The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Basketball oddities (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97741-basketball-oddities.html)

churchleagueref Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:54pm

Basketball oddities

In a designated throw-in spot situation, once the thrower-in has released the ball, can they run in the out-of-bounds area along the endline ?

It would seem they cannot, because they would no longer be authorized as they were when they were the thrower-in. I have never thought of a "time limit" for the thrower-in to leave the out-of-bounds area, hence my question.

Thanks in advance for any help on this :confused:

Camron Rust Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:54pm

They must go directly inbound where directly is not explicitly defined.

Raymond Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:43am

Which leaves us with that testy word called .judgment

Camron Rust Sun Apr 13, 2014 01:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 931594)
Which leaves us with that testy word called .judgment

Yep. For me if their line is more towards the court than along the OOB line, I consider it good enough....going inbounds within 3-5 feet of where the started. If they run 15 feet OOB across the key, not good.

BillyMac Sun Apr 13, 2014 04:56am

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

10-3: A player shall not: Purposely and/or deceitfully delay returning after legally being out of bounds.

10.3.2 SITUATION A: A1 has the ball out of bounds for a throw-in. A1 completes
the throw-in to A2 and then purposefully delays his/her return by taking
four or five steps along the end line prior to coming inbounds behind a screen set
by A3 and A4. A1 gets a return pass from A2 and takes an unchallenged try for
goal. RULING: A1 is charged with a technical foul for purposefully delaying
his/her return to the court following the throw-in. A1’s movement out of bounds
along the end line was to take advantage of the screen and return to the court in
a more advantageous position.

Adam Sun Apr 13, 2014 08:15am

Anyone actually call this? I've warned for it, once or twice, but that's as far as I've gone.

BillyMac Sun Apr 13, 2014 09:14am

Leaving Court: Violation ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 931613)
Anyone actually call this? I've warned for it, once or twice, but that's as far as I've gone.

I've also warned a few times. I would definitely call it more often if it was only a violation rather than a technical foul.

I even suggested a rule change a few years ago. I'm not sure how far "up the ladder" it went, but it, obviously, didn't make it to the top.

Present rule: NFHS 9-3-3: A player shall not leave the court for an unauthorized reason.
PENALTY: (Section 3) The ball is dead when the violation occurs and is awarded to the opponents for a throw in from the designated out-of-bounds spot nearest the violation. (See 6-7-9 Exception d)

Present rule: NFHS 10-3-2: A player shall not: Purposely and/or deceitfully delay returning after legally being out of bounds.
PENALTY: (Section 3) Two free throws plus ball for division-line throw-in.

Rationale for change: Change 10-3-2 from a technical foul to a violation. Purposely and/or deceitfully delay returning after legally being out of bounds should carry the same penalty as leaving the court for an unauthorized reason.

Suggested change: NFHS 9-3-3-B: A player shall not purposely and/or deceitfully delay returning after legally being out of bounds.
PENALTY: (Section 3) The ball is dead when the violation occurs and is awarded to the opponents for a throw-in from the designated out-of-bounds spot nearest the violation. (See 6-7-9 Exception d)

Freddy Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:33am

Kinda...

Quote:

Didn't happen to me, but to two or three of our younger association officials in junior high games they were doing last season. A couple of coaches must have strategized late at the pub one night, "I know, let's tell our thrower inner not to come onto the court until we yell 'NOW!'" Sure enough. About four or five seconds after the throw in was completed, the coach would yell "NOW!" and the by-then-unguarded guy would step in right under the basket for an easy shot.
After the solution to the malady was brought up in a rules meeting, one or two T's were dished out. Followed, of course, by manifest protest by said coaches, to no avail of course.
The problem stopped.

JRutledge Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:00pm

I usually say, "Get on the court" and that usually solves this problem. At least they know I am watching. Most of the time they just stand there not knowing what to do. I would mainly call a T if I felt it was deliberate or if they clearly got an advantage from staying there.

Peace

rockyroad Mon Apr 14, 2014 01:23pm

Quote:

Once. Several years ago. Backcourt throw-in on endline. I stepped away about 6 or 7 feet and bounced ball to thrower. Defenders run up and try to "surprise" them with a press. Kid throws the ball in, and then turns and runs over towards me, goes BEHIND me and then runs out onto court and gets pass back from teammate. Nice way to break the press...Coach just shook his head as I reported the T. Not sure if he was shaking his head at me or his player. Didn't really care either way.

Stat-Man Mon Apr 14, 2014 03:17pm

Quote:

I haven't called a T, but this winter I called a violation for a player cutting underneath the basket and going OOB and then coming back in bounds twice during an observed scrimmage (3 courts with a trainer/senior official observing crews of two). The offending team's coach said something to the court observer and the observer told me not to call a violation unless the player catches the ball upon returning in bounds.

justacoach Mon Apr 14, 2014 03:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stat-Man (Post 931728)
unless the player catches the ball upon returning in bounds.

That would be putting an NCAA twist into the game.

BillyMac Mon Apr 14, 2014 04:07pm

Intentional ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 931706)
I would mainly call a T if I felt it was deliberate or if they clearly got an advantage.

Agree. Deliberate, and/or advantage gained, are pretty much the same as purposely, and/or deceitfully.

Adam Mon Apr 14, 2014 04:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stat-Man (Post 931728)
I haven't called a T, but this winter I called a violation for a player cutting underneath the basket and going OOB and then coming back in bounds twice during an observed scrimmage (3 courts with a trainer/senior official observing crews of two). The offending team's coach said something to the court observer and the observer told me not to call a violation unless the player catches the ball upon returning in bounds.

If I was feeling particularly grumpy, I might ask politely if we're playing under NFHS rules.

More than likely, I'd just file it away quietly while nodding disingenuously.

Although, to be fair, many areas only want this called if it violates the NCAA rule, so if that evaluator has any input into your season schedule, you may want to consider it.

chapmaja Wed Apr 16, 2014 09:52pm

Quote:

College IM game years ago. The player was intentionally running around the screens after throwing it in. We warned him several times, and finally T'ed him for it. His HS coach was at the game watching and after the game yelled at us for calling it. Two days later the HS team got called for it because he taught them to do it. He ended up being tossed for arguing the call to the point he was T'ed twice. (I was not calling the Varsity game, but was watching after calling the JV game earlier).