The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   PC, Block or No-Call (video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97431-pc-block-no-call-video.html)

JetMetFan Mon Mar 03, 2014 04:12pm

PC, Block or No-Call (video)

Thoughts...?

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8C7WSBtsNVU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

just another ref Mon Mar 03, 2014 04:14pm

Pc

JRutledge Mon Mar 03, 2014 04:16pm

Looks like a flop. I think I have a block considering the flop ended up tripping the player.

Peace

JetMetFan Mon Mar 03, 2014 04:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 925446)
Looks like a flop. I think I have a block considering the flop ended up tripping the player.

Peace

My thoughts as well. I also think the C could've picked up the block - or at least been more comfortable calling it - if he'd been at the FTLE as opposed to above the top of the key. Regardless, I don't think this was a play on.

OKREF Mon Mar 03, 2014 04:22pm

PC, if I have a call.defense emblished some.

Bad Zebra Mon Mar 03, 2014 04:25pm

Block...defenders legs were real wide...he looks like he flopped...then tripped the shooter.

Pantherdreams Mon Mar 03, 2014 04:26pm

Not to start a storm here but in order:

1) I've got a PC. Player was in proper guarding position and offense intitated the contact. This has been something I've been looking at in therms of my officaiting and in games I can get ape of. IME, If we don't get these and call them charges you end up with the majority of 50/50 calls turn into 80/20 calls. Where defense gets called for the block at least 1/2 the time or more when trying to draw and charge and then no called to the point where only the most extreme pc's get called and they only get a charge go 10-20% of the time.

2) Even if you don't think the contact is enough to have caused him to go down and want to no call it, IMO, that is not flopping. I equate the term flopping with faking being fouled, he isn't faking contact that doesn't exist and as the defender is allowed to move backwards and absorb contact/protect themselves. If he doesn't want to stand there until you make the kid collapse his chest that's not faking being fouled.

bainsey Mon Mar 03, 2014 04:28pm

The Oscars were last night. #24 black wasn't nominated.

just another ref Mon Mar 03, 2014 04:28pm

I don't think there's any question that the defender exaggerated, but I think there was significant contact which was definitely initiated by the shooter.

just another ref Mon Mar 03, 2014 04:29pm

Too many still believe this:

It can't be a charge because nobody fell down.

deecee Mon Mar 03, 2014 04:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 925460)
Block...defenders legs were real wide...he looks like he flopped...then tripped the shooter.

Who cares? The contact happened on the torso.

Camron Rust Mon Mar 03, 2014 04:48pm

Defense had LGP. Offense created contact. BUT, that contact was not enough to send the defender down like that. The defender took himself out of the play by flopping. Therefore, it can't be a PC.

A Pennsylvania Coach Mon Mar 03, 2014 04:51pm

From the angle of this replay, easiest block call of the day. With a terrible angle, somebody might take the bait and call PC. Only 100% wrong call is a no call.

Camron Rust Mon Mar 03, 2014 04:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantherdreams (Post 925462)
IMO, that is not flopping. I equate the term flopping with faking being fouled, he isn't faking contact that doesn't exist and as the defender is allowed to move backwards and absorb contact/protect themselves. If he doesn't want to stand there until you make the kid collapse his chest that's not faking being fouled.

Flopping isn't only faking contact, it is also faking the amount of contact in an attempt to make the contact look worse than it was.....which is what this defender did.

just another ref Mon Mar 03, 2014 04:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 925486)
Flopping isn't only faking contact, it is also faking the amount of contact in an attempt to make the contact look worse than it was.....which is what this defender did.

True, but there's no rule against this. It may be counterproductive, but it's not illegal.