The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 27, 2014, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

5 Ideal Jobs for Retirees

"Because more Americans need the money or simply like their jobs, they are staying at their current jobs longer and avoiding complete retirement as long as possible. Others are leaving their stressful full-time jobs but choosing to work part-time to make a little money or just have something interesting to do. There are several types of jobs that are ideal for retirees, including the following five."

Read more: 5 Ideal Jobs for Retirees

Need to get to page 4.
Old Thu May 29, 2014, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Excellent. I've got my retirement job all lined up ... 30 years from now I'll be all set.
Old Thu May 29, 2014, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Number 4 on the list certainly works for me. I give kudos to certain ones who shall remain nameless who are doing both #3 and #4. Hoorah!!!
Old Thu May 29, 2014, 08:56am
Get away from me, Steve.

I see a lot of people locally taking on a new sport much older than I could imagine. Lacrosse is new here and people have taken to it. Others have picked up volleyball.

At 44 (and finishing my 27th year - I started working HS hoops and baseball as a college freshman), I can't imagine taking on a new sport at this point. My last new sport was football when I was 25 years old.

When I took on small college football 2 years ago and moved to a deep wing position (which we don't use in HS football), it seemed foreign to me, but it was still football. Can't imagine taking anything really new on anymore.
Old Thu May 29, 2014, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

I was thinking giving up officiating when I retired, not doing more of it.
Old Thu May 29, 2014, 04:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

What A Racket ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Others have picked up volleyball.
Same here in my little corner of Connecticut. Girls (fall), and boys (spring), volleyball matches (is that what's they're called, matches?) are, for the most part, are played in the mid, to late, afternoon, difficult for many who have a day job to fit into their schedule, but perfect for retirees. We have guys who have almost no experience playing volleyball, other than high school physical education classes (back in the Cretaceous Period), officiating state tournament matches in their very first year of officiating. And they tell me it's real easy to learn the rules, and mechanics, and that the hardest part, physically, is climbing up the ladder.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu May 29, 2014 at 04:42pm.
Old Thu May 29, 2014, 04:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Plus The Money Isn't Bad ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re View Post
I was thinking giving up officiating when I retired, not doing more of it.
Here, in my little corner of Connecticut, we have difficulty assigning officials to middle school (3:30 p.m.), and freshman (4:00 p.m.), high school basketball games. Our day jobs get in the way. If an official is available for these games, he instantly becomes our assignment commissioner's best friend.

When I retire in a few years, my goal is to be healthy enough continue to work my varsity games, and to make myself available for these afternoon games. I'm looking forward to mentoring the "rookie", and inexperienced, officials that are often assigned these afternoon subvarsity games.

Subvarsity fees, for all subvarsity games, including middle school, were $59.23 last season. That's more than just pocket change at two, or three, subvarsity games each week for a twelve week season.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu May 29, 2014 at 04:36pm.
Old Fri May 30, 2014, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Subvarsity fees, for all subvarsity games, including middle school, were $59.23 last season. That's more than just pocket change at two, or three, subvarsity games each week for a twelve week season.
Wow, when I last did a MS game, I think it paid $15.
Old Fri May 30, 2014, 04:04am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
That is a nice chunk of change. I just hope my body holds up so I can make these decisions.
Old Fri May 30, 2014, 06:20am
Esteemed Forum Member

Don't Forget About The High Cost Of Living In Connecticut ...

Quote:
Subvarsity fees, for all subvarsity games, including middle school, were $59.23 last season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
That is a nice chunk of change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
Wow, when I last did a MS game, I think it paid $15.
Don't get too excited. Remember, this is Connecticut, you have to have an IAABO patch, these are, pretty much, all two man games, officials who are assigned middle school games by our high school assignment commissioner are expected to use all proper high school mechanics (switch on all fouls, etc.), and you may have to work with at least one very "experienced" (euphemism) official who wears a black belt.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri May 30, 2014 at 06:26am.
Old Fri May 30, 2014, 07:49am
Do not give a damn!!

I think the article just glosses over what it takes to be an official. As usual they act like anyone can just roll off the street and do what we do. If someone is retired and wants to officiate and never done it before, that might be a hard transition at that point of your life. It is hard for people that come later in life when they are in their 40s and 50s when their kids have finally left for college or their house for good, let alone what it would be for a retired person at a much older age. None of us should really be surprised, most people think anyone can do what we do. And they equate coaching with what we do too, which has nothing to do with our jobs either.

Peace
Old Fri May 30, 2014, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

We have had several retirees/newbies who have a big impact at the subvarsity level. One had the time to reformat old NFHS exams and convince the county to start testing and certifying wreck refs.

But, these guys all do it because they enjoy it. The money was secondary. Young and old alike think you can make a living as a referee, and several dozen NBA refs actually do.

Luckily I convinced my son to go to college and let referee money merely supplement his income as a sports journalist.
Old Fri May 30, 2014, 05:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Old Dog, New Tricks ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I think the article just glosses over what it takes to be an official. As usual they act like anyone can just roll off the street and do what we do. If someone is retired and wants to officiate and never done it before, that might be a hard transition at that point of your life. It is hard for people that come later in life when they are in their 40s and 50s when their kids have finally left for college or their house for good, let alone what it would be for a retired person at a much older age.
I know that volleyball officiating isn't the same as basketball officiating, but we've had several of our local basketball officials make a successful move over to volleyball, with little, or no volleyball experience, when they retired from their day jobs.

We've also had some older guys, and gals, take our basketball rules, and mechanics, classes, pass our floor exam, and move on to became successful subvarsity basketball officials.

Retirees, in decent physical shape, can become successful subvarsity basketball officials if they want to put in the effort, and take advantage of the training, over several months, that all of our rookie officials, both young, and old, go through. If they continue to work hard, and take advantage of our mentor program, and other educational programs that we offer (camps, clinics, etc.) they can move up the ladder. How far up the ladder they move when they're in their 60's is another story, especially since, here in my little corner of Connecticut, it takes four years, including the "cadet" year, to get any varsity games, and three more years of a partial varsity schedule until one gets a full varsity schedule, assuming that one's ratings are superior. Many retirees could be dead, or with bodies full of artificial hips, and knees, by then.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri May 30, 2014 at 05:28pm.
Old Fri May 30, 2014, 05:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I know that volleyball officiating isn't the same as basketball officiating, but we've had several of our local basketball officials make a successful move over to volleyball, with little, or no volleyball experience, when they retired from their day jobs.
We are on a basketball board, not a volleyball one. Of course someone can pick up volleyball, but most other sports require fitness and movement. And even some of those that are older have problems climbing the ladder and that is why some will not be the official on the latter (whatever that is their position name).

Quote:
We've also had some older guys, and gals, take our basketball rules, and mechanics, classes, pass our floor exam, and move on to became successful subvarsity basketball officials.

Retirees, in decent physical shape, can become successful subvarsity basketball officials if they want to put in the effort, and take advantage of the training, over several months, that all of our rookie officials, both young, and old, go through. If they continue to work hard, and take advantage of our mentor program, and other educational programs that we offer (camps, clinics, etc.) they can move up the ladder. How far up the ladder they move when they're in their 60's is another story, especially since, here in my little corner of Connecticut, it takes four years, including the "cadet" year, to get any varsity games, and three more years of a partial varsity schedule until one gets a full varsity schedule, assuming that one's ratings are superior. Many retirees could be dead, or with bodies full of artificial hips, and knees, by then.
I did not say they could not officiate. But those come in even at the 40s and up ages, they often want to work varsity basketball after a period of time. That can be difficult if you are not in great shape. With that being said, not everyone at that age is breaking down physically. I also teach a newer officials basketball class and we do not see many in their 60s coming to officiating for the first time. I know the term "retiree" is sometimes generic, but there are people that retire at younger ages than 65.

Peace
Old Fri May 30, 2014, 06:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Read The Obituaries In The Newspaper Every Morning ...

.. and if my name's not listed, I know that it's going to be a good day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... Not everyone at that age is breaking down physically.
During my annual physical exam last summer, my doctor told me that I had the prostate of a teenager, and the knees of a ninety-nine year old.