The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 12:24am
We don't rent pigs
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,627
Jim Boeheim

Miles Simon is complimenting Jim Boeheim on one of the late night show for admitting that he "went too far."
__________________
I swear, Gus, you'd argue with a possum.
It'd be easier than arguing with you, Woodrow.


Lonesome Dove
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 07:29am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Miles Simon is complimenting Jim Boeheim on one of the late night show for admitting that he "went too far."
The same Miles Simon who stated on a postgame show that the call was clearly a block because the defender was moving!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 10:43am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The same Miles Simon who stated on a postgame show that the call was clearly a block because the defender was moving!
Reading the comments on ESPN and other places just shows how many fans (1) have no clue what the rules are and (2) think they are just as qualified as people who actually officiating to determine what is and what isn't a bad call.

Look, I will concede that it's a legitimate conversation on whether the call was correct or not -- to me it's probably as close to a 50/50 call as you're going to see. So for anyone to say that it's clearly a block and how could Greene be so terrible is ALSO a sign of cluelessness.

Has it always been this bad?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 12:03pm
Show up, keep up, shut up
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,579
Couple interesting polls on ESPN.com:

What should have been the call at the end of Syracuse-Duke?

57% block
28% charge
15% no-call


Which best reflects how you feel about Jim Boeheim's outburst at the end of the Syracuse-Duke game?

23% Over the line; coaches shouldn't act like that
33% Over the line; the game was still in the balance
44% OK with it
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 12:10pm
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Couple interesting polls on ESPN.com:

What should have been the call at the end of Syracuse-Duke?

57% block
28% charge
15% no-call


Which best reflects how you feel about Jim Boeheim's outburst at the end of the Syracuse-Duke game?

23% Over the line; coaches shouldn't act like that
33% Over the line; the game was still in the balance
44% OK with it
I don't find it the least bit interesting -- I find it very sad that:

15% support a no-call. That's the only truly wrong decision that could've been made there.

44% are OK with Boeheim's outburst. Really? Entertained by it? Sure. OK with it?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 12:12pm
Archaic Power Monger
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Which best reflects how you feel about Jim Boeheim's outburst at the end of the Syracuse-Duke game?


44% OK with it
Wow.
__________________
Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 102
Commentator is reasonable regarding officials?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Reading the comments on ESPN and other places just shows how many fans (1) have no clue what the rules are and (2) think they are just as qualified as people who actually officiating to determine what is and what isn't a bad call.
I wish I could remember which talking head said this because it was probably the most reasonable thing I've ever heard one of them saying regarding officiating. He said something along the lines of: I've watched it over and over and I believe it was a block and the wrong call, but I think anyone who says it was a bad call sounds extremley unintelligent, or something along those lines.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountTheBasket View Post
I wish I could remember which talking head said this because it was probably the most reasonable thing I've ever heard one of them saying regarding officiating. He said something along the lines of: I've watched it over and over and I believe it was a block and the wrong call, but I think anyone who says it was a bad call sounds extremley unintelligent, or something along those lines.
I heard that comment as well...but cannot remember who said it (which probably means they need to work on being memorable). I also heard someone say that they have watched it several times from different angles and different speeds and can't decide what the correct call should be. Then they added "But these guys only get one look at full speed and may not have the best angle so how can you say it was a bad call?"
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: A little east of there.
Posts: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
I heard that comment as well...but cannot remember who said it (which probably means they need to work on being memorable). I also heard someone say that they have watched it several times from different angles and different speeds and can't decide what the correct call should be. Then they added "But these guys only get one look at full speed and may not have the best angle so how can you say it was a bad call?"
It's amazing how people want to focus on one or two "mistakes" by officials instead of myriad of mistakes by coaches and players during the game that actually got the team to that critical part of the game.

You know, stuff like missed layups, ill advised/low percentage FGAs, wasted time outs, poor substitution patterns, etc.

But hey, blaming officials is easier than accepting personal responsibility.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 01:50pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 30,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
It's amazing how people want to focus on one or two "mistakes" by officials instead of myriad of mistakes by coaches and players during the game that actually got the team to that critical part of the game.

You know, stuff like missed layups, ill advised/low percentage FGAs, wasted time outs, poor substitution patterns, etc.

But hey, blaming officials is easier than accepting personal responsibility.
That is the society we live in. It is easy to blame "authority" or others that are not "you" than look inside and say why your actions did not accomplish something. And this is another reason this whole idea that we can "stay in the background" or be "invisible" is rather stupid. No one has talked about really anything in this game but what happened at the end of this game. And that play in the minds of many has trumped everything else. So we really need to stop setting this goal that we can "hide" and that is a good thing. This play was even talked about after Syracuse's last game. Hiding is not an option anymore. Not in this day and age.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: A little east of there.
Posts: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
That is the society we live in. It is easy to blame "authority" or others that are not "you" than look inside and say why your actions did not accomplish something. And this is another reason this whole idea that we can "stay in the background" or be "invisible" is rather stupid. No one has talked about really anything in this game but what happened at the end of this game. And that play in the minds of many has trumped everything else. So we really need to stop setting this goal that we can "hide" and that is a good thing. This play was even talked about after Syracuse's last game. Hiding is not an option anymore. Not in this day and age.

Peace
I agree with your overall sentiment here, Rut. However, I also think it's pretty cool when we get that rare game where it's almost as if were, in fact, "invisible" that night on court. Wholly because the game had incredibly great flow and all of our whistles fit the game situations and were made because the crew was hustling and therefore in great position to see through plays.

So, in that way, I'm ok with being "invisible".
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 01:56pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 30,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
I agree with your overall sentiment here, Rut. However, I also think it's pretty cool when we get that rare game where it's almost as if were, in fact, "invisible" that night on court. Wholly because the game had incredibly great flow and all of our whistles fit the game situations and were made because the crew was hustling and therefore in great position to see through plays.

So, in that way, I'm ok with being "invisible".
We are mostly invisible when the players put the ball in the hole. When they don't we have more opportunities to call things and become the focus. The point is we do not control this element of what people will perceive from us.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: A little east of there.
Posts: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
We are mostly invisible when the players put the ball in the hole. When they don't we have more opportunities to call things and become the focus. The point is we do not control this element of what people will perceive from us.

Peace
I'm not nearly as old as I look , so I have many memories of watching Boeheim coach through the last few decades.....is it just me, or has he become especially more prickly, condescending - even bordering on being irreverent at times in front of the media and in games?

Not that it matters a thing to me. Just an observation.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Greensboro,NC
Posts: 61
It's not whether you win or lose but where you lay the blame!
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Twin Cities MN
Posts: 8,154
From his earlier comments, it seems Jim Boeheim came into this game feeling superior to any of those rednecks in the ACC and resentful at being forced into the conference by the Syracuse administration and the ACC's raids that destroyed the former Big East.

I wonder if that had him in such a state that the charge call just caused the dam to burst. His reaction of charging the court over a disputed call was certainly out of character with his history.

Well, get used to it Jim. You're coaching an ACC school, like it or not.
__________________
Tom
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1