The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 07, 2014, 10:15pm
big jake

All black shoes in the tournament

Guess Adams got out the message that no white allowed except on Shows hair?
Old Mon Apr 07, 2014, 10:17pm
In Time Out

Black shoes look terrible need some color on the shoes!
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 06:59am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by big jake View Post
Guess Adams got out the message that no white allowed except on Shows hair?
I was going to comment about that. During the regular season, officials can do whatever their supervisors let them get away with, but John Adams doesn't like it (and he has made that clear) and officials in the tournament are going to comply.

Really not that difficult to do.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Apr 08, 2014 at 08:26am.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 07:42am
Keeper of the HAMMER

For what they're getting paid, they can afford an extra $100 pair of shoes.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 10:40am
big jake

TV Ted wore the Nike Logo all year long and did not work the finals. Wonder if that was why he was watching from home?
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 10:41am
beware big brother

Quote:
TV Ted wore the Nike Logo all year long and did not work the finals. Wonder if that was why he was watching from home?

That would be a no.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 10:43am
big jake

Cool

Then what was the reason as he had a good year except for the issue at Cinn.? He lost a ton of weight and for the most part stayed out of trouble except for his Hollywood shoes?
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 10:46am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Then what was the reason as he had a good year except for the issue at Cinn.? He lost a ton of weight and for the most part stayed out of trouble except for his Hollywood shoes?
Maybe they wanted to give someone else a chance? Is that possible that there does not have to be a "reason" that someone does not get picked? I know other guys that wore black shoes and did not go as far as they have in the past that John Adams appears to like.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 10:48am
beware big brother

Quote:

I don't know, maybe the officials that worked the game were the names on the balls that came out of the lottery machine when Adams was choosing who was going to work each round. Or perhaps, and this is just a long shot, the officials chosen were higher rated.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 10:51am
Get away from me, Steve.

Personally, I think it's idiotic that people speculate on this stuff. Who knows why? Why don't you pick up the phone and call Adams and ask him?

I also wouldn't mind seeing more than one new official in the batch of 10 chosen. I'm sure that they could assign one new person per on-floor crew plus a new alternate and nobody would know or care. They do it how they want to, however.

It is the main reason that at many different levels (including HS) that it's hard to break through and get that first big game. Lots of qualified guys will never get that shot.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

John Adams' mantra for assigning is simple: "I'm going to assign the best available official that I have to the game".

Technically speaking, the 10 officials assigned to The Final Four are selected/approved by the NCAA D1 Men's Basketball Committee. Realistically speaking, the 10 officials are the highest rated officials by John Adams and his observers during the course of the tournament.

Why in the world would Adams assign a "lower rated" official to The Final Four simply to give "a new guy a chance"? That's a quick way to lose his job......
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 11:51am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
John Adams' mantra for assigning is simple: "I'm going to assign the best available official that I have to the game".

Technically speaking, the 10 officials assigned to The Final Four are selected/approved by the NCAA D1 Men's Basketball Committee. Realistically speaking, the 10 officials are the highest rated officials by John Adams and his observers during the course of the tournament.

Why in the world would Adams assign a "lower rated" official to The Final Four simply to give "a new guy a chance"? That's a quick way to lose his job......
Ratings are subjective. One could argue that those same officials are rated highest because Adams subconsciously makes the criteria fit those officials that he likes the most.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 11:56am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Ratings are subjective. One could argue that those same officials are rated highest because Adams subconsciously makes the criteria fit those officials that he likes the most.
That is very true. And I am sure he has to justify his picks and if he makes the wrong decision enough, Adams will be out of a job. We all have a boss on some level or people we have to be accountable to at some point. That is of course you own your own business and no one is paying your bills.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

JR, there's still the client.

One reason why you would want to give someone a shot is you don't want to end up one day with a group of mostly inexperienced FF officials to choose from. There's a big difference in a Cowboys Stadium crowd and one at the AAC in Dallas (where a first round might be held) or even at the Garden where a regional might be held. I know Cowboys hosted a regional but not everyone worked there and even then, it wasn't the same environment.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 05:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
JR, there's still the client.

One reason why you would want to give someone a shot is you don't want to end up one day with a group of mostly inexperienced FF officials to choose from. There's a big difference in a Cowboys Stadium crowd and one at the AAC in Dallas (where a first round might be held) or even at the Garden where a regional might be held. I know Cowboys hosted a regional but not everyone worked there and even then, it wasn't the same environment.
What do you mean "There's still the client?"

Peace