The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   VCU-UMASS - Block/Charge (Video x2) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97340-vcu-umass-block-charge-video-x2.html)

VTOfficial Fri Feb 21, 2014 09:00pm

VCU-UMASS - Block/Charge (Video x2)

Whenever someone has the opportunity, could you please post the video of the block/charge call at 3:13 of the 2nd half?

Thanks.

Raymond Fri Feb 21, 2014 09:16pm

additional video request--0:19.9 of 2nd half

I was going to ask for this same play.

Also, the crew kicks a rule big time at 0:19.9 of 2nd half, luckily it doesn't affect outcome: UMass throw-in, back pass, UMass player hold VCU player, officials award VCU 2 shot.

HawkeyeCubP Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 924088)
Also, the crew kicks a rule big time at 0:19.9 of 2nd half, luckily it doesn't affect outcome: UMass throw-in, back pass, UMass player hold VCU player, officials award VCU 2 shot.

Saw that. Holy wow. In a 3-point game, no less. Goo.

JetMetFan Sat Feb 22, 2014 02:23am

video added

Here are the plays...

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTOfficial (Post 924087)
Whenever someone has the opportunity, could you please post the video of the block/charge call at 3:13 of the 2nd half?

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_0UPbQM7Exk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 924088)

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Nk0dIFqftE0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

AremRed Sat Feb 22, 2014 04:32am

Play 1: PC

Play 2: No comment

Camron Rust Sat Feb 22, 2014 05:41am

#1. Block. Defender tried to get in A1's path but was not able to do so with 2 feet down to get LGP before contact.

JetMetFan Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:40am

On #1 I have a PC. B1 attained LGP as A1 was crossing the division line and I didn't see anything to indicate he lost LGP after that. The forearm didn't help A1's cause.

On #2...that falls into the category of a "lose a game check" offense. As I mentioned in another thread, supervisors can deal with it if we kick calls but messing up a rule is another story.

rockyroad Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:53am

On play 2, did the other officials try to talk calling official out of shooting the free throws? Or did all 3 of them screw his up? Didn't see the game, and the clip doesn't show much...I just don't get how all three just forgot something that basic.

justacoach Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 924146)
On #1 I have a PC. B1 attained LGP as A1 was crossing the division line and I didn't see anything to indicate he lost LGP after that. The forearm didn't help A1's cause.

On #2...that falls into the category of a "lose a game check" offense. As I mentioned in another thread, supervisors can deal with it if we kick calls but messing up a rule is another story.

110% concur on both accounts.

1-Scratched my head for a long time about the 'Defender tried to get in A1's path but was not able to do so with 2 feet down to get LGP before contact.' part of Camron's post. Never thought the rules had a requirement for establishing, much less maintaining LGP coincident with the illegal contact.
I always train new officials that there is a video and not a snapshot that needs to be evaluated for block vs charge plays.

2-How in heII can 4 D-1 officials botch such an obvious call?

Raymond Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 924148)
On play 2, did the other officials try to talk calling official out of shooting the free throws? Or did all 3 of them screw his up? Didn't see the game, and the clip doesn't show much...I just don't get how all three just forgot something that basic.

I was waiting for them to come together, but they never did.

JetMetFan Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 924148)

If they got together it would've taken place off camera in the period before the first FT.

I'm also surprised - a little, not much - that UMass's bench didn't realize the situation. Not that all HCs know the rules but it's generally part of the job description on the NCAA level.

Adam Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 924149)

1-Scratched my head for a long time about the 'Defender tried to get in A1's path but was not able to do so with 2 feet down to get LGP before contact.' part of Camron's post. Never thought the rules had a requirement for establishing, much less maintaining LGP coincident with the illegal contact.
I always train new officials that there is a video and not a snapshot that needs to be evaluated for block vs charge plays.

2-How in heII can 4 D-1 officials botch such an obvious call?

Some seem to define "path" far more narrowly than others.

Camron Rust Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 924149)

Whatever forearm there was (and it was not one that I'd even call on its own) was after the block was done so it doesn't matter.

The defender had LGP when the offense was near half court but lost it IMO when A1 diverted to the side and B1 rotated to be able to move more quickly to get back into A1's path (seen about 24 and 28 seconds into the video). He tried to get back in front of A1, He does, but never gets the 2nd foot back down before contact to reestablish LGP.

deecee Sat Feb 22, 2014 01:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 924157)
Whatever forearm there was (and it was not one that I'd even call on its own) was after the block was done so it doesn't matter.

The defender had LGP when the offense was near half court but lost it IMO when A1 diverted to the side and B1 rotated to be able to move more quickly to get back into A1's path (seen about 24 and 28 seconds into the video). He tried to get back in front of A1, He does, but never gets the 2nd foot back down before contact to reestablish LGP.

I don't agree. He never lost LGP and the defender is allowed to move is he not? the offensive player never beat him or caused him to lose LGP either. Contact is on the offensive player. CHARRRRRGGGEEE!!!!

But for NCAA-M this year. The block is totally acceptable.

johnny d Sat Feb 22, 2014 01:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 924158)

But for NCAA-M this year. The block is totally acceptable.

I don't like beating dead horses, but the rule change on the NCAA-M side has nothing to do with this play.