The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Mount St. Marys/Robert Morris -- Technical Foul Reversed (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97485-mount-st-marys-robert-morris-technical-foul-reversed.html)

VTOfficial Tue Mar 11, 2014 07:34pm

Mount St. Marys/Robert Morris -- Technical Foul Reversed

At the 8:35 mark in the 2nd half, a MSM player steals the ball and dunks it on the fast break. The Lead official calls a technical foul for hanging on the rim. The game went to commercial and when it resumed, the T-foul had been reversed and was not charged.

I didn't know you could 'take back' a T once it has been called? Is this in the rule book? Am I missing something?

If someone would like to post the video for discussion, you can.

mutantducky Tue Mar 11, 2014 08:04pm

I've seen it done a couple of times in NCAA and once in the NBA. But that was so the star player wouldn't get kicked out, ha. It was a preseason game.
Has anyone reversed one in a High School game?

deecee Tue Mar 11, 2014 08:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTOfficial (Post 926675)
At the 8:35 mark in the 2nd half, a MSM player steals the ball and dunks it on the fast break. The Lead official calls a technical foul for hanging on the rim. The game went to commercial and when it resumed, the T-foul had been reversed and was not charged.

I didn't know you could 'take back' a T once it has been called? Is this in the rule book? Am I missing something?

If someone would like to post the video for discussion, you can.

Sure you can. If you partner has a different POV than you he/she can share it and you can then decide what you want to do. Was the T in error and called to quick, which it may have been here. No calls are necessarily absolute until they are reported, but 99.99% what is called on the spot is what is going in the book.

bob jenkins Tue Mar 11, 2014 09:08pm

Another official must have had additional information. If it was just judgment, then it shuldn't have been reversed.

VTOfficial Tue Mar 11, 2014 09:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 926679)
Another official must have had additional information. If it was just judgment, then it shuldn't have been reversed.

You are correct. During the commercial break the officials huddled and additional information was provided.

Thanks for the feedback.

Raymond Tue Mar 11, 2014 09:50pm

I reversed my own T once. I called a Bench T, but the HC said it was a fan sitting behind the bench. I asked his stay guy (who kept their book during home games), and claimed the same. Since I actually didn't see who made the comment, I decided to rescind the T.

yooperbballref Tue Mar 11, 2014 09:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 926677)
I've seen it done a couple of times in NCAA and once in the NBA. But that was so the star player wouldn't get kicked out, ha. It was a preseason game.

When I was in high school, we had a T given to a player for hitting the backboard when going for a block. After stopping play another official came in and told him the player had a legitimate shot at blocking the ball and the T was taken away (Overall they got the call correct).
I don't remember what happened after that, but I would guess they went with the possession arrow for who got the ball.

Nevadaref Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 926685)
I reversed my own T once. I called a Bench T, but the HC said it was a fan sitting behind the bench. I asked his stay guy (who kept their book during home games), and claimed the same. Since I actually didn't see who made the comment, I decided to rescind the T.

Why would you attempt to penalize a comment when you aren't certain who said it in the first place? Were you a novice official at the time?

Raymond Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:58pm

No, I had just warned that bench and I reacted emotionally.

Camron Rust Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:59pm

I've reversed a T before.

Partner has a whistle. I'm off ball. After the foul, A player comes flying into a player I'm covering, looking a lot like a tackle. I hit the whistle for a T.

Something didn't seem right....it was out of nowhere. I check with my partner to see if there was anything about the situation that I couldn't/didn't see. Turns out the player was tripped up as part of the live ball foul and just couldn't recover his balance. While the contact was substantial, I decided that it wasn't worthy of a T since it was inadvertent.

The funny thing about the whole deal is that his coach, after I explained to both coaches that I was retracting the T, gave me grief about reversing it while the coach that would have benefited from the T merely said thanks for the explanation.

JRutledge Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 926677)

Yes, when you get more information.

Peace

AremRed Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:25pm

If this is becoming a share-your-story thread I might as well throw mine in.

I had been to a friends Varsity game where the two head coaches decided to show him up by stepping out of the coaches box and talking negatively about something he said during the coaches meeting. He was opposite the table at the time (second quarter). He told me later he would have absolutely whacked them, but it took him by surprise and by the time he realized what they were doing, it was over.

So of course I have the same situation in the first quarter of my Freshman game a month later. This time both coaches were out of the box talking to each other about my partners (admittedly questionable) call from a few plays earlier. I heard them as I was headed to the table to report. So I whack both of them and they sit. A few minutes later I am table side in front of one of the benches and after the coach asks me a question I ask him "do you know why I called a tech?" (fyi I should not have asked him), and he replied "yeah".

After halftime we are watching warm-ups across the table. My partner (the R) heads to the table and I know he is gonna talk to the coaches. Sure enough he wades right in to the two coaches who are standing there chatting. I don't want to be left out so I walk over there. We end up talking for a minute and I realized that what they were saying to each other wasn't as negative about my partner as I thought. I decide to rescind the techs. When I go to the table and tell the scorer I was rescinding them she said "you can't do that." LOL!

just another ref Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 926694)
So of course I have the same situation in the first quarter of my Freshman game a month later. This time both coaches were out of the box talking to each other about my partners (admittedly questionable) call from a few plays earlier. I heard them as I was headed to the table to report. So I whack both of them and they sit. A few minutes later I am table side in front of one of the benches and after the coach asks me a question I ask him "do you know why I called a tech?" (fyi I should not have asked him), and he replied "yeah".

After halftime we are watching warm-ups across the table. My partner (the R) heads to the table and I know he is gonna talk to the coaches. Sure enough he wades right in to the two coaches who are standing there chatting. I don't want to be left out so I walk over there. We end up talking for a minute and I realized that what they were saying to each other wasn't as negative about my partner as I thought. I decide to rescind the techs. When I go to the table and tell the scorer I was rescinding them she said "you can't do that." LOL!

I agree with her.

AremRed Wed Mar 12, 2014 01:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 926699)
I agree with her.

LOL!

/pretend these lowercase letters aren't here

just another ref Wed Mar 12, 2014 01:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 926702)

/pretend these lowercase letters aren't here

Never played this game before.........it's very difficult.