The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAA Tournament and Precision Timing (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97471-ncaa-tournament-precision-timing.html)

tmagan Sat Mar 08, 2014 09:52pm

NCAA Tournament and Precision Timing

I ask this question every year at this time:

Will the 2014 NCAA men's basketball tournament have 'Precision Timing'?

Raymond Sat Mar 08, 2014 09:58pm

no

tjones1 Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:49pm

I wouldn't bet on it.

I really don't understand it but it's a money issue.

tmagan Sat Mar 22, 2014 09:35pm

So let me understand, Precision Timing is not needed, but every time the whistle blows late in the Oregon/Wisconsin game, the Stand By official has to summon the scorers table hurriedly to sound the horn to get the officials attention to put more time back on the clock. All in all, well done NCAA.

JugglingReferee Sat Mar 22, 2014 09:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmagan (Post 928285)
So let me understand, Precision Timing is not needed, but every time the whistle blows late in the Oregon/Wisconsin game, the Stand By official has to summon the scorers table hurriedly to sound the horn to get the officials attention to put more time back on the clock. All in all, well done NCAA.

I too thought the end of that game could have been handled better.

AremRed Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 926336)
it's a money issue.

Do you have a source for that information? I heard that last year and again this year but have yet to hear this from a verifiable source.

AremRed Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 928289)
I too thought the end of that game could have been handled better.

Yeah with that and the held-ball call. I also realized that I am not a fan of Ed Corbett or his mechanics.

Rich Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 928297)
Yeah with that and the held-ball call. I also realized that I am not a fan of Ed Corbett or his mechanics.

Is he the one who makes the goofy exaggerated point to the designated spot?

(Regardless - even as a Badger fan, the technical was well-earned.)

AremRed Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 928299)
Is he the one who makes the goofy exaggerated point to the designated spot?

And quadruple tweeting at a player to give him the ball after a called foul and granting timeouts from across the court when the coach was asking the tableside official who was like 3 feet away.

Edit: and dual finger pointing to the sky on a held-ball call.

SNIPERBBB Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 928300)
And quadruple tweeting at a player to give him the ball after a called foul and granting timeouts from across the court when the coach was asking the tableside official who was like 3 feet away.

Edit: and dual finger pointing to the sky on a held-ball call.

Starting to see that appear here from certain high school local associations around here.

Rich Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 928344)
Starting to see that appear here from certain high school local associations around here.

One of the mechanics our crew had adopted is that when a ball is tied up, the crew blow whistles but do not signal until we verify that none of us have a foul, have granted a timeout, etc. Then and only then do we give the two thumbs up.

BillyMac Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:10pm

The Egg Came First, I'm Positive ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 928362)
One of the mechanics our crew had adopted is that when a ball is tied up, the crew blow whistles but do not signal until we verify that none of us have a foul, have granted a timeout, etc. Then and only then do we give the two thumbs up.

This originally sounded really good to me. But, what happens if the held ball occurs before the foul (not intentional, nor flagrant) and each official sees something differently? Do you ignore the possibility that the held ball came before the foul (one foul signal trumps held ball), or do you discuss the situation with your partner before deciding on a call?

JugglingReferee Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 926336)
I wouldn't bet on it.

I really don't understand it but it's a money issue.

How much money is it really?

Rich Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 928366)
This originally sounded really good to me. But, what happens if the held ball occurs before the foul (not intentional, nor flagrant) and each official sees something differently? Do you ignore the possibility that the held ball came before the foul (one foul signal trumps held ball), or do you discuss the situation with your partner before deciding on a call?

It's either tied up cleanly, or it isn't. Normally an official is going to come in hard with a foul or a travel that precedes the held ball. That covers 95% of the situations. If a held ball causes a travel, then the crew member that sees that is going to have to initiate a conversation.

BillyMac Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:33pm

I Still Say That The Egg Came First, Just Ask My Chickens ...

Regarding a foul, or a travel, that is subsequent to the held ball:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 928369)
If a held ball causes a travel, then the crew member that sees that is going to have to initiate a conversation.

Cool.