Thread: That guy
View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 26, 2014, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

That guy

A few times every season I get to work with That Guy. Friday, it was the guy that had no idea how bad of an official he really was. For the first time in 12 seasons I lost my patience with a partner on the court. He said something to me between qtrs about how upset the coaches were and I told him it was because he was never where he was supposed to be. I pointed out exactly where we were positioned on a particular play, where he should have been and why, asked him why he wasn't there and he tried to tell me he WAS there. I told him directly at halftime what he/we needed to do differently but it went in one ear and out the other. When the coaches from both teams are saying "you've gotta help him out", "he's terrible", "we can't have this", and "he's out of position again", and you have a partner that won't even acknowledge he is screwing up, what's the solution? I was trying to call the whole court as he had no idea where to be looking, and even when he had a trainwreck in front of him the whistle usually stayed silent. Oh, he also pointed direction for OOB calls on my line about as quickly as I got the stop clock signal in the air on my whistle. I guess this was the ultimate Get In, Get Done, Get Out game. I'm ready for another game to put this behind me.