender was not moving that fast and you can give them one or two steps and this was enough time and distance IMO.

Peace

grunewar Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:10pm

An inexact science..........

I just continue to find it fascinating that even with the comfort of slow motion, repetitive instant replays, we can continue to have differing opinions on the same call......and that's why this is such an interesting and enjoyable avocation on the court, real-time, where we don't have such a luxury.

Appreciate all the insights as to what call you would make and why in this, and other circumstances.