The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
It's blurry... but isn't L raising his hand with 3 fingers, indicating a 3 point shot? My sound's not good here so I can't hear exactly when (or even if) a whistle is sounded... but what if they are simply ruling a 3 point shot badly missed here?
I think you are right.

I think the Lead may have had the whistle (last part of the video (about the 50 second part of the clip posted by JMetFan) shows that official with arm still raised). The C was indicating a 3-pt attempt and dropped his hand immediatly when it was clear the ball wasn't going in.

Clearly something was missed here. My best guess is that Lead saw the foul, blew the whistle, incorrectly judged the foul to have occured after the horn, and chose to ignore the foul because it was after the horn and not intentional/flagrant (of course this doesn't matter because it was in the act of shooting -- but that would explain what appears to happen). Obviously none of the officials thought to get together and figure this out before heading off.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 01:18pm
Administrator

Not withstanding the lack of post game communication with the coaches, could the Timer have failed to start the clock and because the T should have had a backcourt count could the game ended before the clock actually stopped. There is not good view of the clock during the throw-in so I just trying to give an alternate ending. Still not a good way for the officials to have a game end.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's blurry... but isn't L raising his hand with 3 fingers, indicating a 3 point shot? My sound's not good here so I can't hear exactly when (or even if) a whistle is sounded... but what if they are simply ruling a 3 point shot badly missed here?
There's definitely a whistle blown before the lights on the backboard go off, I don't think it was C's whistle tho, I think he's signaling the 3 pt attempt. Based on JMF's video I think the lead had a foul and there was no doubt still time left when he blew his whistle.
The most concerning to me is that their little get together is so short (and with just 2 of the 3) and then they leave with absolutely no explanation to anyone. Very strange to me.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

If there's a learning here - it might be to stop with the sprinting off the court habit a lot of us have when there might be something to discuss. I do it too - but I think them bailing without sharing with each other what happened is as much at fault as anything here.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Are we even sure the C is the one who blows the whistle?? The look on his face and the way he drops his whistle makes me wonder...in the end-line view, you can see the L with his arm up also, and then he walks in and waves the shot off also. Maybe the L blew the whistle???
That was my thought. We can't see the T at all in any of the videos until the 3 of them are walking off the court. The C looks like he dropped his had in response to someone else's whistle. Could be the L's or the T's. Maybe the T called a travel and they decided the "lag" in the clock was no correctable.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

So I'll modify my earlier observation...

*If the L was calling a travel, fine. Come out with the signal, put time back on the clock if someone has definite knowledge and give Black the ball for a throw-in.

Regardless, the guy who blew the whistle - and it appears more and more it was the T - needed to look up at the clock right at that moment. One of the endline views shows 0.9-0.8 on the clock when the whistle sounded. Too much time to rule "it was too close to the expiration of time to stop the clock." When you're in that spot you have to know you need to look at the clock the moment you put air in your whistle.

Quote:
If there's a learning here - it might be to stop with the sprinting off the court habit a lot of us have when there might be something to discuss. I do it too - but I think them bailing without sharing with each other what happened is as much at fault as anything here.
This is a problem as well. Where are they rushing to? On the sideline view we don't even see the T until the C & L reach the opposite 3-point arc. This scenario was unique because only one team was going to be upset with whatever call was made. If it was a foul the Black team wasn't going to complain because all of those kids knew their teammate contacted the shooter. As I said earlier the White HC deserved an explanation - or at least more than a cursory "let's go" type of get together - especially with the gap between the whistle and the horn. If they explain, there's an answer. No explanation means there's video and as we've all learned...

Tape don't lie.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 09:54pm
#thereferee99

Statement

http://highschoolsportsblog.dallasne...nclick_check=1
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Can you say Cluster F'd. I mean what were the guys thinking? It was all so bizarre. Whistle blown, weird preliminary, then buzzer, then backboard light, then basket waived off, then they sprint off the court. All the while the T seems to barely have left the endline.

I *hope* I never make it to one of these types of videos.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 11:13pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
That's a non-statement.

And the "30-year official" who said something but was too cowardly to say his name should be ashamed of himself.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2014, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

The "explanation" just makes it worse. As is always the case the cover-up is worse than the crime. The video points to the crew FUBAR-ing the situation. Admit it, tell everyone why it happened and move on. The losing HC is quoted as saying she knows the outcome isn't going to change. Let her know why things went the way they did and the situation goes away that much faster.

Meantime if I'm the assignor that crew is probably done for the postseason and I most likely don't send them to either of those schools next season just to put some distance between the situation.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2014, 02:32am
In Time Out

do you'se(my cousin Vinny) people sometime use players reactions to call fouls. I know that isn't common but I have on occasion. Or out of bounds plays. Ok obviously not most of the time as if you did it would get out of control especailly with some players who are going to be emotive every single time they think their is a missed call.
From the video, I can see why each ref missed the foul based on their angle. But based on the reactions of the players, especially the defensive team, they should have realized something was amiss and figured things out before leaving the court. The fans must have been bewildered.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2014, 06:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
From the video, I can see why each ref missed the foul based on their angle.
The problem is we can't even say they missed the foul. There may have been a whistle for a travel. There may have been a whistle for something else. The problem is no one knows other than the three of them and their supervisor.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2014, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

As JMF stated, I think the L called a travel and then waived it off when the horn/lights went off. The C was marking a 3pt shot and appeared to look at the L when there was a whistle heard.

Edit to add: Looking back at the original link it appears there is a new video that clearly shows the L quickly raising his arm and then lowering it.

Last edited by SAJ; Tue Feb 25, 2014 at 10:45am.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2014, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Just from this ending I would be curious as to the overall officiating of the game up to that point. This isn't what I would expect from varsity level officials.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2014, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

It seems that everyone (the coach, players, fans, sports fans, other officials) simply wants to know WHAT was the judgment call or ruling by the officials.

I'm a bit surprised it doesn't look like that will be answered.

I guess no one will ever know??? Pretty bizarre in this day and age, right?