The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Endgame controversy in No VA (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97046-endgame-controversy-no-va.html)

Camron Rust Sat Jan 18, 2014 04:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude (Post 918931)
Does this interp tell us that "control" is a judgement call?

...Not a "rule" being inadvertently set aside?

It is the only thing I can come up with as to why it is not a CE...or why the powers that be in Virginia would/could not hear a protest concerning the OP.

Something to think about.

That is the only way I can reconcile this case play.

Sharpshooternes Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 918787)
My Association. Long discussion at the Meeting the other night. In this day and age of videos and social media, there is no hiding. We blew it. We are moving on as best we can and going forward.

Care to expand on the discussion that took place at the meeting, what happened with the officials who kicked it, etc

grunewar Sat Jan 18, 2014 02:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 918969)
Care to expand on the discussion that took place at the meeting, what happened with the officials who kicked it, etc

We reviewed the play and discussed the issue at hand and used it as a teaching moment. No discussion or explanation was had about any ramifications for the officials who refereed the game.

Coach Bill Mon Jan 20, 2014 01:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 918987)
We reviewed the play and discussed the issue at hand and used it as a teaching moment. No discussion or explanation was had about any ramifications for the officials who refereed the game.

Did the officials give a reason for their actions? In the video one official raises his right arm to signal it would be a 3 pointer if good, but it looks like he puts the arm down, rather than raising his left arm. In other words, he seems to have caught his mistake and knew the basket shouldn't have counted. It looks like the fans, of course, don't know the rule and rush the court. The officials hustle off the court to avoid the melee.

The only explanation I see is they probably all get in the dressing room and say to each other, "you waved that off, right?". "I thought you did." "Huh?" "I think we just f'ed up."

grunewar Mon Jan 20, 2014 08:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach Bill (Post 919204)
Did the officials give a reason for their actions?

The officials names were never given nor was the video shown. We discussed the play as it was officially reported and what should have been done.

VaTerp Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:34pm

Late to the party but I haven't had time to be on here recently and I happen to have a game tonight at the school where this occurred.

Obviously, I am in the same association as Grunewar and also attended our meeting the other week where we discussed this.

The main takeaway was that crew missed several opportunities to get together and get this right. We all have brain farts and can kick a rule but there was an evident lack of communication and coming together that could have saved the crew from this unfortunate incident.

Names were not mentioned and as expected nothing was discussed about any possible repercussions. I will say that I have since found out who all 3 officials were. I've worked with each of them and 2 of the 3 are state level HS officials. One has worked some D1 men's and another who has worked some level of NCAAW.

It will be very interesting to see how this plays out in terms of post-season assignments from our association.

Adam Mon Jan 27, 2014 03:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 918913)
A number of people have pointed out D1 officials – some of them very experienced – make mistakes, too. It happens.

I agree with Jeff’s comment regarding these officials being fired if this was a D1 game. The NCAA assignors I’ve had all have said the same thing: Everybody kicks calls. They won’t tolerate it if we kick a rule. This play involved kicking a rule.

For those who have asked whether this would’ve been just as egregious if the play was at the end of any of the other three quarters: yes it would because it involved kicking a rule. The only difference is they might have been able to get themselves out of it, especially if it happened at the end of the 2nd quarter since they would’ve had a ten-minute intermission to figure things out.

So if they had called a technical foul and resumed the game at POI, would you think they should be fired?

JetMetFan Mon Jan 27, 2014 05:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 920070)
So if they had called a technical foul and resumed the game at POI, would you think they should be fired?

A technical foul for...?

Adam Mon Jan 27, 2014 05:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 920090)
A technical foul for...?

It's a hypothetical T to ask about how upset he gets about other rule issues that are actually quite common.

I had a boys game last week where we had two quarters where we were going to resume play with .9 second on the clock. One was the 4th quarter, with three free throws for the visiting team trailing by 3.

We gathered to clarify, just to be sure, that the ball could be caught and shot. The coach also asked, just to make sure.

The defense got the rebound anyway, so it didn't matter.

jeremy341a Tue Jan 28, 2014 01:35pm

I had one with .3 remaining and the offense ran the perfect play with the lob. The offense about 3 feet away caught and shot. I had the whistle before the ball got to the rim. If these guys deserved to be fired do I deserve a raise? Maybe not because I thought of this thread before the play began. You guys might have saved me from getting fired.

ilyazhito Wed Sep 12, 2018 05:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 918760)
No, the covering association provided the 3 floor officials and a trained clock operator.

The clock operator is also an official, and is the alternate should one of the 3 floor officials be unable to continue. Therefore, the clock operator also wears a uniform, including the striped shirt. That is why the article author noted that there were 4 men in stripes.

justacoach Wed Sep 12, 2018 05:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1024500)
The clock operator is also an official, and is the alternate should one of the 3 floor officials be unable to continue. Therefore, the clock operator also wears a uniform, including the striped shirt. That is why the article author noted that there were 4 men in stripes.

Can't imagine why you felt the need to revisit this zombie post to add your inimitably enlightened perspective.

Don't you have more important things to do like parsing the rules for Filipino Basketball Association 3 on 3 midget contests?

I know Cecil gives gives priority in varsity assignments for being able to recite such nuggets of wisdom.

BillyMac Thu Sep 13, 2018 06:10am

The Talking Dead ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1024473)
No possibility that some Forum members are brand new and have only read recent posts?

I was wrong, in spades.

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 1024501)
Don't you have more important things to do like parsing the rules for Filipino Basketball Association 3 on 3 midget contests?

Agree. If you're a high school official right now, especially with less than five years of varsity experience, stick to high school rules and mechanics. Become a high school expert.

When you become a college official, only then concentrate on college rules and mechanics. Same advice for FIBA, the NBA, WNBA, etc.

It's way to early to think about situations you will be facing working an NCAA Final Four game, an Olympic final, or an NBA final.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having goals, but take it one step at a time, don't jump the gun, pick your favorite expression.

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.X...=0&w=262&h=178

bob jenkins Thu Sep 13, 2018 07:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1024500)
The clock operator is also an official, and is the alternate should one of the 3 floor officials be unable to continue. Therefore, the clock operator also wears a uniform, including the striped shirt.

reference, please.

deecee Thu Sep 13, 2018 09:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1024510)
reference, please.

Please don't feed him...