The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

For what it's worth, the UIL assigns crews/chapters to regional games. The chapter this crew is from is not from a large metro area and in fact is likely from a very small area. That's just how things work here. This crew is not in the chapter that assigns games for either of these teams in the regular season.
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Looks like the losing school got an explanation and visit from the state body:

http://highschoolsportsblog.dallasne...nclick_check=1

Quote:
“One of the UIL officials had talked to the head official of the game, and he said he did blow his whistle and raise his hand for a foul call,” Davis said. “He didn’t see the time or hear the buzzer go off. He looked over at his co-official, who then waved his arms to indicate the game was over. That’s when they said ‘Let’s go’ and took off.
So I put my fist in the air and blow my whistle for a foul and don't ever hear the horn go off, and fully intend on going to the table to report the foul, but a partner just waves the shot off and decides the game is over?

1. Why did the guy who called the foul not stop everyone and discuss it?

2. Why did the guy who waved everything off not ask what the calling official had before they ran off?

I am far from perfect, but I can't imagine ending a game like that.
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 03:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

This is just wrong:

Quote:
“The UIL said the referees should have stopped at the scorer’s table to check with them. That’s something that should have been done. And that’s where they didn’t handle it correctly. And the part about knowing that there was a whistle blown to call a foul does say a lot.”
I'm not saying this was done correctly, but if a game is over, it's over. I'm not stopping at the table to check with the scorers.
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
For what it's worth, the UIL assigns crews/chapters to regional games. The chapter this crew is from is not from a large metro area and in fact is likely from a very small area. That's just how things work here. This crew is not in the chapter that assigns games for either of these teams in the regular season.
I don't live right there anymore, but when I did, the Dallas chapter handled Celina - which is just north of Little Elm (where I lived). (And the Fort Worth Chapter butted right up against it on the West)... is this no longer the case? Has some small chapter from north of Dallas eaten away part of the Dallas or Fort Worth chapters' areas?

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I don't live right there anymore, but when I did, the Dallas chapter handled Celina - which is just north of Little Elm (where I lived). (And the Fort Worth Chapter butted right up against it on the West)... is this no longer the case? Has some small chapter from north of Dallas eaten away part of the Dallas or Fort Worth chapters' areas?
The Dallas chapter has become much smaller - the North Texas chapter handles Celina and Argyle and just about everything north of the George Bush freeway up to the Oklahoma border. North Texas has become a powerhouse chapter in the state, for good reason. A few years ago, North Texas had 50-80 members - now they have over 400.
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The Dallas chapter has become much smaller - the North Texas chapter handles Celina and Argyle and just about everything north of the George Bush freeway up to the Oklahoma border. North Texas has become a powerhouse chapter in the state, for good reason. A few years ago, North Texas had 50-80 members - now they have over 400.
Wow. Things change fast. I would have had to join them if I'd stayed. ALL of my work was north of GBT.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Looks like the losing school got an explanation and visit from the state body:

http://highschoolsportsblog.dallasne...nclick_check=1

So I put my fist in the air and blow my whistle for a foul and don't ever hear the horn go off, and fully intend on going to the table to report the foul, but a partner just waves the shot off and decides the game is over?

1. Why did the guy who called the foul not stop everyone and discuss it?

2. Why did the guy who waved everything off not ask what the calling official had before they ran off?

I am far from perfect, but I can't imagine ending a game like that.
Again, the importance of communication. I think your first question is the most important. Don't hide your light under a bushel in that situation. Tell your partners "Guys, I had a foul before the horn" and if you're 150% sure you go with that to the grave. If you're not the R and (s)he decides not to go with what you had at least you tried.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wow. Things change fast. I would have had to join them if I'd stayed. ALL of my work was north of GBT.
You would have switched regardless - it's such a better chapter.
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Each school or district chooses which chapter they want to use during the season. Playoffs are awarded to chapters by the uil based on test scores and other factors. Most of the time you are sent to a region your chapter normally does not work (but sometimes if both coaches ask for a certain chapter they might get it). The better raked your chapter the more games you get. Crews from every chapter are assigned to the state tournament for at least one game.

The crew in this game were from the Temple chapter (for the non-Texans that's near Waco about 75 miles north of Austin & 150 miles south of DFW). This is not a small town but it is also not a large metro area. There are very few of our larger schools in this area but plenty of schools the size of this game so experience was not an issue.

Last edited by Rich1; Thu Feb 27, 2014 at 10:56pm.
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
This is not a small town but it is also not a large metro area. There are very few of our larger schools in this area but plenty of schools the size of this game so experience was not an issue.
With all due respect, having the same size schools is insignificant. Celina has been a state tourney regular - not sure about Argyle, but clearly they are very good. I'm pretty certain this crew hasn't seen a girl's game like this all season - maybe ever.
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Each school or district chooses which chapter they want to use during the season. Playoffs are awarded to chapters by the uil based on test scores and other factors. Most of the time you are sent to a region your chapter normally does not work (but sometimes if both coaches ask for a certain chapter they might get it). The better raked your chapter the more games you get. Crews from every chapter are assigned to the state tournament for at least one game.

The crew in this game were from the Temple chapter (for the non-Texans that's near Waco about 75 miles north of Austin & 150 miles south of DFW). This is not a small town but it is also not a large metro area. There are very few of our larger schools in this area but plenty of schools the size of this game so experience was not an issue.
I thought Smitty just told us it was the NTex chapter ... and why in the world would the Temple chapter work north of Dallas?

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I thought Smitty just told us it was the NTex chapter ... and why in the world would the Temple chapter work north of Dallas?
I said that North Texas handles Celina and Argyle during the season. But Rich is right - the crew that was assigned this regional game was from Temple. The UIL assigns crews to regional games.
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I said that North Texas handles Celina and Argyle during the season. But Rich is right - the crew that was assigned this regional game was from Temple. The UIL assigns crews to regional games.
Got it.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

So does the UIL assigns the chapter for each post season game and then someone within the chapter assigns the officials, or does the UIL assign the officials?
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 10:33am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
With all due respect, having the same size schools is insignificant. Celina has been a state tourney regular - not sure about Argyle, but clearly they are very good. I'm pretty certain this crew hasn't seen a girl's game like this all season - maybe ever.
Should this matter? Do these guys work boys games?

I don't mean to turn this into a boys vs. girls thing, but top-level girls games remind me more of decent boys basketball. It's the girls ball at the bottom of the talent spectrum that's a whole different animal.