The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 01:51pm
Back from the DL

Getting too choosy?

Last week, I got a text that travel league was looking for officials for some 7/8 games, held yesterday. My season finished a few weeks ago, and I had an itch, so I scratched and took three afternoon games. The pay wasn't that good ($25/game), but it was enough to warrant getting on the court and putting the funds toward my upcoming dues.

Game admin couldn't be better, coaches were quiet, kids were dropping one- liners ("I'm getting too old for this"), and even slapping hands with the opposing free-throw shooter. (That's a first. Pretty cool.)

The thing I overlooked when I scratched is I would be the only official on our board. The rest were some-timers and exclusively middle school guys. My partner was okay (said he left the board years ago, for work reasons), but did some annoying things, like overruled one of my OOB calls, and ruled a shooting foul on a clear block, with incidental contact afterward. (I was the L; he was on the division line.) Such things could warrant a low rating from our board.

I'm far from stellar, but I used to think I should take just about anything to improve. Now, I'm starting to think I should only work with people I know, or are on the board (who typically give a damn). Am I wasting my time with taking these games, or am I getting too choosy?
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 01:53pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Am I wasting my time with taking these games, or am I getting too choosy?
Only you can answer this but it sounds like you enjoyed yourself so I'd say that's probably a no.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 02:23pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Nobody should be faulted if they (1) want to work or (2) don't want to work.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Sometimes you can learn just as much by seeing what not to do.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 02:45pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
overruled one of my OOB calls
Gonna need some more information here.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Last week, I got a text that travel league was looking for officials for some 7/8 games, held yesterday. My season finished a few weeks ago, and I had an itch, so I scratched and took three afternoon games. The pay wasn't that good ($25/game), but it was enough to warrant getting on the court and putting the funds toward my upcoming dues.

Game admin couldn't be better, coaches were quiet, kids were dropping one- liners ("I'm getting too old for this"), and even slapping hands with the opposing free-throw shooter. (That's a first. Pretty cool.)

The thing I overlooked when I scratched is I would be the only official on our board. The rest were some-timers and exclusively middle school guys. My partner was okay (said he left the board years ago, for work reasons), but did some annoying things, like overruled one of my OOB calls, and ruled a shooting foul on a clear block, with incidental contact afterward. (I was the L; he was on the division line.) Such things could warrant a low rating from our board.

I'm far from stellar, but I used to think I should take just about anything to improve. Now, I'm starting to think I should only work with people I know, or are on the board (who typically give a damn). Am I wasting my time with taking these games, or am I getting too choosy?
Bainsey

I have been dealing with this myself lately. I enjoy the money to pay for many things for the family and wife (she hasnt worked in 21 years). Sometimes having bad partners makes me regret wreck games. I work hard with my assignors and get my friends to go with me. Sometimes when it doesnt work out one night with someone new doesnt kill me and makes me appreciate friends. I work hard and not getting bad habits. In the end I enjoy it even if my game slides a little and its the price I pay. I would keep doing it and if you have a rough night take some time off to recharge your batteries.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 04:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

If you leave your house and dread what you are about to embark, then you need to change something so that you do not have that feeling. Sometimes turning down games does just that fact.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 05:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Approved ...

I only work with guys who have an IAABO patch. Some of them don't go to all the meetings, take exams, etc., but they all have an up to date patch.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 05:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I only work with guys who have an IAABO patch. Some of them don't go to all the meetings, take exams, etc., but they all have an up to date patch.
You'd pass up the chance to work with a lot of us here because we don't wear a specific patch?
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 05:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No Ifs, Ands, Or Buts About It ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
You'd pass up the chance to work with a lot of us here because we don't wear a specific patch?
Connecticut is 100% IAABO. The only basketball officials that belong to any type of organization are IAABO officials. There are a few unorganized, independent guys with "Foot Locker" jerseys, officiating in sneakers, but these guys only work some travel games, and lower, no interscholastic games at all. If you want to work real basketball games in Connecticut, you have to belong to IAABO. Thirty-three years, thousands of games, and I've never worked a game with a partner who was not IAABO.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

In working stuff like this, make certain that you have insurance coverage!
If you can't determine if you partners will all have coverage, then you are probably better off staying away from the event.
You will know that people in your registered association have insurance, but outside of that you would have to do some checking. Don't put yourself in a bad spot.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 09:47pm
Courageous When Prudent

No such thing as being too choosy, we're independent contractors.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2014, 12:14am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
In working stuff like this, make certain that you have insurance coverage!
If you can't determine if you partners will all have coverage, then you are probably better off staying away from the event.
You will know that people in your registered association have insurance, but outside of that you would have to do some checking. Don't put yourself in a bad spot.
Good point, Silver. Like BillyMac's state, Maine is 100% IAABO (five boards statewide) for high school basketball, and most middle schools. There's one small band in this area that works seven or eight middle schools.

IAABO has a rule that you can wear your IAABO-patched shirt in any game if your partner is IAABO. If he's not, no patch. This goes back to insurance reasons, of course.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2014, 02:52am
AremRed

Quote:
7/8 games
I hope that means 7th and 8th grade not 7 or 8 games.

Quote:
The pay wasn't that good ($25/game)
What is good pay in your area? Are these games an hour, or longer?
Old Tue Mar 04, 2014, 07:13am
Esteemed Forum Member

We Don't Need No Stinkin' Anti Trust Laws ...

Quote:
There's one small band in this area that works seven or eight middle schools.
Break up the band. Crush them. Blow them into oblivion. Under-price them. Over market yourself. Ruin their reputations with lies. Invite them to join your board, and then don't assign them any games, or only assign them middle school, and freshman games. Don't teach them the secret handshake. That's what we did about ten years ago. Now we're a monopoly. It's good to be the king.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Mar 04, 2014 at 07:38am.