The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Louisville vs. Cincinnati (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97155-louisville-vs-cincinnati-video.html)

AremRed Fri Jan 31, 2014 05:47am

Louisville vs. Cincinnati (Video)

I saw a couple interesting plays in this game.

Some of you can browse to the plays here: ESPN3 -- Louisville vs. Cincinnati

1st half:
17:59 possible PC
12:45 transition call
9:43 throw-in violation and interesting crew mechanics
2:24 10 second situation

2nd half
15:06 PC and resulting tech (they run a replay during a dead ball at 14:06)
12:45 transition contact
12:28 PC
12:00 continuation
10:44 block or foul?
00:54 OOB violation

JetMetFan Fri Jan 31, 2014 07:21am

Ten separate plays? :eek: For those who don't have ESPN3...sorry, I have a game this afternoon.

APG, the video floor is yours...

JS 20 Fri Jan 31, 2014 09:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 920699)

1st half:

2nd half
12:00 continuation10:44 block or foul?

If the continuation play at 12:00 is the one Doris Burke was questioning, she was 100% wrong, and the official was 100% correct. The shooter had begun the process prior to contact.

I hope one of these plays you noted was the player control foul called on Russ Smith in the front court by the slot who was on the opposite side of the floor.

APG Fri Jan 31, 2014 09:44am

The continuation play was such an easy (and correct call) from the official and shows the problem of why people shouldn't use "on the floor" in their verbiage.

AremRed Fri Jan 31, 2014 01:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 920700)
Ten separate plays? :eek: For those who don't have ESPN3...sorry, I have a game this afternoon.

APG, the video floor is yours...

This isn't a video request thread. I wouldn't do that to you or APG. That game was a pressure cooker and those plays seemed interesting. Perhaps if you or APG decide that one or two of the plays could be a good teaching moment you could post those. No pressure.

MathReferee Fri Jan 31, 2014 04:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 920699)

1st half:

2nd half
12:00 continuation
10:44 block or foul?

First Half
#1 - Looks PC, but also can see why a no call. No real extension of the off hand and he stopped right at the point of contact.
#2 - No call to me.
#3 - Have never seen this before and had UC not blocked the shot and gotten a quick layup, it might have been a bad situation. Goes to show how important communication into and out of a timeout, even at that level.
#4 - No 10 second violation. The ball was touched by the Louisville player right before the 10 second in the front court and then deflected OOB in the backcourt.

Second Half
#5 - Similar to #1, but more of an extension of off hand, so no problem with call. The aftermath is interesting. It was never clear who the T was on and what for, so have no real comment on that. The crew talked to the Louisville player that grabbed the ball out of the UC player's hands and also talked to the UC player and seemed to have calmed a volatile situation. Somebody must have said an automatic. I like how the crew handled it and talked down the UC coach in this situation. EDIT: T was on #2 and he obviously said something he should not have said. I see where coaches think players get "baited" but in that situation a conversation with him was necessary and the player must have said something automatic.
#6 - Looks like a hold on the Lousville player first before the push off, hard to tell though. I defer. EDIT: Replay at 12:28 shows it better as they went to monitor for possible elbow, but I missed the replay and was tired of rewinding.
#7 - I am really not sure here at all. No real camera angle as it really doesn't look like much, but C is the only one that had anything and I sure hope it was there since it was a stretch for him to get.
#8 - Count it.
#9 - Looked okay live. End line replay looks like he might have got hit first before the block.
#10 - Looks like his left foot had established inbounds and right foot was in the air, so no call would have been correct.

UC's coach probably should have been given a technical at some point for the number of times the crew had to calm him down. But given the intensity of both coaches and the game in general and only looking at some of the hottest moments of the game, that opinion may be skewed.

APG Fri Jan 31, 2014 06:43pm

Five of those plays are all you're getting out of me. :D JMF can get the rest if he so chooses.

Throw-In Violation:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/3Skor3H_O00" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Close 10 Second call:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/nlzJwrJ8RME" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Charge, Technical foul at 15:06
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/4jv2OzCtOF8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Charge from opposite C at 12:28:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/AQxo8w8za_w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Act of shooting:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/mYu87lf14XI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

johnny d Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:59am

What happened before the throw in violation? The video doesn't show the administering official telling the player he can run or that it is a spot throw in. Shot clock says 35 seconds, so the previous play must not have been a made basket.

johnny d Sat Feb 01, 2014 01:07am

There is no way the C can being doing anything other than guessing on the player control foul. He has multiple players between him and the play. It doesn't matter if he is right or wrong, he is fishing for minnows in another officials pond.

AremRed Sat Feb 01, 2014 01:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 920840)
What happened before the throw in violation? The video doesn't show the administering official telling the player he can run or that it is a spot throw in. Shot clock says 35 seconds, so the previous play must not have been a made basket.

Correct. The ball went OOB at that spot. Then a timeout happened. That is what happened when play resumed. I am guessing the administering official did not remind the player of the spot throw.

JRutledge Sat Feb 01, 2014 01:16am

I agreed with every video other than the PC foul called by the C. I think that play was a play on.

Peace

just another ref Sat Feb 01, 2014 01:50am

On the last play the basket shouldn't count because of the travel.

Rich Sat Feb 01, 2014 01:55am

I was wondering how long until someone said the "T" word.

Camron Rust Sat Feb 01, 2014 03:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 920848)
I was wondering how long until someone said the "T" word.

Technical foul? ;)

Camron Rust Sat Feb 01, 2014 03:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 920843)
I agreed with every video other than the PC foul called by the C. I think that play was a play on.

Peace

Generally, I agree. However, on the C calling the PC, I can't see enough from the one angle available to judge one way or the other.