The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   block/charge/no call? (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97496-block-charge-no-call-video.html)

Adam Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:47pm

I've got the shooter jumping into a new path after the defender gained LGP. The defender leans backwards, but into that new path, after the shooter goes airborne. Block, if anything. The defender can lean or move backwards, but he must be in the path before the shooter goes airborne. He doesn't meet that standard here.
With no impact on the shot, or the shooter's safety (I'm not convinced there was any contact at all), I think a no-call is the best call here.

AremRed Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 926914)
This play MUST have a whistle.

Why MUST it have a whistle? Do you know what a no-call is??

bob jenkins Thu Mar 13, 2014 02:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 926914)
NCAA-M - block
NFHS - charge.

IMHO, the reason the Lead didn't blow his whistle was because he didn't know what to call. The only official that should have blown his whistle - the Lead - was probably surprised by the play.

This play MUST have a whistle.

if there's something to call, why can't C have it? (Again, it depends on the mechanics)

MD Longhorn Thu Mar 13, 2014 02:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by #olderthanilook (Post 926902)
Looks like a 50/50. But, there must be a whistle on that at the h.s. varsity level.

I truly hate this phrase. BIG contact is not always a foul... the implication that something is too big to not draw a whistle at a particular level is irksome.

rpirtle Thu Mar 13, 2014 03:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by #olderthanilook (Post 926902)
Looks like a 50/50. But, there must be a whistle on that at the h.s. varsity level.

If the only player on the ground is the flopper...then in TX a no call would be an acceptable option...if it was felt the contact was minimal.

#olderthanilook Thu Mar 13, 2014 04:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpirtle (Post 926944)
If the only player on the ground is the flopper...then in TX a no call would be an acceptable option...if it was felt the contact was minimal.

I don't consider that a flop.

#olderthanilook Thu Mar 13, 2014 04:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 926910)
Why? Defense is responsible for the contact, the shooter is not in any way affected. No-call seems appropriate.

Why must there be a whistle? :eek:

Adam Thu Mar 13, 2014 04:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by #olderthanilook (Post 926947)
Why must there be a whistle? :eek:

I didn't say there should be. ;)

Camron Rust Sat Mar 15, 2014 03:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 926873)
A block if anything. But it's possible there was minimal contact as A1 did not seem to be effected.

Based on were these videos are coming from, and chance we'll see Camron, rookiedude, or rockyroad in any of these clips?

As rockyroad said, I hope not...at least not in the context of getting something wrong.

Multiple Sports Tue Mar 18, 2014 02:40pm

C'mon man !!!!!

Jeremy,

If your schedule is anything like the videos you post.....you will being doing freshman and jv games for a long time !!!!

Step up your game and post better videos or contact JMF !!!!!!

jeremy341a Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 927613)
Jeremy,

If your schedule is anything like the videos you post.....you will being doing freshman and jv games for a long time !!!!

Step up your game and post better videos or contact JMF !!!!!!

I didn't know my schedule was dependent on the quality of videos I posted. Why didn't someone tell me this! ;) I'm going to find me the clearest one I can right now! :D

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:33pm

If the L had gone Ball Side earlier he would been in the perfect position to call a charge in both NFHS and NCAA Men's & Women's rules provided there was contact. And since I believe in: CHARGE!! CHARGE!! I would have had a PC.

MTD, Sr.