The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Just b/c you view it one way doesn't mean it's correct, or what's interpreted elsewhere is incorrect.

I know I saw Harrison go to through lane in the 2nd half, get bumped, then pass the ball off. And I know I saw the Crew Chief indicate a "pass off" and give Harrison bonus free throws instead of 2 shots.
True, but have you ever heard anyone say that shifting the ball from one hand to the other ends the try?

And I agreed with the pass off call. I don't think he was in the shooting motion on that play...not because he ultimately passed but because he was never in a shooting motion.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

I thought it was the correct call. Defender caught the ball and became offense, Harrison moved towards him while he was airborne. If the defender hadn't caught the ball and it made it to Harrison, the foul would have been the other way since the onus on obtaining a legal position is on the "defense".
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
You're are correct about the interp, but in the play in question here, the ball did leave A1's hand and hit the rim.
That's why I'd like to see the video of this play; I wasn't sure if it did.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Guys -

I'll get to these tomorrow. It took a bit to find some of them (ahem... ) and now it's time for me to hit the hay. I think APG got dinged by the NCAA video police so he's off the grid for a bit.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

You can watch the game here: Championship Game. The play occurs with 2.9 seconds left in the 1st half.

The switching of hands appeared to occur primarily b/c of the backboard being in the way of shooting with his right hand.

How would you rule on these plays?:
  • The Micheal Jordan shot Video where he starts with one hand and switches to the other. Lets say he got fouled after starting his motion but before he switches hands are we not scoring it?
  • B1 fouls A1 as he is jumping to shoot a layup. B2 is defending the basket and forces A1 to switch hands and shoot a reverse layup.
This isn't applicable to whether or not we would rule a shooting foul but for fun if you were the person in charge of inputting the stats at the scorers table would you record 1 made field goal on 2 attempts in Jordan's play?

In my opinion the rules support this as being a shooting foul but I think that its good Nevada brings the question up. Anytime we can think critically/differently it helps us in truly understanding the rules.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 05:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Are we talking about the Randall play?

I do not see anything unusual or that would make me not call a shooting foul.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 05:35pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Guys -

I'll get to these tomorrow. It took a bit to find some of them (ahem... ) and now it's time for me to hit the hay. I think APG got dinged by the NCAA video police so he's off the grid for a bit.
Don't tell us anything we don't need to know.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
What are the thoughts in the game last night when the UCONN player picked off a pass and landed on a pretty much stationary Kentucky player who was waiting to receive the pass? It was ruled a block. Did anyone else see that play and know about when it took place. I believe it was in the second half.
Jeremy -

Not only have you been barred for posting poor videos, but now you start a thread and it was integrated into an already existing thread......

Damn.....
Old Wed Apr 09, 2014, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Just watched the and-one play of Randall's with 2 seconds to go in the first; he goes up with two hands, is fouled, and finishes with the left. Not sure what the discussion is even about. Is someone really suggesting you wave that one off?

Great game all around by the officials I thought, there were some great blocks that I was happy to see nothing called on because there was nothing there. Randall had a couple beautys. The only play that stuck out to me was that PC on the spin move. I'm sure that official is not happy with that call in hindsight, but the defense really sold it on him.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2014, 09:47am
Courageous When Prudent

I have no idea why we are discussing the foul at 2.9 of the 1st half. It's a basic 'And-1' play.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2014, 12:09pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Jeremy -

Not only have you been barred for posting poor videos, but now you start a thread and it was integrated into an already existing thread......

Damn.....

I know it didn't put it in this thread bc I knew all the topics would get intermingled. You can't tell what reply goes with what specific play.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2014, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Please post the video of the Kentucky dunk while being fouled by Brimah of UConn during the 2nd half. The score was 48-39 at the time. The whistle occurred at 10:40 of the second half.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 01:22am.
Old Thu Apr 10, 2014, 09:37pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Please post the video of the Kentucky dunk while being fouled by Brimah of UConn during the 2nd half. The score was 48-39 at the time. The whistle occurred at 10:40 of the second half.
Why? So we can debate BI?? Ok, "John Adams".