The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Unusual situation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97367-unusual-situation.html)

bob jenkins Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 924608)
Why can he not do this?

Because if you have 5 eligible players, you have to have 5 on the court.

Adam Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 924608)
Why can he not do this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 924611)

what bob said.

If he wants to have a consultation with her, that's fine, she can even sit down, but she has to stay on the court.

MD Longhorn Tue Feb 25, 2014 01:03pm

I blame Gene Hackman for people not knowing this.

jeremy341a Tue Feb 25, 2014 01:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 924611)

I know but wasn't there a post on here that the consensus was if the coach says they are not eligible then we are to believe them.

bob jenkins Tue Feb 25, 2014 02:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 924629)
I know but wasn't there a post on here that the consensus was if the coach says they are not eligible then we are to believe them.

Now you're adding elements that weren't in the OP.

jeremy341a Tue Feb 25, 2014 02:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 924635)
Now you're adding elements that weren't in the OP.

Not trying to be tricky. If this were to happen, what should I do? Do I mention to the coach he has to play with 5 or?

lewpert Tue Feb 25, 2014 02:47pm

Nice reference to Gene Hackman, one of those movie inaccuracies that mess with people that are purist. Bottom line, if you have five available (i.e. not injured) then you must play with five.

bob jenkins Tue Feb 25, 2014 03:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 924637)
Not trying to be tricky. If this were to happen, what should I do? Do I mention to the coach he has to play with 5 or?

That's what I would do.

Adam Tue Feb 25, 2014 03:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 924637)

"Coach, if you have five eligible players, you have to have five on the court."

BillyMac Tue Feb 25, 2014 04:59pm

Don't Have To Play A Tick ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewpert (Post 924643)
Bottom line, if you have five available (i.e. not injured) then you must play with five.

One of the few exceptions to the "sit a tick" rule. Similar exception for untucked jersey. Right? How about blood on a uniform?

Nevadaref Tue Feb 25, 2014 05:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 924670)
One of the few exceptions to the "sit a tick" rule. Similar exception for untucked jersey. Right? How about blood on a uniform?

No, it's not. Such team members are considered not currently eligible. Why? Because there is a rule stating such.
The NFHS issued play rulings for years in that manner (see the one in the past interlace archive involving an asthma attack). Unfortunately, MTD Sr didn't like this and, after a long discussion on this forum, he wrote a Case Play to the NFHS about four years ago involving a player injuring an ankle and the silly NFHS rules editor published it.

j51969 Tue Feb 25, 2014 05:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 924629)

If he wasn't eligible why did he put them in the book?

Nevadaref Tue Feb 25, 2014 05:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by j51969 (Post 924678)

The situation we've discussed before involved a coach stating that the player was temporarily injured and needed some time to recover.

BillyMac Tue Feb 25, 2014 05:38pm

Sit A Tick ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 924674)
No, it's not. Such team members are considered not currently eligible.

I could have sworn that getting down to five players was one of the few exceptions to the "sit a tick" rule. Are you sure about this Nevadaref?

If my memory serves me, and it usually doesn't, the play involved a free throw. Team A has six eligible players. Before B1 shoots the first of a one and one, A6 substitutes for A1. B1 makes the first free throw, but while attempting to get a rebound, A2 is injured and can no longer participate. A1, who hasn't "sat a tick" (the clock never started) reports to replace the injured A2. I could have sworn that the substitution for the injured player was allowed because "playing with five trumps sitting a tick".

I would appreciate further discussion on this, hopefully with some closure.

BillyMac Tue Feb 25, 2014 05:41pm

Same Old, Same Old ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by j51969 (Post 924678)

Back when was coaching middle school, all fourteen of my players were written in the book for every game, in numerical order, even if they weren't playing (injured), or weren't in the gymnasium (illness). Over twenty-five years of coaching, and we never got a technical foul for a player not being in the book, or for a player with a wrong number. Never. Ever.