The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Backcourt

1) A-1's try rebounds off the backboard and is batted towards the division line by A-2. A-3, while airborne from frontcourt, catches the ball and lands in the backcourt.
2) A-1's try rebounds off the backboard and is batted towards the division line by B-1. A-3, while airborne from frontcourt, catches the ball and lands in the backcourt.
3) A-1's try rebounds off the backboard towards the division line. A-3, while airborne from frontcourt, catches the ball and lands in the backcourt.
4) A-1's Throw-in is batted towards the division line by A-2. A-3, while airborne from frontcourt catches the ball and lands in the backcourt.
5) A-1's Throw-in is towards the division line. A-3, while airborne from frontcourt catches the ball and lands in the backcourt.

Which one(s) is/are legal?
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoochy View Post
1) a-1's try rebounds off the backboard and is batted towards the division line by a-2. a-3, while airborne from frontcourt, catches the ball and lands in the backcourt.
2) a-1's try rebounds off the backboard and is batted towards the division line by b-1. a-3, while airborne from frontcourt, catches the ball and lands in the backcourt.
3) a-1's try rebounds off the backboard towards the division line. a-3, while airborne from frontcourt, catches the ball and lands in the backcourt.
4) a-1's throw-in is batted towards the division line by a-2. a-3, while airborne from frontcourt catches the ball and lands in the backcourt.
5) a-1's throw-in is towards the division line. a-3, while airborne from frontcourt catches the ball and lands in the backcourt.

Which one(s) is/are legal?
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHSAA View Post
Agreed.

And, to be clear, no long switches here.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Agreed.

And, to be clear, no long switches here.
While I agree with this as the rule is current worded, I think this rule is poorly worded. I feel it would be more appropriate for it to say that a player who's team is not in control of the ball is allowed to catch the ball and land in the backcourt.

It would make it very simple and would eliminate all of those cases about the ball being tipped before being caught on a throwin.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2014, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
While I agree with this as the rule is current worded, I think this rule is poorly worded. I feel it would be more appropriate for it to say that a player who's team is not in control of the ball is allowed to catch the ball and land in the backcourt.

It would make it very simple and would eliminate all of those cases about the ball being tipped before being caught on a throwin.
Well... isn't there team control during a throw-in?
Old Fri Jan 17, 2014, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Another little twist.

6) A-1's try rebounds off the backboard and is controlled by B-1. B-1 throws the ball towards the division line. A-3, while airborne from frontcourt, catches the ball and lands in the backcourt.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2014, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
Another little twist.

6) A-1's try rebounds off the backboard and is controlled by B-1. B-1 throws the ball towards the division line. A-3, while airborne from frontcourt, catches the ball and lands in the backcourt.
Legal.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2014, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Another little twist.

What's the twist? this happens reasonably often (several times a year). This shouldn't even be in the discussion for a BC violation, it could actually confuse some.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2014, 04:16pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
What's the twist? this happens reasonably often (several times a year). This shouldn't even be in the discussion for a BC violation, it could actually confuse some.
The twist is likely that many do not know about the exception to the BC rule for the defense intercepting a pass while jumping from the FC, catching, and landing with the ball in the BC.
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well... isn't there team control during a throw-in?
Yes and no. Team control only exists in the context of fouls for a throw-in. For all other purposes, there is effectively no team control.
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Another little twist.

Just for clarification, if the ball is in the air during that pass, and A1 jumps from his/her frontcourt, and catches the ball, it's clearly legal.

What if the ball has bounced in the frontcourt, and A1 jumps from his/her frontcourt, and catches the ball between it's bounces, and then A1 lands in the backcourt? (I have a colleague who insists that this would be a backcourt violation.)
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
What if the ball has bounced in the frontcourt, and A1 jumps from his/her frontcourt, and catches the ball between it's bounces, and then A1 lands in the backcourt? (I have a colleague who insists that this would be a backcourt violation.)
Tell your colleague to read NFHS 9-9-3. The ball being in the air or bouncing has nothing to do with it. It's the human. If the defender is airborne when (s)he catches the ball the play you're describing is legal.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)