The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Intentional or Common, 2 plays (video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97328-intentional-common-2-plays-video.html)

JetMetFan Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:57am

Intentional or Common, 2 plays (video)

You make the calls....

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BD9dlxyPWPQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

walt Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:12am

I've got intentional for excessive contact on both. While the second one doesn't seem as excessive, cataloging plays, I am good with IF there.

jTheUmp Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:13am

Play #1: Just a common foul from the angle of the video. L has a better angle on what the defender does with his right hand/arm though, so he must've had something to rule intentional.

Play #2: looks like a common foul to me also (defender is making a play on the ball with his right arm); however, given that the first one was ruled intentional it's not a surprise to me that this was also deemed intentional.

Indianaref Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:14am

I'm good with IF on both plays. Both plays had excessive contact even though they may have been playing the ball.

JRutledge Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:17am

I have regular shooting fouls on both.

The first one the player got caught up in the air and the shooter waiting for the defender to land in him. I really do not see anything extra to stop the player from shooting. Maybe if anything is is just trying to to fall hard on him.

The second play looks routine attempt to block the shot (bad attempt) but not any more contact than expected. The only reason to call this if you feel there is more going on in this game. I did not get the impression that was the case here.

Peace

twocentsworth Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:21am

Intentional
Common (now, based on what may have happened earlier in the game and/or time/score...I would be inclined to go with an Intentional - "good game management" might require intentional. Based on this isolated play only - I'd say common foul.)

Welpe Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:22am

I like an INT for excessive contact on both of these plays.

In the first, he comes down across his head and neck with his arm.

The second is a body bump and arm down across the neck/shoulders area. Just too much contact with too little attempt to play the ball IMO.

Rich Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:30am

Unless the defender in the first video did something extra with the right hand, I have common fouls on both.

I couldn't imagine calling an INT for a player only getting caught in the air and landing on the shooter. What goes up must come down.

JetMetFan Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:31am

To add a little more information there was nothing that seemed out of the ordinary that took place during this game (i.e., no technicals or any type of rough play). Number one was in the third quarter, number two was in the 4th.

Welpe Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 923734)

I couldn't imagine calling an INT for a player only getting caught in the air and landing on the shooter. What goes up must come down.

Landing on him isn't the issue IMO, it's the swiping down of his arm and hitting the shooter in the head and neck with force.

Welpe Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 923736)
To add a little more information there was nothing that seemed out of the ordinary that took place during this game (i.e., no technicals or any type of rough play). Number one was in the third quarter, number two was in the 4th.

I am curious how you got these since this game was is in California. :)

JetMetFan Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 923738)
I am curious how you got these since this game was is in California. :)

My spies are everywhere!!!

The_Rookie's association posts some of its games on YouTube (DVBOA).

Welpe Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:39am

Ah ok, that explains it and the two whistle mechanics.

CountTheBasket Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 923734)
Unless the defender in the first video did something extra with the right hand, I have common fouls on both.

I agree with that 100%, but it looks like he may wrap up the shooter and pull him to the floor to stop him from getting the shot off. Like it was stated above the L probably saw more than we could from his angle.

2nd foul looks common to me, as others have stated unless it needed to go INT because of something earlier in the game.

#olderthanilook Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:56am

I wouldn't classify either foul as "intentional". They both probably looked worse in real time than they do on replay, though.