The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 01, 2014, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Play and Opinion

Team A shoots the ball, ball goes off the rim and carroms about 10-15 feet away from the basket. by the time the ball is off the rim, and 0 chance for a rebound or any players below or near the rim A1 jumps and snaps the rim.

What's your call?
Old Sat Feb 01, 2014, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Team A shoots the ball, ball goes off the rim and carroms about 10-15 feet away from the basket. by the time the ball is off the rim, and 0 chance for a rebound or any players below or near the rim A1 jumps and snaps the rim.

What's your call?
Is it emphatic?

So far it sounds like a HTBT
Old Sat Feb 01, 2014, 09:56am
beware big brother

Double Dribble.
Old Sat Feb 01, 2014, 10:16am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

What's your call?
Traveling. There, I got it out of the way.

I'd have to see it -- I could see calling a technical foul, I could see calling nothing.
Old Sat Feb 01, 2014, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Traveling. There, I got it out of the way.

I'd have to see it -- I could see calling a technical foul, I could see calling nothing.
Me too. I called the T. The coach and player said he did that to protect himself but there wasn't anyone under the basket and usually in a dunk to protect yourself you would hang on the rim until congestion below clears. Plus since the ball was no where near only exacerbated the whole scenario.
Old Sat Feb 01, 2014, 11:18am
Esteemed Forum Member

Misty Water Color Memories ...

Quote:
... there wasn't anyone under the basket.
That was a part of the rule about twenty-five years ago. No longer. Now it's just to protect himself, even if nobody is under him.

"A player shall not: Grasp either basket at any time during the game except to prevent injury."
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Feb 01, 2014, 11:47am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
That was a part of the rule about twenty-five years ago. No longer. Now it's just to protect himself, even if nobody is under him.

"A player shall not: Grasp either basket at any time during the game except to prevent injury."
Maybe it's not part of the rule text, but it's certainly a factor in deciding if he's truly protecting himself.
Old Sat Feb 01, 2014, 12:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No Chin Ups ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Maybe it's not part of the rule text, but it's certainly a factor in deciding if he's truly protecting himself.
If the kid's off balance, and needs to "get himself set" before landing, I don't care if there's somebody under him, or not.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Feb 01, 2014, 12:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
If the kid's off balance, and needs to "get himself set" before landing, I don't care if there's somebody under him, or not.
I'll give him that on a dunk, but not on a rebound attempt. If he's that uncoordinated, he shouldn't be jumping that high.
Old Sat Feb 01, 2014, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

10-3-3 "A player shall not: . . . Grasp either basket at any time during the game except to prevent injury, . . ."

As I recall, the older wording included ". . .(to prevent injury) . . . to himself or another player." In the OP, neither possibility seems imminent. But, it's a HTBT, for sure.
Old Sat Feb 01, 2014, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
10-3-3 "A player shall not: . . . Grasp either basket at any time during the game except to prevent injury, . . ."

As I recall, the older wording included ". . .(to prevent injury) . . . to himself or another player." In the OP, neither possibility seems imminent. But, it's a HTBT, for sure.
It was neither. He jumped towards the rim, and could have landed just fine. I will add, after halftime as I was about to inbound the ball to his team, he was the inbounder. He apologized and said he is just very afraid of injuring himself. If he didn't grab the rim he would have landed just fine as there was no one near the area under the basket. If I thought for a minute this was to prevent an actual injury I would have, but usually dunkers dont just grasp the ring and let go. They will at least hang there for a second or two.
Old Sat Feb 01, 2014, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

From the OP I am getting that the ball was already 10-15 feet away when A1 jumps. That sounds like grabbing the rim out of frustration. Maybe HTBT, but I think player earned the T before we ever reach the question of whether he could safely come down.
Old Sat Feb 01, 2014, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RulesGeek View Post
From the OP I am getting that the ball was already 10-15 feet away when A1 jumps. That sounds like grabbing the rim out of frustration. Maybe HTBT, but I think player earned the T before we ever reach the question of whether he could safely come down.
I agree.