The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Bench personnel (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97088-bench-personnel.html)

SCalScoreKeeper Wed Jan 22, 2014 03:01am

Bench personnel

Everybody-
what's your philosophy on dealing with bench statisticians who get into it with you while you're on the floor? Tonight I had a crew of varsity officials who gave a bench statistician two warnings but did not whack.

Nevadaref Wed Jan 22, 2014 04:08am

Treat them the same as an assistant coach = low tolerance.

bob jenkins Wed Jan 22, 2014 08:34am

I'd give the "statistician" less rope / tolerance than an assistant coach.

j51969 Wed Jan 22, 2014 08:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper (Post 919542)
Everybody-
what's your philosophy on dealing with bench statisticians who get into it with you while you're on the floor? Tonight I had a crew of varsity officials who gave a bench statistician two warnings but did not whack.

Sounds like it was more than a comment. Whack. It would never happen again. If it was only a comment a quick are you kidding me to the HC should sufice. There would be no second warning.

MD Longhorn Wed Jan 22, 2014 09:03am

Quote:

Everybody-

2 warnings? At least 1 too many ... maybe 2 too many.

JRutledge Wed Jan 22, 2014 09:57am

What was the issue? Did they get into with the table people or the officials on the floor?

Sometimes if they get into with the table, that might be something that needs to be addresed directly before it becomes a distraction. If they are yelling at the officials, well not sure what rope they would need because I would already have hung them. ;)

Peace

bob jenkins Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 919554)
2 warnings? At least 1 too many ... maybe 2 too many.

Depends on what they did and when, and maybe the game situation.

SCalScoreKeeper Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:45am

He got into it with the guys on the floor.
-Warning #1 came immediately after a H score when the V statistician for consecutive trips was arguing for an offensive foul in the post.Warning #1 was issued immediately after said score.
-Warning #2 was issued during a timeout in the 2nd quarter immediately after another H score arguing for the previously mentioned offensive foul in the post.
Believe me I would not allow a bench statistician to get into it with us at the table.Besides this team had a scorekeeper at the table with us.

RulesGeek Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:05pm

"immediately after a H score when the V statistician for consecutive trips was arguing for an offensive foul in the post." -- "Coach! Control your bench!" (and he wouldn't have been arguing on consecutive trips, b/c this would have happened the first time he opened his mouth.)

"During a timeout in the 2nd quarter immediately after another H score arguing for the previously mentioned offensive foul in the post." -- WHACK!

bob jenkins Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper (Post 919583)
-Warning #1 came immediately after a H score when the V statistician for consecutive trips was arguing for an offensive foul in the post.Warning #1 was issued immediately after said score.
-Warning #2 was issued during a timeout in the 2nd quarter immediately after another H score arguing for the previously mentioned offensive foul in the post.
Believe me I would not allow a bench statistician to get into it with us at the table.Besides this team had a scorekeeper at the table with us.

Having more facts, I agree that this is too many warnings.

BatteryPowered Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:16pm

First comment; "Coach, control your bench."...maybe point in the general direction of the culprit so the coach knows who to "control".
Second comment; WHACK!

Seems fairly straight forward to me.

stick Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:19pm

Quote:

Everybody-

I had this in a CYO game a few years ago. This guy threw his clipboard on the floor screaming about a call. I whacked him. Whether it's an assistant or a statistician they have no business conducting themselves in that manner. In your scenario they should have been wacked.

bainsey Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BatteryPowered (Post 919596)
First comment; "Coach, control your bench."...maybe point in the general direction of the culprit so the coach knows who to "control".
Second comment; WHACK!

+1

No coach wants to lose that box.

SCalScoreKeeper Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:25pm

that's what I thought everybody-these officials were being observed by one of the area supervisors so hopefully it was discussed pre-game.

Adam Wed Jan 22, 2014 01:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper (Post 919583)

Warning #2 would have involved free throws.