The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 22, 2014, 05:37pm

Getting Warmed Up

I'm not sure why but it seems like it takes me ten minutes of game time to get myself comfortable and confident during a game. I still make decent calls but my whistle and voice are a bit weak. After this 10 minute period I'm much stronger with voice and my whistle and I feel much more confident on the court. Any tips on how to come out sharp immediately?
Old Wed Jan 22, 2014, 06:18pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojeremy View Post
I'm not sure why but it seems like it takes me ten minutes of game time to get myself comfortable and confident during a game. I still make decent calls but my whistle and voice are a bit weak. After this 10 minute period I'm much stronger with voice and my whistle and I feel much more confident on the court. Any tips on how to come out sharp immediately?
For the mental part of things, perhaps you and your partners need a better pregame discussion. Talk about plays you had this season, or things you read here. That will get your mind on basketball, and what goes on during a game.

For the physical part, try doing some stretching and calisthenics (jumping jacks, etc) before going out to the court. You should do being that anyway, as you never want to work cold muscles.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2014, 09:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

If concentration is a problem, you are not doing what it takes to get your mind off other things.

Show up earlier to the game site. Have a good pregame with yourself and partner. Read the rulebok or caseplays at the game site or before you get to the game site.

Or even eat better foods to keep you healthy and energized.

If you are having fun, concentration shoud be easier as well. This is a "job" on some level, but you should not treat it as one all the time.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 22, 2014, 09:19pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Dynamic stretching:

Dynamic stretching - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mentally, you need to figure out how to be sharp from the opening tip. Challenge yourself mentally, have a good pregame, etc.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2014, 11:29pm
C'mon man!!

My worst games are when I am rushed. I try to be to the site at least 45 minutes before game time. This gives me time to get changed do some jumping jacks, get warmed up and review my personal goal that I want to work on for the game. I also get ready for my pregame if I am the R. I try to have at least a 15 minute pregame but it is usually difficult to get people there early enough to gt that in. They usually show up 15 min. before we need to be on the floor and then take that time to get ready. If I am late or running a little behind, my whole game can be off and it takes a few unites to get into it.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2014, 11:51pm
AremRed

It's all about routine. Pregame discussion, pregame snack, pregame stretch. Counting players on the court, talking with the coaches, talking with your partners. I do some self-talk to review PCA's and mechanics; go for a little run with 3 minutes left to get my legs working. Pop in the gum with 1 minute left.

Game time.

More self-talk: white is on defense, blue setting screens. Blue 12 set a marginal screen, watch him for next time. White 55 likes to bang in the post. Ball OOB off defense, point left. Ball off offense, point right.

The good news is you usually have a few possessions to get oriented before you have a whistle.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 08:15am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
It's all about routine. Pregame discussion, pregame snack, pregame stretch. Counting players on the court, talking with the coaches, talking with your partners. I do some self-talk to review PCA's and mechanics; go for a little run with 3 minutes left to get my legs working. Pop in the gum with 1 minute left.

Game time.

More self-talk: white is on defense, blue setting screens. Blue 12 set a marginal screen, watch him for next time. White 55 likes to bang in the post. Ball OOB off defense, point left. Ball off offense, point right.

The good news is you usually have a few possessions to get oriented before you have a whistle.
I *expect* there will be a play on the opening tip. I've seen (at least three times in the last year) a long tap and a potential foul at the bucket. Have to be ready.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

I am a really relaxed official. I could probably take a nap five minutes prior to the game. However, I believe you need to be mentally ready to go. I use the 15 minutes on the floor prior to the game to get me prepared. I agree with Rich that you better be ready for issues on the jump ball.

I think some officials struggle early because they are too uptight. If that is the case, work on relaxing prior to the game.

I think officiating is like my golf swing--the more I think about it the worse it gets.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 09:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re View Post
I am a really relaxed official. I could probably take a nap five minutes prior to the game. However, I believe you need to be mentally ready to go. I use the 15 minutes on the floor prior to the game to get me prepared. I agree with Rich that you better be ready for issues on the jump ball.

I think some officials struggle early because they are too uptight. If that is the case, work on relaxing prior to the game.

I think officiating is like my golf swing--the more I think about it the worse it gets.
Agreed. It takes the *teams* a few minutes to settle in. Try to let the game breathe the first few minutes (I'm not saying to pass up on any fouls, but don't go looking to establish anything early with your whistle unless you have to) and things are usually fine.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

I try to get to the site early, and I remind myself that the rest of the day is now gone, turned off. If I have the 1st game of the afternoon, I go through my pre-game info. If there's a game preceeding mine, I watch it just to get the mood of the surroundings.
My pre-game physical warm-up includes some taichi, which is excellent for the stretching and calming/focusing.
I also like to put a pleasant song in the background, in my mind. Some studies have shown that humans often focus better with background music, during mental exercises.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Everyone's said it one way or another, but routine is the key.

For the mental part is starts by arriving in time to unwind from the day, shoot the breeze with the crew, and critique the JV folks. Also talk regarding knowledge of the teams playing (style of play, season success, star players, etc.), experience with coaches involved, and any weird plays encountered during the season. Pre-game while getting changed goes over more about reminders of rule-changes, fight handling, mechanics, etc.

For the physical part I know at 3 minutes before tip/introductions we're doing coaches meeting so I back up to 4:30 to start some dynamic stretching (nothing outrageous - butt-kickers and karaokes mostly) to get physically ready.

Finally, when they're playing the national anthem I take that time to play scenarios in my head I think we might encounter based on the scouting we've done, especially low-post and ball handler/closely guarded situations.

By the time that's all done I'm locked in and ready to go. Hasn't failed me yet so I'm sticking to it.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 01:42pm
Courageous When Prudent

There are no tricks. You need to have a good pre-game, then step on the court ready to officiate. From the very first time you settle into the L/C/T you need to talk to yourself about what you are looking for.