The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Foul on the Front End (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97403-foul-front-end.html)

frezer11 Sat Mar 01, 2014 03:11pm

Foul on the Front End

Before my varsity games last night, a situation happened in the JV game that I have never considered before. Team A fouls Team B on a hand check, which is the 7th of the 1st half. B1 goes to the line for a 1-and-1. Ball hits the front of the rim, backboard, and falls, so about a 1 second delay between when the free throw restrictions end, and when the ball actually goes through the hoop. During this time, A1 fouls B2 while grappling for rebounding position. So now we have an 8th foul which should result in a bonus, but also have the 2nd shot of the original 1-and-1 to shoot! I've never seen that, and I guess I don't really have much of a question here, just a rare situation. The only question I wasn't sure about is should you clear the lanes for the 2nd free throw from B1? Just seems odd to shoot a free throw with no rebounding opportunity, then switch shooters and do it again with players on the lane.

JetMetFan Sat Mar 01, 2014 03:34pm

It's odd but that's how it should be handled. This is a false multiple (edit) foul situation so each foul carries it's own penalty.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Mar 01, 2014 03:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 925133)
It's odd but that's how it should be handled. This is a false double foul situation so each foul carries it's own penalty.

This is a False Multiple Foul: Both fouls were by members of Team A.

MTD, Sr.

JetMetFan Sat Mar 01, 2014 05:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 925135)

MTD, Sr.

My mistake. I was typing a little too fast on the first entry. I changed it.

Camron Rust Sat Mar 01, 2014 05:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 925147)
My mistake. I was typing a little too fast on the first entry. I changed it.

I didn't help that the OP used A for the defensive team when A is traditionally the offensive team.

BillyMac Sat Mar 01, 2014 06:06pm

Johnny Yuma Was A Rebel, He Roamed Through The West (Johnny Cash) …

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 925150)
I didn't help that the OP used A for the defensive team when A is traditionally the offensive team.

JetMetFan is a nonconformist, a rebel, just like me. In fact, next time I post a situation, I'll have Team C as the offensive team, and Team D as the defensive team. Team A, and Team B, are getting boring. Same old. Same old. Yawn.

frezer11 Sat Mar 01, 2014 06:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 925135)

MTD, Sr.

And I didn't mention this in the OP, but after the 2nd foul was called, the coach earned himself a T. (A false multiple x 3!) So what actually happened is there were 5 straight free throws shot by 3 different shooters, all with the lane cleared. The T actually made the administration of the foul shots a heck of a lot easier.

deecee Sun Mar 02, 2014 01:34am

It's not a false multiple times anything in your case after the T. It's just a T as the final call and as we do we administer all punishments in order so the T goes last.

Camron Rust Sun Mar 02, 2014 03:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 925185)
It's not a false multiple times anything in your case after the T. It's just a T as the final call and as we do we administer all punishments in order so the T goes last.

Are you saying the T isn't part of the false multiple? If so, it actually is. Any set of fouls that occur with the same time on the clock make up a false something, either multiple or double. And all false multiple/double fouls, whether 2 or 10 have their penalties administered in the order of occurrence.

AremRed Sun Mar 02, 2014 03:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 925190)
Are you saying the T isn't part of the false multiple?

No, he's saying the whole thing is called a false multiple foul. Not 3 false multiples.

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 925154)
(A false multiple x 3!)

Camron Rust Sun Mar 02, 2014 03:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 925193)
No, he's saying the whole thing is called a false multiple foul. Not 3 false multiples.

That was one of the possibilities I had considered when I phrased my response as a question rather than a statement.

deecee Sun Mar 02, 2014 09:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 925193)

This one.:)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Mar 02, 2014 03:47pm

The whole mess is a FMF, but it is actually two FMF strung to together.

MTD, Sr.

Rich Sun Mar 02, 2014 04:34pm

I'll remember all this the next time I take the NFHS rules test, but until then IDGA(insert letter here). :D

Camron Rust Sun Mar 02, 2014 05:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich (Post 925257)
i'll remember all this the next time i take the nfhs rules test, but until then idga(insert letter here). :d

x?