The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Intentional or Common, 2 plays (video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97328-intentional-common-2-plays-video.html)

JRutledge Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CountTheBasket (Post 923744)
I agree with that 100%, but it looks like he may wrap up the shooter and pull him to the floor to stop him from getting the shot off. Like it was stated above the L probably saw more than we could from his angle.

2nd foul looks common to me, as others have stated unless it needed to go INT because of something earlier in the game.

Of course he put his arms out, he is falling. And I do not feel that is what brought the shooter on the floor. The defender made a bad decision to jump up and the shooter was waiting for him to come down and tries to cause the contact or help the contact. I see this play often and would almost never consider it intentional.

Peace

Camron Rust Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CountTheBasket (Post 923744)
I agree with that 100%, but it looks like he may wrap up the shooter and pull him to the floor to stop him from getting the shot off. Like it was stated above the L probably saw more than we could from his angle.

2nd foul looks common to me, as others have stated unless it needed to go INT because of something earlier in the game.

Yep...I have an INT on the first for that very reason.

I have a common on the 2nd.

bob jenkins Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:15pm

Common on both for me.

I do think that both need to be ruled the same in that game.

AremRed Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:26pm

Play 1: Intentional

Play 2: Common foul

rockyroad Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 923737)
Landing on him isn't the issue IMO, it's the swiping down of his arm and hitting the shooter in the head and neck with force.

Agree.

It's the fact that his right arm wraps up the head/neck area of the shooter as he is coming down that makes it INT, imho.

Second one looks pretty common, but as others have said, I can see it going INT based on the earlier call.

HokiePaul Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 923719)
Play #1: Just a common foul from the angle of the video. L has a better angle on what the defender does with his right hand/arm though, so he must've had something to rule intentional.

Play #2: looks like a common foul to me also (defender is making a play on the ball with his right arm); however, given that the first one was ruled intentional it's not a surprise to me that this was also deemed intentional.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 923723)
I have regular shooting fouls on both.

The first one the player got caught up in the air and the shooter waiting for the defender to land in him. I really do not see anything extra to stop the player from shooting. Maybe if anything is is just trying to to fall hard on him.

The second play looks routine attempt to block the shot (bad attempt) but not any more contact than expected. The only reason to call this if you feel there is more going on in this game. I did not get the impression that was the case here.

Peace

Agree ... I would have common fouls in both unless there was something else going on in the game. I liked the officials getting together in play #1 and decided to upgrade more than the immediate call in play #2. The trail would have been in a good position to provide info on the defenders attempt to play the ball.

Raymond Thu Feb 20, 2014 01:07pm

Play 1: the contact of the right arm to A1's head makes it an IF for me

Play 2: under normal circumstances that would be a normal 2-shot PF. But other events in the game (including play 1) may influence this call.

zm1283 Thu Feb 20, 2014 01:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 923751)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 923772)
Play 1: the contact of the right arm to A1's head makes it an IF for me

Play 2: under normal circumstances that would be a normal 2-shot PF. But other events in the game (including play 1) may influence this call.

I'm with you guys. I see a lot of kids jump like in Play 1 and land on the shooter. The part where he dragged him to the floor was intentional and excessive contact IMO.

Play 2 would be a common foul for me by itself. Considering the first foul, I can see why they went intentional.

Adam Thu Feb 20, 2014 01:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 923767)
Agree.

It's the fact that his right arm wraps up the head/neck area of the shooter as he is coming down that makes it INT, imho.

Second one looks pretty common, but as others have said, I can see it going INT based on the earlier call.

Count me in this camp. #2 is a bit excessive, but by itself it's a quick chat with the defender.

Nevadaref Fri Feb 21, 2014 05:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 923751)

I agree with these responses.
On the first play it seems that the defender got into a tough spot and became afraid that he was going to fall hard so he grabbed the offensive player in whatever manner he could to prevent his own hard landing. That grabbing turned out to be around the head and neck, which dragged down the offensive player.
The fact is that this was excessive contact caused by the defender. It doesn't matter that he may have been trying to prevent his own awkward fall. Too bad. He is the one who decided to jump and put himself in that spot.

The second play is just a regular foul while trying to block a shot, even though the defender is fouling from behind. Going intentional here seems to be an overreaction.

MD Longhorn Fri Feb 21, 2014 05:55pm

Common on 1; Int on 2.

Raymond Fri Feb 21, 2014 09:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 924072)
Common on 1; Int on 2.

You're a funny dude.

HawkeyeCubP Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:35pm

1. Intentional.
2. Common.