The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 01:12pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
I don't think it's a matter of being "scared" per se. It's a matter of self-preservation IMO. Call a T and have possible fallback (i.e. losing high dollar/high profile games because of coaches' ratings and/or complaints) or let the coaches do whatever (and keep your schedule and pay).

Bilias is right...NBA officials are protected by any mandate they put out. Amongst those are its respect for the game guidelines which largely means coaches are lot more under control than their college counterparts. Until officials have the backing from those in power of giving them games, this problem will get lip service at best.
Agreed...having worked for a commissioner/supervisor who did NOT back officials when we called T's on out of control coaches, I can tell you that it sucks. And it does affect game assignments and how much money you make...all because some out of control coach gets whacked (rightly so) and then calls and complains. So was I/were we hesitant to call T's? Hell, yes.

The NCAA could clean it up very quickly if they wanted to.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 01:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
The NCAA could clean it up very quickly if they wanted to.
Only in the tournament. The rest of the season, it would have to be done by the respective individual conferences.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 01:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

It happens at the HS level, too.

I flagged a football coach for unsportsmanlike conduct in 2004 when he came out to the hashmarks screaming at me. Had a previously assigned game pulled and didn't get offers to work in that conference again until the previous assignor retired.

Interesting thing, though -- been asked to give that conference some Friday nights the past few years and I just don't have any openings. Not being spiteful -- I just moved on and found other places to work (which, in football, isn't that hard to do considering 90% of the games are played at 7PM Fridays).

Most good officials I know have a place or two where they aren't welcome. Happens. Life goes on.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 01:46pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Only in the tournament. The rest of the season, it would have to be done by the respective individual conferences.
Maybe...or the NCAA could say that they won't take officials into the tournament who don't enforce bench decorum and sportsmanship POE's.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 01:58pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Maybe...or the NCAA could say that they won't take officials into the tournament who don't enforce bench decorum and sportsmanship POE's.

Most officials would choose working their conference schedules, with multiple games and better money over working a game or two in the NCAA tournament. The amount of money made in the regular season more than makes up for the prestige of working a tournament game.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 02:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

The repeat of the "Outside the Lines" program is on right now.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

So Coach, what would you have us do?

I've seen so many interviews like these. I've never heard a reporter ask the question, "So Coach, you ran halfway across the court screaming at the top of your lungs, spit flying everywhere, and berated the official. What do you think that official should have done differently, besides change the call of course?"

And even the less hysterical, like the coaches' box. "So coach, you're not a dog. Which other rules shouldn't apply to you? What should the official do when you break the rules? Be honest, now."

Wouldn't have been great if someone had asked them, "So let me get this straight. You completely lost your sh*t on national TV, and the problem is cell phone cameras and facebook?"
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 02:40pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter555 View Post
And even the less hysterical, like the coaches' box. "So coach, you're not a dog. Which other rules shouldn't apply to you? What should the official do when you break the rules? Be honest, now."

"So coach, why did your colleagues put a coaching box in the rule book?"
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 02:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
They could, but as johnny notes, do you really think many would choose the tournament over a solid regular season?

I don't necessarily think the choice is that stark, but it's not far. They need to get conference buy-in, which is going to be hard as long as krewshewoooski and company run the assylum.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 03:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
They could, but as johnny notes, do you really think many would choose the tournament over a solid regular season?
Yes I do. And think of it this way, if a certain conference will not hire you, then there are other conferences that will gladly take a guy that has been in the tournament for years. The key really is what the top dogs would do. Those are the ones that have a lot to lose and can set the standard. And I think more college officials call Technical fouls than high school officials at the varsity level do. Just look at some to the stats and you see a lot of Ts with certain officials on their games.

Quote:
I don't necessarily think the choice is that stark, but it's not far. They need to get conference buy-in, which is going to be hard as long as krewshewoooski and company run the assylum.
The thing is no one if firing Teddy V for what he did a few weeks ago with the Cincinnati coach. They might do something to a guy working one game in that league. But this is an issue for the Commissioner of a conference, not the supervisor of officials. The Supervisor of Officials is going to follow what they are told ultimately.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 03:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
....But this is an issue for the Commissioner of a conference, not the supervisor of officials. The Supervisor of Officials is going to follow what they are told ultimately.

Peace
This is key. If the Conference Commissioner lets it be known to the ADs and HCs in his conference that the Supervisor of Officials has his/her full backing, then coaches will not be running the asylum. This is probably easier to do in a Mid-Major where the HCs are still trying to move up, as opposed to the BCS type conferences where the some coaches names are synonomous with the schools' programs.
Old Tue Mar 18, 2014, 12:46am
AremRed

As I noted in the Teddy V-Mick Cronin thread, big-name coaches are under the delusion that if they get a technical it is only because: they wanted one, or, the official made a mistake. There is no room in their mind for getting a technical as punishment for their behavior.