Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 02:49pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Possibly the first Don Quixote reference on this forum. Nice
I believe one of our esteemed moderators has an avatar for that.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 02:49pm
Stubborn Member

I guess I'm wrong. The guy in the video that made the "bad" call could very well have been me. It bothers me that I don't see things like everybody else here, as many of you are well-respected, but I'm not going to lie just to fit in.

With more experience perhaps I'll see this play, and others like it, differently.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 02:56pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I guess I'm wrong. The guy in the video that made the "bad" call could very well have been me. It bothers me that I don't see things like everybody else here, as many of you are well-respected, but I'm not going to lie just to fit in.

With more experience perhaps I'll see this play, and others like it, differently.
Everyone gets calls wrong on the court, even the big dawgs. But I can pretty much gaurantee you that when Higgins watches the video of this game, he will mark himself down for this play.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
From the video angle, I agree. This seems like it should be the easiest PC call of the day.
Agreed
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 03:11pm
Stubborn Member

Ugh!

I was just about to step into the shower to get ready for a JV boys game, when it dawned on me what I was getting wrong in my interpretation.

The sideways movement by the defender didn't directly cause the contact. Sure, his sideways movement caused him to be closer to the dribbler than when he initially gained LGP, but getting closer to the dribbler is not grounds for being penalized. Causing contact is grounds for being penalized. The defender didn't do that.

The dribbler still has to avoid contact after the sideways movement... and he didn't. Thus a PC foul.

Sorry to cause you all headaches.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Possibly the first Don Quixote reference on this forum. Nice
Tilting with windmills. Definitely charging . . . er player control.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
By the way, and this isn't for JRut... let's cut the hyperbole about this and other calls here being the "easiest call in the World" (or something like that). If they were that easy they wouldn't be posted here for discussion in the first place. I actually find comments like that to be insulting.
When I said that, I prefaced it with "From the angle in the video". In real time, I don't think that is necessarily an easy call. I can see plenty of good officials calling a block there. But I think when watching the video, most of those officials would wish they had gone PC.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 03:29pm
AremRed

Does anyone else think that the C could have been late picking up the defender? The drive starts in T's area.....and ends in T's area. Why doesn't T have a whistle??
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 03:30pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
When I said that, I prefaced it with "From the angle in the video". In real time, I don't think that is necessarily an easy call. I can see plenty of good officials calling a block there. But I think when watching the video, most of those officials would wish they had gone PC.
Some of us around here are not as experienced, and therefore do not find these calls (even when slowed down on video) to be so easy. I just ask that you and others avoid making those that have questions feel stupid for not believing things to be as simple.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
An evaluator, sitting in the stands, will often have a view similar to that of the camera. What we see from that view, and then, with the advantage of re-play, slo-mo, stop-frame, our perception can be very different from that of the calling official. Not only this thread, but several current and recent threads demonstrate the inequities involved.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 03:35pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Does anyone else think that the C could have been late picking up the defender? The drive starts in T's area.....and ends in T's area. Why doesn't T have a whistle??
That was my thought - sort of - at first also...looks more like he is late picking up the defender. He seems to be watching the ball handler the entire time, and only sees the defender right before the contact.

And to BryanV21...that's what makes this forum so good. We are all wrong at one time or another on here...even the ones who are the biggest jerks to people who question them or disagree with them. Ignore them...find a handful of posters whose opinions and delivery you can respect and bounce your thoughts off of those people.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 03:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Maybe he trusted the T. Maybe he was processing the situation and the C beat him to it. Who really knows unless you talk to the officials why they did or did not do something. All we are going to do is speculate and that could be totally wrong based on the officials in the video.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Because they go into great detail on what legal guarding is, but say little to nothing in regards to legally trying to avoid a charging call. It's like once a defender has LGP, they can do no wrong, and therefore any contact is the fault of the offense.
You cannot "legally" avoid a charging call. It either is a PC or it isn't. The defender either HAD and maintained LGP or he didn't. The rules states what it takes for all these to apply.

The defender established LGP and maintained it when the contact occurred.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 03:47pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
That crash is right in front of the C, I would take that call also if I were the C.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Tally another vote for PC. I like watching Higgins probably more than any other NCAA official, but he missed this one. It happens.