The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 01:24pm
NFHS Official

Nebraska coach ejected (Video)

Got his second T somewhere around the 11:00 minute mark of the second half. Questionable. Just called a foul on a Nebraska player, and he was waving his arms wanting to talk about the shot clock, was at scores table. Looked like he was complaining about foul.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

The shot clock never moved once they inbounded the ball. The assistant coaches alerted Miles to that. Was he wrong for going to the scorer's table? Definitely, but should the shot clock be stuck on 15 for 3 or 4 seconds without any of the officials recognizing that, probably not! Numerous touch fouls on both ends, terrible to watch. Nebraska wasn't going to win shooting 25%. Karl Hess is my hero, I will leave it at that!
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

video?

Would love to see video of both T's, if available...
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 02:19pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt S. View Post
Would love to see video of both T's, if available...
The first one he earned for sure. Didn't like a foul call, that was really plain to see.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

I am from Illinois and currently live in Nebraska...that game was over-officiated from the start...Miles earned his 2nd T when he used up all of his rope in the first half.

I think this accentuates the need for more national officiating standards...Nebraska like Ohio state played big 10 basketball in a game officiated with different expectations. Having conferences hire officials with their own expectations for assignments and advancements and then a national tournament where those same officials may *may* be asked to officiate a different tempo/style/expectation does the game a disservice.

Nebraska did not play to win that game...don't call me a fanboy...I'm a fan of the game and that game looked ugly. I'm also a fan of quality officiating and in my opinion that was sub-par.

That is my 2 cents...please proceed to hate me now.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure if you could call that basketball. If anyone breathed on anyone, it was a foul! Who likes to watch that? I didn't give Nebraska much of a chance against an athletic Baylor team, but with this crew, they had no chance. It is what it is so I guess we should get used to it.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

video added

Here are the Ts and the plays which led to them

"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

I wish someone would tell me what a "touch foul" is.

If contact places an opponent at a disadvantage, it's a foul, no matter how minimal the contact is. If a player gains an advantage with contact, it's a foul, no matter how minimal the contact is. I'm 100% sure that the three guys on the floor are much more familiar with how John Adams wants the game called than anyone hear.

Know the rules, go to the table, request a timeout for the shot clock mistake and you don't get tossed.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
I wish someone would tell me what a "touch foul" is.

If contact places an opponent at a disadvantage, it's a foul, no matter how minimal the contact is. If a player gains an advantage with contact, it's a foul, no matter how minimal the contact is. I'm 100% sure that the three guys on the floor are much more familiar with how John Adams wants the game called than anyone hear.

Know the rules, go to the table, request a timeout for the shot clock mistake and you don't get tossed.
I have no dog in this hunt ... but there were far too many fouls called that the vast majority of NCAA referees would have not called. Incidental contact that didn't affect the game at all, that sort of thing.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 05:06pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I have no dog in this hunt ... but there were far too many fouls called that the vast majority of NCAA referees would have not called. Incidental contact that didn't affect the game at all, that sort of thing.
Well, that wasn't incidental contact on the second play. He wasn't arguing the foul, he was talking about the shot clock. It just looked like he was arguing the call. However he had no rope left because he complained the whole time he was in the game.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

2nd T

JetMet, thanks for posting. After seeing this, I'm having a really hard time deciding how I would handle that situation (the 2nd T).

Miles was clearly pointing at the table, trying to get their attention, and Hess wasted no time sticking him without even trying to understand WHY he was flagging them down/pointing at the table.

As we've discussed in other threads, officials have been known to 'un-do' a T...and if Mr. Hess took 2-3 seconds to listen, he probably wouldn't have sent Miles packing early. I can also see the argument that Miles ran out of leash...this is a tough one!
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt S. View Post
Miles was clearly pointing at the table, trying to get their attention, and Hess wasted no time sticking him without even trying to understand WHY he was flagging them down/pointing at the table.
Matt, look at the replay at around 1:53. He is walking toward the division line waving his arms. Only after Hess starts towards him does he point at the table. By then, it's too late.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellmer View Post
The shot clock never moved once they inbounded the ball. The assistant coaches alerted Miles to that. Was he wrong for going to the scorer's table? Definitely, but should the shot clock be stuck on 15 for 3 or 4 seconds without any of the officials recognizing that, probably not! Numerous touch fouls on both ends, terrible to watch. Nebraska wasn't going to win shooting 25%. Karl Hess is my hero, I will leave it at that!
Karl Hess has a camp in Pittsburgh in the end of April, if he is your hero.....
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

agreed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Matt, look at the replay at around 1:53. He is walking toward the division line waving his arms. Only after Hess starts towards him does he point at the table. By then, it's too late.
Good point...it's too bad (I'm not a Nebraskan) because if you've ever listened to Miles or seen him in action he is one of the most-sportsmanlike coaches I've ever seen...definitely got caught up in the moment today.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

1st play was the definitely marginal at best. Hand is on top of the ball. Picked a bad time to go bezerk